New Year? - The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com - Debate Anything The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

New Year?

Debate Information

Should one celebrate New Year at the start of a calendar made in 1582, or should one celebrate his/her New Year on their Birthday?
  1. Live Poll

New Year?

4 votes
    1. On their birthdays
      25.00%
    2. On the start of the year,
      25.00%
    3. Both, why not make two holidays and enjoy!
      25.00%
    4. Celebrate whatever, I don't care
      25.00%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• BarnardotBarnardot 133 Pts   -  
    Should one celebrate New Year at the start of a calendar made in 1582, or should one celebrate his/her New Year on their Birthday?@NotReally

So their birthday means your birthday right? Like you are the boss man and we must always celebrate New year on your birthday or else you are going to get stropy and tell people they must do what you say because that is the option. 

• NotReallyNotReally 92 Pts   -  
    @Barnardot

Barnardot said:
    Should one celebrate New Year at the start of a calendar made in 1582, or should one celebrate his/her New Year on their Birthday?@NotReally

So their birthday means your birthday right? Like you are the boss man and we must always celebrate New year on your birthday or else you are going to get stropy and tell people they must do what you say because that is the option. 

--I must say Barny, you are quite the stalker. I creat a genuine thread for a question and you had to ruin it, didn't you?--

• BarnardotBarnardot 133 Pts   -  
    I must say Barny, you are quite the stalker. I creat a genuine thread for a question and you had to ruin it, didn't you?--@NotReally

I was only saying so in any case if a calendar was made in 1582 it is because it made scents because of all the harvests and moon phases because man was wide awake then and had come out of the dark ages. So why not keep it the same because if we say make a metric calendar the earth isnt going to suddenly go round the sun in 10 months is it.

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 4521 Pts   -  
    If the idea is to have the calendar perfectly attuned to the individual's timeline, then it makes the most sense for them to celebrate the New Year at the exact millisecond of the exact day of the moment they were born each year. For example, if someone was born on August 27th of 1958 at 3:42:59:227, then it is this moment when their calendar, as well as the clock, starts. In other words, on August 27th at 3:42:59:227 of 2022, their calendar should show 01/01/64, and their clock should show 0:00:00:000.

The obvious inconvenience of having such a system is easily mitigated by just accepting the common calendar and celebrating the New Year at the same moment (up to the time zone correction) as everybody else. ;)
  • On their birthday if I am telling the truth. The calendar year is not really a new year it is the same year with a new number, yet, still the best form of year everyone can celebrate as a moment shared by birth and birthday as a united state, large groups of people.

• OakTownAOakTownA 188 Pts   -  
    Personally, I think we should go back to New Years happening on the Spring Equinox. I always found it strange that we start the new year in the middle of a season, but that's just me. ;)