Is it possible for an immortal being to die and come back to life? - The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com - Debate Anything The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

Is it possible for an immortal being to die and come back to life?

Debate Information

If death means ceasing to exist, then I don't see how it is logically possible. If this definition of death is not accepted, please provide a justifiable alternative.

A supreme being is just like a normal being...but with sour cream and black olives.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
22%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• anarchist100anarchist100 644 Pts   -  
    @SkepticalOne
    I assume that you are talking about Jesus's death and resurrection, in that case Christians do not believe that death is ceasing to exist, like other religions they believe that death is when the body fails so the soul goes somewhere else.
  • @anarchist100

In that case, is the sacrifice not akin to changing clothes? 'I sacrificed my human outfit for the sins of all mankind!' 
    dallased25
    A supreme being is just like a normal being...but with sour cream and black olives.
  • BarnardotBarnardot 157 Pts   -  
    @SkepticalOne If death means ceasing to exist, then I don't see how it is logically possible

Well if you answer your own question then I reckon you will see why because your said is it possible for an immortal human being to die then come back to life so therefore if some one is immoral then he is never going to die so even if you chop him in to little peices he’s going to come back to life so to speak don’t you think.

• @Barnardot

if some one is immoral then he is never going to die so even if you chop him in to little peices he’s going to come back to life so to speak don’t you think.

Think about it like this: if I'm an immortal criminal and I'm scheduled to be executed. Have I paid for my crimes by merely sitting in a sparky chair and playing dead?

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 4589 Pts   -  
    The conventional definition of mortality includes eventual death as an inherent part of the creature's condition. Humans are mortal not because they can die, but because they do die eventually no matter what they do (at present, at least): we age, our organisms gradually fall apart, and eventually the whole construct crumbles.

An intelligent AI could be considered immortal, in the sense of not inevitably dying with age. It could still be physically destroyed, ceasing to exist as an intelligent being - but it (supposedly) would not naturally die over time.
    Such an AI could be destroyed, broken into parts, then reassembled, continuing to function. That would be an example of an immortal being dying and coming back to life. Although, of course, the old philosophical question of "is it the same being, or a different one?" would apply here - from a certain perspective, a creature, once it has died, is permanently dead, and whatever creature exists after its "resurrection" is not the same intelligent being, even if it shares the same consciousness.
    SkepticalOne
  • @MayCaesar
    An intelligent AI could be considered immortal, in the sense of not inevitably dying with age. It could still be physically destroyed, ceasing to exist as an intelligent being - but it (supposedly) would not naturally die over time.I disagree.The reason I disagree machines age as well as computers. Whereas the simulation which is the projection made from a machine remains the same in almost every way, we still preume by basic laws of science the machine will also suffer wear. Other then that I agree with what you ahve written.
    A.I. shares the same advantage as cloning in a small way that the process can create identical copies of the other. This process hides aging it does not end it.

.@SkepticalOne

The basic concept of immortals is that they do not ever come back to mortality, life they remain immortal. In basic the reason why, you cannot kill something that is dead, is because something is dead. How is it moving and not acting like other objects of life which leave life is the question of finding stages of immortality. People who have become stars had at one time been believed to have become immortal is a way living on screen far past their body’s lives.

• @MayCaesar

I can accept that. I have questions though. Should we call it 'death' if it is temporary and (presumably) consciousness was never lost or temporary lost? I mean, to the mortal it might appear to be death, but to the immortal in the story it is merely, what? ... a temporary change of location?
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 4589 Pts   -  
    @SkepticalOne

Well, there is a term "clinical death", for example, after which the person sometimes keeps on living and regains their consciousness. I suppose it depends on the definition one uses. "Death" can mean temporarily cession of vital functions of the organism, or it can mean something more permanent and irreversible.

It is also possible, in principle, to "experience death", rather than mentally skipping the whole process. One can imagine an AI the hardware of which falls apart, leading to the death of consciousness as such, but the most basic functions of which are still running. This AI would not be able to think about anything in particular, but it would still "feel" everything and be aware of the world around it. It would be similar to how babies at the early stages of their lives feel. If the AI is kept in this state for a million years before being reassembled and regaining its consciousness, then it might very well feel that a million years have passed, even if it has no conscious recollection of its experience during those years.

