The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom: - The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com - Debate Anything The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom:

Debate Information

What does the bible mean by the fear of the Lord?

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• RickeyDRickeyD 770 Pts   -   edited May 3
    @pamelajohnson1 ; When one honors and respects (reverences) our Lord's sovereignty over and in their personal life by trusting in Jesus Christ as their Lord they receive God's wisdom via the indwelling Holy Spirit who initiates a work of sanctification, a setting apart, through wisdom and obedience and knowledge...and God's knowledge is complete.

“The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, And the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding." Proverbs 9:10 (NKJV)

"Fear" = Proverbs 9:10 = Hebrew =
    yirah: a fear
    Original Word: יִרְאָה
    Part of Speech: Noun Feminine
    Transliteration: yirah
    Phonetic Spelling: (yir-aw')
    Definition: a fear
    NAS Exhaustive Concordance
    Word Origin
    from yare
    Definition
    a fear
    NASB Translation
    awesome (1), extremely* (1), fear (35), fearing (1), reverence (5).

• pamelajohnson1pamelajohnson1 113 Pts   -  
    RickeyD said:
    @pamelajohnson1 ; When one honors and respects (reverences) our Lord's sovereignty over and in their personal life by trusting in Jesus Christ as their Lord they receive God's wisdom via the indwelling Holy Spirit who initiates a work of sanctification, a setting apart, through wisdom and obedience and knowledge...and God's knowledge is complete.

“The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, And the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding." Proverbs 9:10 (NKJV)

"Fear" = Proverbs 9:10 = Hebrew =
    yirah: a fear
    Original Word: יִרְאָה
    Part of Speech: Noun Feminine
    Transliteration: yirah
    Phonetic Spelling: (yir-aw')
    Definition: a fear
    NAS Exhaustive Concordance
    Word Origin
    from yare
    Definition
    a fear
    NASB Translation
    awesome (1), extremely* (1), fear (35), fearing (1), reverence (5).

That is the everyone understands the fear of the Lord.
    The fear of God keeps us from sinning. Exodus 20:20 “Moses said to the people, ‘Do not be afraid. God has come to test you, so that the fear of God will be with you to keep you from sinning.
    Mathew 10:28, 28 Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.
  • RickeyDRickeyD 770 Pts   -   edited May 3
    @pamelajohnson1 ; Though the "fear" of the Lord's wrath may act as a deterrent to sin...people continue to sin irrespective of their salvation status as we're all encumbered by a sinful nature in our decaying flesh. The "fear of the Lord" that is the beginning of wisdom has nothing to do with fearing God's judgement but "reverencing" the Lord and respecting His sovereignty and our place as sinful human beings.
    RickeyD said:
    @pamelajohnson1 ; Though the "fear" of the Lord's wrath may act as a deterrent to sin...people continue to sin irrespective of their salvation status as we're all encumbered by a sinful nature in our decaying flesh. The "fear of the Lord" that is the beginning of wisdom has nothing to do with fearing God's judgement but "reverencing" the Lord and respecting His sovereignty and our place as sinful human beings.
    Fear means: an unpleasant emotion caused by the belief that someone or something is dangerous, likely to cause pain, or a threat: 
    That's the reason people keep sinning. They don't fear God. Of course we respect him, but we also fear him.  He can turn his back on us and let us go to hell. They think of God as a man. He is not a man.  He is not moved by our flattery. When you learn to fear God, you will stop sinning.  People think that they can do what they want to, then pray and ask for forgiveness and they will be forgiven.  If they are committing sin consciously their prayers fall on deaf ears.  We can stop sinning. Most Christian use Paul as an example of fighting with sin.  Paul did not fight with sin.  There are thoughts that come into your head.  It's unclean spirits trying to get you to sin against God all the time. The devil uses people to upset you. People that you love. There are many different kinds of schemes that the devil uses to steal, kill and destroy.
  • RickeyDRickeyD 770 Pts   -   edited May 4
    @pamelajohnson1 ; The reason people keep sinning is the fact that they're sinners by nature and the only bulwark that provides any resistance to the sin-nature is the Holy Spirit given to all who believe in Jesus as Lord and receive the New Nature that wars against the old (Ephesians 1:13-14; Galatians 5:16; 2 Corinthians 5:17). No one but Jesus is free of sin until they shed this body of death at their last exhalation in Time and that being relevant ONLY for the redeemed in Christ by faith.

