frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Abortion is a woman's right

Debate Information

I do not believe that life begins at conception, or that a 2-month old fetus is a human being. I understand that many abortions occur because of irresponsible sex, but there are also circumstances where the pregnancy must be terminated in order to preserve the mother's health. This is also usually the case during late-term abortions. Generally I don't believe in late-term abortions except in the instance of a medical necessity.
islander507spandamtarararabrexitBaconToes
  1. Live Poll

What do you think?

19 votes
    1. I tend to be pro-life
      47.37%
    2. I tend to be pro-choice
      52.63%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
22%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• islander507islander507 194 Pts   -  
    That's right, except late trimester abortions - those shouldn't be just up to the mothers 
    spandam
  • spandamspandam 43 Pts   -  
    I disagree, abortion should be decided by the government not the woman.
  • CovenyCoveny 419 Pts   -  

Bodily integrity or bodily autonomy means that you have the right to control what happens to your body even if that hurts or kills others. This is the reason that even after your death, your organs cannot be harvested to save lives, without your consent. You have two kidneys", and only need one, do you want to be forced to give up one of those kidneys to save another human being? What about a lung? Just as you don"t want to be forced to into something affecting your body, women don"t want to be force into something affecting their body. Abortion is the most basic form of freedom that exists, the freedom to do with your body whatever you wish.

Now if you are ok with having choices about what you can do to or with your body force on you, then my second point would be that abortions lower crime rates. Lower crime rates help us all. The correlation has been proven from multiple studies, but I"m going to link one that discredits the Donohue-Levitt hypothesis. I expect you to try to use the Donohue-Levitt hypothesis to try and disprove my point that abortions lower crime rates, so I'd rather just address that up front and skip a step.

http://freakonomics.com/2005/05/15/abortion-and-crime-who-should-you-believe/

WhyTrumpmelanielustSaltyDogPogue
  • melanielustmelanielust 285 Pts   -  
    I disagree because of my first point and because I believe individual freedoms are important, the government should not interfere @spandam
    pequ
  • pequpequ 7 Pts   -  
    I agree with @Melanielust . It's interesting, because no intervention is conservative, while woman's rights are a little bit more liberal. Great mix.
  • SaltyDogSaltyDog 21 Pts   -  
    but the mother did consent by having sex. just because she regrets it does not give her the right to deny a child their right to life. 
    brexitanonymousdebater
  • brexitbrexit 22 Pts   -  
    I agree with @saltydog , she should be practicing straight sex.
  • ale5ale5 263 Pts   -  
    Right to choose is a basic right for women.  Taking away rights for Early abortions is not right.
    SaltyDogBaconToesPogue
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible
    - Walt Disney
  • SaltyDogSaltyDog 21 Pts   -  
    you do not have the right to deny the rights of others regardless of situation
    BaconToesPogue
  • CovenyCoveny 419 Pts   -  
    You have a right to control your body. You have a right to stop those who would use your body against your wishes. But for some reason when that right deals with a fetus people want to ignore the mother's rights.
    8BitHippieBaconToesPogue
  • BaconToesBaconToes 236 Pts   -  

In any situtation??? Even with freedom of speech, I can't scream "Fire" in a crowded theater.
    Freedom of speech applies only to public government property. The theater is a private company. They can limit your freedom of speech by kicking you out.
    In Schenck v. United States, the Supreme court decided that dangerous speech is prohibited. SaltyDog is correct, you do not have the right to deny the people their constitutional rights.
    Pogue
    i fart cows
  • PoguePogue 584 Pts   -   edited February 2018
    @brexit
    Wait, why straight sex? You can not get pregnant from gay sex. Unless you are saying gay marriage and/or sex is wrong? Which would be irrelevant. 
    I could either have the future pass me or l could create it. 

“We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain .” - Benjamin Franklin  So flat Earthers, man-made climate change deniers, and just science deniers.

I friended myself! 
  • MikeMike 97 Pts   -  

The only rights we have are “unalienable Rights.”

A woman has a choice to kill her child, or not, at any stage of the child’s life. Just like we all have a choice to kill ourselves (aka suicide) or anyone else (aka: murder, self-defense, or during a war). When it comes to one’s direr choice of killing, man-made law is impotent.