Is Ugly Becoming the New Beautiful? - The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com - Debate Anything The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally by activity where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

Is Ugly Becoming the New Beautiful?

Debate Information

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder yet we have traditionally set our sights on society as a collective deems as beautiful so far as peoples' looks go. 

But nowadays, anything goes and we live in a society of tolerance and universal acceptance of minorities whether it be race, sexual orientation or even size. We don't need to cook up excuses anymore. In fact I do recall a topic in this forum some months ago where a debater insisted his obesity was due to "hormonal or chemical imbalances". It took a large amount of hammering to convince him that the only reason for his condition was his reflexes which caused his arm to continuously dip into a bucket of KFC then bend back towards his mouth....huh, we never heard from him after that.

So, are we headed to seeing Quasimodo look-alike news-readers and tubs of lard in bikinis gracing our beaches?

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• maxxmaxx 826 Pts   -  
    there are many people out there who strive to keep in shape.  i assume you consider obesity the uglyness, sothere are many factors as to why people gett overweight.firsr is in childhood and they are given pies, icecream and many other sweets.. normally as a child, the playing, works off the food. now days, that exercise is almost non existent.  as tehy grow; certain foods become a habit, and these foods loaded with empty nutrients causes a problem at teh celluar level. cells need to "be fed" the proper nutrients, so after one consumes a worthless deficient type of food, the cells are still hungry, your body is not satisfied and sends out more hunger signals; in which, the individual may stuff them self again with worthless foods. This loop along with no exercise leads to obesity.  now on another level, i consider those who sport tatoos all over themselves, along with tons of body rings, nose rings and such, as unattractive.  every genersation has their own idea of what looks good. @Swolliw
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 4244 Pts   -   edited January 6
    People can say whatever they want about beauty, but, at the end of the day, everyone decides for themselves what is beautiful and what is not, and while cultural pressure may alter the public perception somehow, it can only do so much. No matter how much ground the "body positivity movement" gains, the vast majority of the population will keep associating obesity with ugliness - and even most of those who intellectually think that it is wrong to have anything against obese people, sensually their bodies disagree.

I know my beauty preferences well. Someone yelling at me over being discriminatory will not make me see them as any more beautiful; in fact, it will make me see them as much uglier. I find intelligence extremely attractive: someone making a profound intellectual argument using precise logic turns me on. And I find moralism and someone telling others how evil they are extremely unattractive.

This is beautiful and sexy:

Not this:

The first photo demonstrates the height of humanity, the willingness to constantly work on oneself, to become healthier, smarter and richer. The second photo demonstrates its low, the willingness to settle for little, to be complacent with how things are - and to be proud of it.

• Luigi7255Luigi7255 484 Pts   -  
    @MayCaesar

Off-topic, but I really hate Cosmopolitan. They say "Objectifying women is bad" but then they turn around and objectify men, and also encourage weight gain and vilify weight loss under the guise of "body positivity". They also have been shown to put drawn er... """"""things""""" on the covers of their Twitter posts, and nothing happens to them.
    MayCaesar
    "I will never change who I am just because you do not approve."
  • maxxmaxx 826 Pts   -  
    evolution alone, in ancient hiumans, would tend to weed out those over weight; so we are gentically inclined to view those in shape as attractive.  @Luigi7255
  • SwolliwSwolliw 1328 Pts   -  
    @MayCaesar
    The first photo demonstrates the height of humanity

Quite right there. She doesn't even need the desk to hold them up. The second would probably break the desk and the Macbook all in one go.

• BarnardotBarnardot 63 Pts   -  
    Quite right there. She doesn't even need the desk to hold them up. The second would probably break the desk and the Macbook all in one go.@Swolliw

That’s being real racist because your picking on a Chinese girl and then being sexist about both of them.

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 4244 Pts   -  
    @Barnardot

The moral police has arrived; watch out! No fun allowed, of which we are proud.
    @Barnardot @MayCaesar
    That’s being real racist because your picking on a Chinese girl and then being sexist about both of them.

Guilty as charged, if you want to take discrimination to the nth degree. Am I racist and sexist in practice? No I'm not and I have consistently campaigned against both in these forums. I also consistently have my tongue planted firmly in the side of my cheek.

By the same token I could quite fairly accuse you of the same prejudices. How do you know that one of the females shown is Chinese? And why do you refer to her as a girl? She appears to me to be a mature adult.

And, for that matter, why did you leave out that fat tattooed bi***?

• BarnardotBarnardot 63 Pts   -   edited January 9
    See what I mean your now gaslighting because your throwing back sexism and racism back at me by trying to blame me when it is you that was and not me. Then you do more sexism about the big woman and I think you forgot to call her a ranger also which is what ossies call red heads anyway. What  a load of dog mess.   @Swolliw
    @Barnardot

I have not seen anything in what @Swolliw posted that would refer to the person shown on the second photo being a female. Everything he said would apply to a similarly overweight man as well. Just because the person on the photo happens to be a woman does not make the comment sexist. 

It is much like all those people that, whenever you criticize someone who happens to be black, accuse you of racism. "What, you dislike some of Obama's policies? It is clearly because you dislike black people!"
  • BarnardotBarnardot 63 Pts   -  
    I see your point and that guy was trying to take the piece out of me by calling that woman what he did. But even then you should not make such tard jokes like that because it is offensive to big girls.@MayCaesar
    @Barnardot

For something to be offensive, it has to offend someone - but @Swolliw did not say what he did anywhere where this girl is likely to, or, at least, is supposed to, see it, so she cannot be offended by it, and, therefore, it cannot be offensive.

It may be considered offensive in the sense of offending some principle of decency, but decency does not outlaw some friendly jesting with some inappropriate jokes. ;)
    @Barnardot ;
    a ranger also which is what ossies call red heads anyway. 

I get the impression that you are talking about "Rangas" which is the Australian slang for a person with ginger or red hair. Interestingly the terminology comes from the word for Orangutan which is a type of baboon emanating from our neighbouring country, Indonesia. 

It's a bit like this site really, I don't know how many rangas there are but there seems to be more than a few baboons.

• Luigi7255Luigi7255 484 Pts   -  
    @Barnardot

Practice what you preach...
    "I will never change who I am just because you do not approve."