What Is Truth And Does It Exist? - The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com - Debate Anything The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

What Is Truth And Does It Exist?

Debate Information

For hundreds of years, philosophers have battled over this question.  Is there a Truth with a capital "T"?  Do we each have our own truth with a small "t"?  Many philosophers rejected the idea of Truth as wishful thinking.  A few went further and denied even the existence of truths (no capital).

What do you think?  Your answer is important because all your thinking and actions depend on it.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• maxxmaxx 954 Pts   -  
    It is but a human concept and only exists with-in our minds. It does not exist in nature. @JulesKorngold
    John_C_87
  • @maxx
    It is but a human concept and only exists with-in our minds. It does not exist in nature.

A rock is a truth...It is on the ground, on a ledge, and many places...our minds may change the name the rock is called to stone, our minds change the name of a rock not the truth by calling it a stone. In basic Maxx philosophy questions truth, no truth no philosophy…

• JulesKorngoldJulesKorngold 306 Pts   -  
    maxx said:
    It is but a human concept and only exists with-in our minds. It does not exist in nature. @JulesKorngold
    So...What evidence do you have for that?
  • maxxmaxx 954 Pts   -  
    the lack of it anywhere but in our thoughts and our construction of truth is my evidence.@JulesKorngold
  • JulesKorngoldJulesKorngold 306 Pts   -  
    @maxx
    If nothing is true, how can your claim be true?   ;)
  • maxxmaxx 954 Pts   -  
    because my statement relies on what humans construct and deem to be either lies or true. in the absence of god, truth can only exist if it is part of the fabric of the universe; and without your idea and definition of truth with a capital T i can not debate .@JulesKorngold
  • @maxx

the lack of it anywhere but in our thoughts and our construction of truth is my evidence.

Maxx, the presence of ignorance does not mean the lack of truth.

Again, not truth, means no philosophy, philosophy is used to finds a number of truths.  

• maxxmaxx 954 Pts   -  
    Philosophy is but a concept as well.  You can not use one concept to describe another
     Unless it exists in the absence of humans, then it does not exist @John_C_87
  • Philosophy is but a concept as well.  You can not use one concept to describe another
     Unless it exists in the absence of humans, then it does not exist.
    Yes I can you are my witness as you are being philisofical...

Had you not made any attempt to be philosophical, it would have not been proven to exist, it does exist. You porved it and that you are a and all one would need to do is have you tell a lie on official document to punish you for liying when that wrong becomes a crime. As for now you are just wrong... its okay, I am wrong often as well, it happens....

• Argument Topic: Bug Fix

Had you not made any attempt to be philosophical, it would have not been proven to exist, it does exist. You porved it, that said, you are a and all one would need to do is have you tell a lie on official document / cause to punish you for perjury when that wrong becomes a crime. As for now you are just wrong... its okay, I am wrong often as well, it happens....

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 4676 Pts   -  
    You know, this kind of questions is one of the main reasons so many people do not take philosophy seriously. ;) "Does truth exist?" What useful conclusions can possibly arise from investigating this?
    Of course truth exists. A true statement is a statement that accurately describes reality. And reality is there, whether one likes it or not. You are free to think whatever you want about the truth of jumping off a bridge being hazardous to your health - when you actually perform the experiment, the reality will set you straight.

This is not a useful line of inquiry. Philosophy exists to answer practical questions, such as, "How do we make sense of the world around us?", "How do we live a good life, and what does it mean to live a good life?", "How does one tell relevant information from irrelevant one?", "Is human society a network of minds, or a set of isolated minds?" On the other hand, questions such as, "Does truth exist?", "What is reality?", "What is the meaning of life?", "Does a square circle make sense?" - are, at best, just fun messing around, and at worst, are pathways to intellectual decay.

