frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

Should we abolish the death penalty?

Debate Information

Do you think the death penalty should be abolished?
Chartlot_greenred

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• Argument Topic: Yes, we should abolish the death penalty

The death penalty is seen as the ultimate punishment in the law system. I would argue that a life in prison is much worse but physical harm is seen as worse than physiological harm. Way more crimes are for physical harm rather than psychological harm. so therefore if the law system is more concerned with physical harm (particularly murder) then why should the public like the government more than the murderers? They are doing the same things and should be held accountable according to the system they invented. In the "death note" series it is seen as unequivocally evil to kill people even if they have a criminal record and nobody (except crackpots) sides with all 4 owners of the death note.
  • No, the death penalty is the unregulated punishment of lethal force and includes all three degrees of murder. Capital Punishment is simply included as a death penalty without by a political process and not a judicial process.

We can’t abolish the Death penalty we can only oversee the direction at which it can be applied publicly.  This is the danger for in basic principle we will be allowing those who violate the United States Constitution to have a right to apply lethal force as a punishment for those who do not agree in the efforts of criminal actions.

1.        A criminal does not apply a Capital Punishment they do apply a Death Penalty as murder.

2.       A Death Penalty is not never applied by the courts as a punishment for a conviction Capital punishment is assigned.

3.       The use of lethal force is the focus of both terms Capital Punishment and Death Penalty, and the argument of the debate is over the use of lethal force.

Keeping someone in prison for extended periods of time until dead is still Capital punishment, while what you are describing is a form of covert torcher. The reason being captivity is the method of death and it is drawn out to be, if possible, with the intention to cause harm and fear. The debate over Capital punishment is in how and when it is to be used not if.

• nxtsha_janexnxtsha_janex 2 Pts   -  
    Argument Topic: abolished or hidden?

the death penalty in many western countries has been ' abolished '  since 1960 or I speak on behalf of the United Kingdom. The death penalty itself was mainly used for petty crimes and theft. we can say we have abolished the death Penalty in these countries, but we truly have not. crimes have been hidden by corrupt governments displaying dominant power. 

we have seen by our very own government miscarriages of justice and wrongful convictions numerous times. But yet, no government has truly been held accountable. `These dominating economies will hide their crimes by exploiting on minority groups, those of the poor. the real death penalty is the treatment of citizens. 

as previously mentioned in a argument above " I would argue that a life in prison is much worse but physical harm is seen as worse than physiological harm ". this statement simply is incorrect, prison is an escape for many for a better way of life, or even to get three meals a day.

so yes, no one is being executed publicly, no one head is being chopped off for many to see. but behind closed doors even if law, these crimes are still happening. 

• @nxtsha_janex In the U.S., sadly it's legal in the majority of states. My states isn't one of them.
  • @nxtsha_janex In the U.S., sadly it's legal in the majority of states. My states isn't one of them.

Only criminals use the death penalty, not the court, in your state political opponents against United States of law, held by the people and not the court are against Capital Punishment only. A claim made by those who seek political office say uses a lethal force as punishment is like a death penalty. A victim’s family and others involved in murder might believe this to be true. There is difference between the two forms of lethal force that can be used by both sides of justice. As it stands most people in your state believe there is a high chance, they themselves will use lethal force and do not want the possibility of death in that unlikely event.

The death penalty is a description of how Capital Punishment is being abused and not what Capital Punishment is as a part of the United States Constitution being a condition, which is a poor state of the union. The Death Penalty is by fact illegal in all states, and it is the idea that the Death Penalty is used in some states while not others is only a lie, as murder occurs in all states. The reason behind the lie is most often used as a political advantage of those in the system of justice for job movement, though not always. 

• markemarke 405 Pts   -  
    Argument Topic: God's law makes provision for the death penalty

Among other benefits to society, a history of quick executions in cases of capital crimes lowers the rate of those capital crimes since the death penalty serves as a deterrent to those contemplating committing those crimes. 
  • JoeKerrJoeKerr 286 Pts   -  
    @marke
    The death penalty doesn't seem to be much of a deterrent when you consider the 24,00 homicides in America last year.
    The prospect of being locked up for life with nothing to look at except the four grey walls of your cell and the high walls of the exercise yard seems a much 
    better deterrent. I know that if I was all I had to look forward to for the rest of my life, death would be most welcome.

• anarchist100anarchist100 713 Pts   -  
    I do not believe in the death penalty in most cases, however an exception should be made for crimes against Liberty, such as owning a slave, or any form of forced confinement. They should have an automatic death sentence.
  • SwolliwSwolliw 1477 Pts   -  
    @anarchist100
     or any form of forced confinement. They should have an automatic death sentence.

I agree. I remember getting stuck in an elevator once with a guy who had obviously been to a Tex Mex restaurant the night before.....I could have killed the bugger.

• @Swolliw

That is funny ...
    But, how is an elevator a forced confinement?

I get in any elevator and a perfect strager tells me they may have ate beans I'm pushing the next floor button and taking the stairs. 

• BoganBogan 203 Pts   -  
    No, the only thing wrong with the death penalty is that it is not used enough.     Full marks to the USA for listening to their own people and keeping the death penalty.   

In  Victoria Australia, John Leslie Coombes, was twice jailed for murder, twice paroled, and then killed for a third time.

Same for Rodney Francis Cameron in NSW.     Two convictions for murder, two "life" sentences, then murdered again. 

