What Does Religious Freedom Mean? - The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com - Debate Anything The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

What Does Religious Freedom Mean?

Debate Information

This is fact, not opinion.
SkepticalOneOakTownA

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• dallased25dallased25 253 Pts   -  
    It's amazing that so many don't get this today. There's been a presumption all my life, especially where I live in Texas, that everyone is christian and because of that everyone should respect christian beliefs and people. I do not. I have worked at companies, that would hold company guided prayers, of which I did not participate and did not bow my head. I was actually asked in one of these companies "Can you not just bow your head in respect? It's just a head bow...even if you don't believe." I said, "would you bow for Islam, or a Hindu prayer knowing that you are showing respect to something you don't believe in or actually respect?" He said no and that was the end of it, because the truth was he only wanted respect for his beliefs and not others. He was trying to force me to conform to his beliefs and I would not. This is the only time I had to fight back, but I have a friend who I worked with who was fired from a job once by a Baptist boss who found out she was an atheist and tried to convert her. The religious can be some of the most disgusting people on the planet when it comes to respecting others right to not believe. 
    JulesKorngoldSkepticalOneOakTownA
  • RickeyDRickeyD 901 Pts   -  
    @JulesKorngold ; Religious freedom means that you are free to believe in Jesus Christ as Lord and LIVE and find success and meaning in this Life constrained by Time and physics as well as life in Eternity subsequent death of the body in Time - or - you are free to live the lies of the religion of atheism and live a life of futility and death in Hell. Your choice.

Religious freedom does NOT mean that the atheist has the right to destroy the United States which was founded upon Christian principles...the atheist does not have the right to indoctrinate our children in Darwin-Marx-LGBTQ perversion and insanity.

JulesKorngoldOakTownA
  • JulesKorngoldJulesKorngold 269 Pts   -  
    @RickeyD
    You are not welcome on my debates.  Spread your propaganda elsewhere .
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 4589 Pts   -  
    There is no special "religious freedom"; there is just freedom. It does not matter what you believe and what your holy books tell you to do: you are free to do the exact same things as everyone else, and only those things. "Religious freedom" specifically is a concept saying that practicing your religion and preaching it is not an exception. All the rights and rules still apply as you are doing so.

In addition, even if you are persecuted for doing something that your religion promotes, it still might not be a violation of your religious freedom. If you practice a religion in North Korea that tells you that saying "F you" to the ruler of your country is a virtuous thing to do and get prosecuted for that, what is being violated is your general rights: people who do not follow your religion would still be persecuted for doing so.

Violation of one's religious freedom is discrimination against them specifically on the basis of following that religion. An example of this is persecution of Christians in the early Soviet Union: people were getting killed and imprisoned very specifically for following a very specific religion which was disfavored by the Party. Needless to say, this kind of thing nowadays does not occur in civilized countries. There is no "persecution of Christians" or "persecution of Muslims" in the US or the UK, for instance. Not to a significant degree, at least (some political discrimination obviously occurs everywhere).
  • RickeyDRickeyD 901 Pts   -  
    @MayCaesar ; There is religious freedom in the United States, perhaps not from where you promulgate you marxist filth...but here, we have religious tolerance...sometimes to a greater degree than is healthy or sustainable.
  • BarnardotBarnardot 157 Pts   -  
    @JulesKorngold well it’s all true about what you said but your got to remember that goddists don’t give a stuffing at all about that because there always telling al there baloney to every one any way. Because they get there brownies point s if they get other people in the fold. So there going to fill as many people up as possible with there religion Dog mess. 
  • @JulesKorngold

Freedom of religion is not religious freedom, though America prides itself in using religious freedom as a selling point for immigration and citizenship. Freedom of religion is the head start in a legal sense to say a religion may form anywhere, at any time, and it is not always the same and done intentionally by people.

• JoeKerrJoeKerr 247 Pts   -  
    Argument Topic: What Does Religious Freedom Mean?

@JulesKorngold
    I agree with what you say. The religious already have religious freedom. All I ask for the rest of us is freedom from religion.
    John_C_87
  • That is funny as religions carry there own cost.
  • BarnardotBarnardot 157 Pts   -  
    @JoeKerr That’s the best answer I have herd in a longest time because when you look at it goddists have to much freedom and just go crazy spirting out all there religion baloney on regular people so what we need is freedom from that.
  • @Barnardot
     That’s the best answer I have herd in a longest time because when you look at it goddists have to much freedom and just go crazy spirting out all there religion baloney on regular people so what we need is freedom from that.

" In looking for a more perfect union" it might be better to say what we are looking for is a liberty from religion. A freedom is something already found in an object and is then either proven to others to be without cost, or it is proven to other to have a cost.

We as people exercises a freedom that is questioned by others to have a cost in opposite of liberty which is a request from others to speak or act freely. Get it? One we take upon ourselves freedom or it is a natural process in objects, the other liberty is a request which can be as high in value as to seek permission to speak or act freely.