The Law of God and man only defines sin and culpability (Romans 3:20); the Law of God provides no atonement or life. Even the "fear" of retribution by God or the State is not an effective deterrent to sin and crime in many cases as is exemplified by the debauchery in society and the crime rate and the high rates of recidivism.

Instead of quoting me...why don't people in this form actually use the "reply" option so I receive notification that you've rebutted my earlier response?

Written by Paul who, through the Spirit, authored two-thirds of the New Testament,

In romans chapter 7 it is telling us about the flesh when it is governed by the soul.  The soul governs the flesh. In chapter 8, it tells us that the sin can be under control if we walk by the spirit and not the flesh. Chapter 6:15 says, What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid. 
    So Paul is explaining that if you are not walking after the spirit you will still be a slave to sin.:@RickeyD
  • RickeyDRickeyD 770 Pts   -  
    @pamelajohnson1 ; Paul, who wrote two-thirds of the New Testament, confesses in Romans 7 that the redeemed spirit of man continues to struggle with a sin-nature and though the redeemed approach sin with a new-nature (2 Corinthians 5:17), they abhor sin and fight against its influence in their life.... yet the redeemed continue to sin from time to time in word, thought or deed as our Lord enhanced culpability to include mens rea or the thought life; therefore, in the New Covenant, even the "thought" of the sin is culpability (Matthew 5:27-28); therefore, the Christian is NOT absent sin irrespective of our walk with the Spirit as we fail to honor the Spirit from time to time (Galatians 5:15).

Our saving grace as a Christian is the Gift of GRACE by covenant promise that our Father chooses to NOT see our sin when we become His child by faith in the Son, Jesus Christ; as those who are redeemed by faith, we have received the IMPUTATION of Messiah's righteousness over our life, forever (2 Corinthians 5:21); therefore, we are made "positionally right" with the Father by covenant promise (Hebrews 8:12) and the Father therefore "chooses" to not see our sin, our imperfections, but only the righteousness of His dear Son over our lives and the indwelling Holy Spirit, with great mercy and compassion and patience, walks the Christian daily in the process of sanctification and incrementally transforms them into the obedient image of Jesus Christ as the Spirit prepares the Christian for service in the coming New Jerusalem. If we say we have no sin, we are a and the truth is not in us (1 John 1:8).

The Father loves us and forgiveness us in response to what the Son, Jesus Christ, has done for us at Golgotha as there is NOTHING worthy in and of ourselves that is attractive or honorable to our Father. We are "made" worthy by faith in the worthiness of Jesus via the imputation of HIS righteousness over our life by faith (2 Corinthians 5:21).

So what are you saying?  Are you saying that if we do sin it's under grace.  Paul talked about the wretched man he is. Which is before you are born again. After being born again, you will sin sometimes uncontiously but not contiously. If you fear God you not sin contiously anymore. @Rickey
  • RickeyDRickeyD 770 Pts   -   edited May 4
    @pamelajohnson1 ; Incorrect, Paul's narrative is one of the redeemed as he loves the Law of God but finds his sin-nature consistently seeking compromise with sin and tells us that his victory is in Jesus who frees him from that body of death...HOW? Through the imputation of Messiah's perfection into his life and the daily guidance of the Holy Spirit through sanctification.

It's not "if we do sin" but "WHEN we sin" as a Christian which is why John speaks to his Christian audience and tells them that if we confess our sin He is faithful and just to forgive us of our sin and cleanse us from all unrighteousness (1 John 1:9)....the Christian repents NOT to be saved again but to maintain intimacy with our Lord...as our sin convicts our conscience which is methodically guided by the indwelling Holy Spirit; therefore, when the Christian falls short of the Father's desire for their life...they apologize to maintain intimacy with the Father which is the greatest gift and work of the Spirit in our life.The Christian does not attain perfection until free of this body of death and sin-nature that wars against our new-nature in Christ.