An example of the "worst" is the postmodernist theory, according to which, to simplify, reality is a social construct. That humans live not in some sort of an objective world, but in a world of subjective storytelling, and the story one tells themselves is their reality. This is completely incoherent and easily proven wrong by simple observations (your fantasies will run against reality when you try to actually act on them, rather than sit in your ivory tower and write complicated sentences on a piece of paper), yet one can escape into the world of the imaginary so deeply that they stop noticing reality at all. This is not philosophy; this is anti-philosophy. Philosophy is supposed to improve one's ability to navigate the world, while this kind of reasoning makes one wander around blindfolded, having nothing but their imagination to guide them - a dangerous predicament indeed.
  • maxxmaxx 954 Pts   -  
    no, i just proved human beings can be philosophical. yet again, it can only exist if humans define it and create it. therefore it is a human construct, a concept that does not exist in nature. @John_C_87
  • maxxmaxx 954 Pts   -  
    i am sure you understand that truth with a capital T means something a bit more loftier than simple  yes or no statements. Jules is asking about ideas and reality as it corresponds to religion and such. @MayCaesar
    @maxx

What is "truth with a capital T" and how does it differ from truth as defined in the dictionary? Religion is just a set of fantasy stories and irrational beliefs; it has little to do with truth and reality.

Statement "2+2=4" is true; statement "2+2=5" is false. It does not matter what religion one follows, what ideas and beliefs one holds, what imagination one has, and what version of reality one assumes to be genuine. What matters is, if one truly lives as if "2+2=4" was not true and as if "2+2=5" was, then their life expectancy is going to be very-very short. Life is the best testing environment for one's assumptions on what is true and what is not: mistakes are going to be punished severely. Which is why religion has never produced anything of material, tangible value. Just a bunch of weird fantasy stories and totalitarian regimes. Truth does not need inquisition and holy wars to propagate; it proves itself day after day. Similarly, lies can only be maintained through deception and oppression; they cannot survive an encounter with reality without some sort of deep and intentional irrationality obscuring that reality.
  • maxxmaxx 954 Pts   -  
    i understand that.  i am pointing out that jules is separating truth and TRUTH to mean different things. The latter is based on what he sees as the spiritual aspects of hat truth is.  @MayCaesar
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 4676 Pts   -   edited August 3
    @maxx

I have not seen this separation being made in the opening statement of this thread, nor do I really understand what this separation could even be. What are spiritual aspects of that TRUTH? Can you provide an example?
  • maxxmaxx 954 Pts   -  
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 4676 Pts   -   edited August 3
    @maxx

Based on this excerpt, I suppose the definition of the "Truth with capital 'T'" is a fantasy story that one acts as if it was a reality story? This does not make any sense terminology-wise. It is like saying, "Love with capital 'L' is when I hate someone, but pretend that I love them". This is no definition; it is abuse of language.

I am not a huge fan of redefining common words and confusing everything. When I speak English, I use English words in the sense in which they are commonly used. If someone wants to talk about something other than standard truth, then they should come up with a new term, I think.

P.S. I also noticed while trying to read this article that it was mostly a jumble of sentences with no connections to each other. Looked at who the author was, and - of course, Deepak Chopra... I would not listen to anything people like this have to say any more than I would listen to a random phrase generator.
  • maxxmaxx 954 Pts   -  
    yeo  however that is what people say and mean when they talk about Truth with a capital t @MayCaesar
    @maxx

That is the thing though: they do not say or mean anything. They just mash a bunch of words together in order to create an impression of sophistication, while in reality their statements are meaningless. If you read through Deepak's article, you will not be able to extract a single concrete point out of it; it is a fuzzy mess of very frivolous interpretation of physical and philosophical knowledge and sudden changes in terminology. What exactly is he saying? I still do not understand what he means by "Truth with the capital 'T'".

That is the thing with all these postmodernists, new age spiritualists and religionists: they never talk about anything concrete. What they do is more akin to throwing a bunch of smoke bombs in the room and claiming that, in the patterns of the movement of that smoke, some deep wisdom lays.