Finally, of course, it is not impossible that one can have multiple consciousness existing in multiple realities. In the Matrix-like world, for instance, one can die in this simulated reality, only to wake up in another reality. They could spend a million years in that reality, then come back to this reality; in this reality they could be immortal in a sense, with death still being a major event (leading to, perhaps, inability to get back into this reality for a very long period of time).
  • @SkepticalOne It looks what we are debating the understandable definition of immortal?

@MayCaesar

In the Matrix-like world, for instance, one can die in this simulated reality, only to wake up in another reality. It should be made clear May Caesar a Matrix is a math concept reality created for the purpose of graphics placement in a 2D plain. It uses is to link Sin, Cosine, and Tan in Pi and was written approximation there are many math laws we used to obtain the numbers in the matrix while the laws of mathematics which governing our values rest outside any matrix.

A matrix represents a collection of numbers arranged in an order of rows and columns. It is necessary to enclose the elements of a matrix in parentheses or brackets. 
    A matrix with 9 elements is shown below. 

Mathematics | Matrix Introduction - GeeksforGeeks
    @SkepticalOne ;Think about it like this: if I'm an immortal criminal and I'm scheduled to be executed. Have I paid for my crimes by merely sitting in a sparky chair and playing dead?

Well that’s a smart way of looking at it and I know what you meen there but your got to think that if the court say found you gilty of serially rapping and murdering like 100 3 years olds and the judge was smart enough then he would give you like 100 years for each one then you would be in the slamer for 10000 years and because your immortal then your going to have to sick it out for 10000 years and any way all the other prisoners are going to stick it out then suck it in you every day so in the end your going to pay for it all right. I bet you never thought of that.

• Barnardot said:
    @SkepticalOne ;Think about it like this: if I'm an immortal criminal and I'm scheduled to be executed. Have I paid for my crimes by merely sitting in a sparky chair and playing dead?

Well that’s a smart way of looking at it and I know what you meen there but your got to think that if the court say found you gilty of serially rapping and murdering like 100 3 years olds and the judge was smart enough then he would give you like 100 years for each one then you would be in the slamer for 10000 years and because your immortal then your going to have to sick it out for 10000 years and any way all the other prisoners are going to stick it out then suck it in you every day so in the end your going to pay for it all right. I bet you never thought of that.

That's a great idea, but that's not analogous to the Biblical resurrection story. Jesus, an immortal diety, is said to have 'died' for the sins of humanity...every. sin. ever. This would include every single instance of child rape, sexual assault, kidnapping, murder, genocide, etc...and there was only a death-act in exchange. Would that really be justice? I think you are close to realizing my point.
  • @SkepticalOne

I think there is a confusion between the principles of Immortality and damnation being made. The Bible is not a book writing of the human search for immortality it is writings of human mortality including Jesus. Jesus was dammed as a human and as a sole the crucifixion was not the end of a criminal punishment it was the start with over 2,000 others.

Again, yes, it is impossible for an immortal to die and come back to life, immortal does not mean the possessor is still living, immortals are banished from existence and held from a path of reincarnation. Thus, the real fear created by the actions of Jesus. There are carvings a works that can be dated before Christ translated to an understanding but to my last account some are held by limited Universities and the others are in the Vatican vaults all are hard to get too due to the frail conditions of the works. Which is understandable.

Also keep in mind that Buddhism whereas Taoism has a fundamental difference in ideology that applies to the ideas of Christs assuming of human suffering and grasps at immortality in relationship to Taoism being a kind of study of all religion built on a reflection of meditations inward to oneself. So, principles of Buddhism have been changed dramatically through the years and have included the art of types of self-mumification.

@SkepticalOne ;Would that really be justice? I think you are close to realizing my point.

Oh yes and this is what I am coming to realize because death is the ultimate act and Jesus did that ultimate act for us

SkepticalOne
  • Barnardot said:
    @SkepticalOne ;Would that really be justice? I think you are close to realizing my point.

Oh yes and this is what I am coming to realize because death is the ultimate act and Jesus did that ultimate act for us

Not us, those people Jesus defied self-evident truth for is limited by request much like someone else we know.
    @John_C_87 that’s right and Jesus staid for give them for they know what they’re doing.