frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

What should be the age of consent?

Debate Information

Age of consent laws around the world are bizarre.    In Iran, the age of consent appears to be 9 years old, because Mohammad took a 6 year old Jewish captive girl (A'isha) as his second wife, and he waited until she was 9 before he consummated the marriage    The revered Iranian cleric the Ayatollah Khomeini wrote in his 1990 book , "Tahrirolvasyleh"     "It is better for a girl to marry in such a time when she would begin menstruation at her husband's house rather than her father's home. Any father marrying his daughter so young will have a permanent place in heaven."   In 10 Aug. '2000, Reformers in the Iranian parliament tried to raise the age of marriage for girls from 9 to 14 and boys from 15 to16.    Since Muslims consider Mohammad a perfect individual, then doing whatever Mohamad did must be correct behaviour?     
 In stone age Australian aboriginal culture, girls were handed over to the Old Men for sex (who were the power structure within aboriginal tribes) at puberty.   This practice still appears to be going on with state and federal government looking the other way.    Aboriginal "Big Men" who are self appointed spokesmen for aboriginal communities are routinely accused of rape by numerous aboriginal girls.    Children as young as six in aboriginal only settlements are routinely screened for sexual diseases by visiting medical staff.    The handing over of pubescent girls  to old men appears to also be the case in other primitive tribes I have read about, but I am not sure if it occurred in every tribal society throughout history.      if it did, it could account for the perception that old men appear to be sexually attracted to very young girls.      Criminologists claim that most men "grow out of " criminality by age 45.    The only typically "old men's crimes" are embezzlement and pedophilia.

In advanced societies, the situation is just as weird.    According to my what i have discovered in articles I have read, the age of consent in Spain is 13.     In much of eastern Europe it is 14.    In France it is 15.     In most of the western world it is 16, although in the Australian state of Queensland it was for most of it's history 17.   I believe that Queensland has now lowered it's age of consent laws to conform to those of the other states and territories.      But the USA is really weird.     The age of consent appears to be 18 years of age, which appears completely potty to me?    And apparently some US states have a "three year rule" whereby it is not illegal for a 19 year old man to have sex with a sixteen year old, but it the man is 20 or older, it is.    Similarly, a 20 year old man may have sex with a 17 year old, but if he is 21 years old, it is "statutory rape."    All I can say is, the yanks must have a lot of young men in jail for "doin' the what comes naturally."

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
Tie
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments