frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Is Child Sexual Abuse Harmful by Itself?

Debate Information

I will argue that the vast majority of the harm that is correlated with kids having sex with adults stems from factors that are besides the sex itself. I don't want to waste my time writing something up that no one will attempt to argue against so if you are planning to debate me please comment "will debate" below.

Disclaimer: I have uncertainty about this view but I will attempt to play devils advocate.

DEFENITIONS:
Child sexual abuse: A person that is under 18 years old having sex (that they chose to have) with someone that is five or more years older than them.

Debra AI Prediction

For
Predicted To Win
100%
Likely
0%
Unlikely

Details +

For:

0% (0 Points)

Against:

0% (0 Points)

Votes: 0

Voting Format: Formal Voting

Rounds: 3

Time Per Round: 48 Hours Per Round

Voting Period: 7 Days

Round 1

Round 2

Round 3

Voting

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• Round 1 | Position: For
    BarnardotBarnardot 238 Pts   -  
    When you look at it the physical damage is small because the stiches in the behind of a boy will heel but the mental damage in the brain will last all of his life.
    excon
    BannedThoughtsBannedThoughts 2 Pts   -  
    @Barnardot when I said harm I meant mental harm as well as physical harm.
    BoganBogan 203 Pts   -  
    This is an interesting topic.    Exactly what is meant by "child abuse" or "child exploitation"?

'Age of Consent" laws very wildly across the globe.       the Age of consent in Spain is 13, most of eastern Europe 14, France 15, in most of the western world 16.    Here in Australia the age of consent was 16 in every state and territory except Queensland, where it was 17.   This has now been reduced to 16 to keep Queensland law in synch with other states.       But in the USA it is weird.     The Age of Consent appears to be 18 years of age.    Although I understand that some states have a :Three year rule" whereby a young man may have sex with a 16 or 17 year old girl, as long as he is not more than 3 years older than her.

I can only conclude that the Age of Consent is not a black and white issue here.

Similarly, I would opine that most people take a different view of underage sex according to gender.     Most people may denounce an older man having sex with a 15 year old girl but in the case of an older woman "making a man" out of a 15 year old boy would be a lot different.    Especially if the older woman was very attractive, in which case most men would shrug and say "lucky little bugger."

Then there is the undeniable fact that some children seek sexual fulfilment themselves.    Most play around with other kids, but some may seek the attentions of an older adult they trust who they think will not go too far.     

• Round 2 | Position: For
    BarnardotBarnardot 238 Pts   -  
    Also if you make child abuse legal then it won’t be abuse any more it will be saying that a pedro is treating a kid as normal so the you open the can of wirms and you have to say that a kid with stiches in the behind is legal and when he gets older and takes crack and hangs him self that’s legal.