Romans 6:13-14,13 And do not present your members as instruments of unrighteousness to sin but present yourselves to God as being alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God. 14 For sin shall not have dominion over you, for you are not under law but under grace., The order was changed after Jesus died on the cross.  After we are born again, we are able to overcome sin.   Before you are born again, you are still under the law. @RickeyD
     I have realized that your understanding of the bible is just like those who attend Church every Sunday and Wednesday for bible study. 
    @pamelajohnson1 ; My understanding of the Scriptures are from study and listening to the Holy Spirit.
    I bet you don't understand the head coverings
    @pamelajohnson1 ; Head coverings for what?

1 Corinthians 11:3 3 But I want you to realize that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is man, and the head of Christ is, @RickeyD
    RickeyD
    The reason I'm asking you about head coverings is because I think that you love Christ, but to a certain existent. You said that you are being led by the Holy Spirit, but I don't see that.  You have not gone pass the writing on the page.  The Holy Spirit lead you into all truth.  If the Holy Spirit was leading you, there are some things that I have told you that you should see, but you don't.  Like the body, soul and spirit.  You say that the soul and spirit are the same thing.  I've tried to show you that they are not. The soul leads the body.  When the bible mentions flesh, it's talking about the soul, because the soul governs the flesh.  It holds all of your emotions and your thinking.  The spirit is like God. God is Spirit. It is how he communicates with us.  He can't go through the soul because it is like a filthy rag. He has to go through the Spirit.  Adam and Eve first started out living by the Spirit, and the flesh (soul) followed. They were not concerned about their flesh, but when they sinned the Spirit went down and the soul came up.  Then they became aware of their flesh., because the soul governs the flesh. Then instead of God dwelling inside them, he was then outside of them.  That's why they had to give offerings and sacrifices for their sins. It had to be done outwardly, because they were no longer connected to God spirit to spirit. If you apply what i am telling to when you see the word spirit or flesh. then you will see it. Please don't take offense, I'm just trying to help.  As believers in Christ always seek the truth.@RickeyD
  • RickeyDRickeyD 770 Pts   -   edited May 5
    @pamelajohnson1 ; The Holy Spirit teaches me that human kind is comprised of a Trinity i.e. Mind, Body, Spirit. I see no place for the soul as I believe the soul and spirit are synonymous. Many theologians would disagree with me but I must stand by what the Spirit teaches me, not men. It is the spirit of man that communes with God who is Spirit (John 4:24) and to suggest there is another entity in addition to the spirit seems to me as nothing but confusion and redundancy and irrelevancy.

Well in this statement you are telling me something different than you did before.  You are saying mind which is the same as the soul.  So, you are right. So, when Paul was talking about what a wretched man he is, he was speaking of his mind and body.  The mind governs the body.  Romans 7:24. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death?  In Romans 6, He is born again and now walking by the spirit.
    Romans 6:1 - 4,1What then shall we say? Shall we continue in sin so that grace may increase? 2Certainly not! How can we who died to sin live in it any longer? 3Or aren’t you aware that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death? 4We were therefore buried with Him through baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may walk in newness of life  @RickeyD
    @pamelajohnson1 ; Whatever makes you happy...not really concerned about the non-essentials...thanks Pam.
    It doesn't matter that it makes me happy, but I know that the Holy Spirit revealed to you. 
    Those that attend a Church that is not filled with the Holy Spirit do not understand the spiritual things.  They think they do. They are trapped in their A, B, Cs.  They are under a different covering.  It is a religious spirit, whose mission is to keep them in infancy. The pasters head is covered.  His head is not suppose to be covered by anything else but Jesus.  @RickeyD
    @pamelajohnson1 ; Not sure what the/a Church has done to earn such animosity from you but the Holy Spirit tells you to not forsake the assembling of yourself with others...if you are seeking obedience, Church attendance should be a priority as opposed to disparaging the institution founded by Messiah Jesus.

@RickeyD Matthew 18:20 - For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

1 John2:26-27,

1 John2:26-27,

1 John2:26-27,26 These things have I written unto you concerning them that seduce you.

27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him. 

No one has done anything to me,  I understand that the churches are bodies of their own.  They have members. They are all divided.  None of the churches are on the same page.  This is what happen then and still today.  

1 Corinthians 3:4-9

4 For while one saith, I am of Paul; and another, I am of Apollos; are ye not carnal?

5 Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man?

6 I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase.

7 So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase.

8 Now he that planteth and he that watereth are one: and every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labour.

9 For we are labourers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, ye are God's building.

Hebrews 5:12

For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat.

They are babies

RickeyD