Erich Turner was awarded the dubious honour of being the last person sentenced to death in NSW.    In 1948, he strangled his 15 year old girlfriend, Claire Sullivan, to death in her family home.   Turner then went into a bedroom and murdered Claire's sleeping father with an axe.     His death penalty was commuted to "life imprisonment", which every member of the public now knows is dishonest double talk designed by the judiciary to sooth the fears of a betrayed public.       Released in 1970, he stabbed to death 60 year old Harriet Field in her own home, as well as Harriet's 11 year old grandson, John Pitz, who heroically tried to defend his grandmother. 

Leigh Robinson was awarded a similar honour of being sentenced to death in Victoria, for the stabbing murder of 17 year old shop assistant Valerie Dunn, on June 8, 1968, in Melbourne.    His sentence was commuted to 30 years jail after a mercy plea was accepted by the Victorian State government of the day.     Released after 15 years, he continued his war on our society with convictions for rape, sexual assault of two underage girls, breaking and entering, and theft.    In 2008, Robinson murdered Tracey Greenbury, 32, after having an argument with her.    He chased the terrified woman down a street with a shotgun, before literally blowing most of her head off in front of an elderly female neighbour.    He joked with arresting police that had he been hanged in 1968, Tracey Greenbury would still be alive.

In 1968, Peter Dupas  became a rapist at 15 years of age, and he reoffended five years later.   He was repeatedly arrested and sentenced to lenient terms for numerous sexual offences, sexual assaults, and rapes.   These sexual attacks were becoming increasingly more violent as time went on, the tell tale signature of an emerging serial killer.   Whenever Dupas was released, he immediately reoffended.    In 1999, Dupas raped and murdered 28 year old Nicole Patterson, and 40 year old Margaret Maher, and was sentenced to "life" in jail.     While in jail, the Victorian Police found out that he had  committed another murder, that of 25 year old Mersina Halvegis, and was the prime suspect in three more unsolved murders.        Let's hope he does not escape and that this time "life" means exactly what the English language defines it to mean.

In the mid sixties, Leonard Keith Lawson was released from prison after abducting and murdering a 15 year old girl. While on parole he raped and murdered 15 year old Mary Jane Bower at Collaroy, in Sydney. With the police looking for him, he entered SCEGGS girls school in Bowral, and attempted to abduct a schoolgirl. In the struggle with a heroic teacher, he fired a sawn off rifle several times, wounding the female teacher and killing 15 year old student Wendy Luscombe.

David Barac, one murder, then murdered his wife Helen Cusack, former prison librarian. 

John Ernest Cribb.    Cribb was on parole for armed robbery when he broke into the Connell family home in Baulkham Hills, in north-west Sydney, and kidnapped Valda Connell, 39, and two of her six children, Sally, 10, and Damien, 4, in August 1978.   After raping Valda he stabbed her to death.   Cribb then stabbed to death Sally and Damien.   Their bodies of the mother and her children were found in a car boot near Swansea.

Cribb then escaped with well-known criminal William John Munday from the Morisset Hospital for the criminally insane in April 1979, where he was awaiting trial for the murders.    They became the most wanted men in the state.    The pair committed 31 offences between them in Sydney and Newcastle, including eight armed robberies, multiple assaults, and rapes.    They kidnapped two 17-year-old schoolgirls from outside the Hakoah Club in Bondi, took them to a motel, held them as sex slaves, and repeatedly raped them over a 35-hour period.    Both were recaptured. But Cribb was only recaptured after he broke into a suburban house in Newcastle.   He then held off a police siege of the house by holding a knife to the throat of the innocent woman homeowner.

Anyone who does not believe in the death penalty has their brain wired backwards.

• SwolliwSwolliw 1477 Pts   -  
    @John_C_87
    But, how is an elevator a forced confinement?

Like derrrrr.....when its stuck, that's how. Like derrrr, I said "I remember getting stuck in an elevator" . Like, it is a bit ambiguous like I could have accidentally stood on a puddle of superglue that somebody could have just squirted on the floor thirty seconds previously but no....it was nothing like that at all. It's just that that those slack buggers at Otis were way behind on their maintenance scheduling.

• Isn't any murder a death penalty including all  those of the people outside the process of court punishment?
  • BoganBogan 203 Pts   -  
    My favourite candidate for execution is that sub human (William Mitchell) in Greenough, Western Australia who entered a family home (Greenough Family Massacre) very early one morning after axing to death a 15 year old boy (Daniel McKenzie) who had walked outside to greet whoever it was who had entered the family driveway.         He then entered the boy’s mothers bedroom (31 year old Karen McKenzie) and axed the sleeping mother to death in her bed.  He then raped her dead body.    He then entered the room of a 7 year old girl (Amara McKenzie),and axed her to death. (Other details of her death were suppressed by the coroner.)   He then entered the room of a 5 year old girl, (Katrina McKenzie) and axed her to death also.     (Other details about her death were suppressed by the coroner, but I think you can guess what that was?)  He then went off to work like nothing had ever happened.     You want this bastard to escape from prison and do it again to your wife and kids?   Because some murderers have escaped from prison to kill again, and some have even escaped from prison for the sole purpose that there was somebody outside of prison that they wanted to kill.   And they did just that.

I think that most people who think that the death penalty should be abolished are intellectually challenged.    They seem to have been brainwashed by the woke media into thinking that "smart" people support the abolition of the death penalty, and they want people to think they are "smart", so they support what they think the "smart" people support.     Which is pretty du-mb.
  • BoganBogan 203 Pts   -  
     In Australia today, several hundred mostly young people are dying of heroin overdoses each year. Many more are turning into violent and untreatable psychiatric case addicts through barbituate drugs.     If several hundred Australians were being killed every year by a foreign power, this country would be at war. We would do everything possible to kill our enemies and prevent these attacks upon our citizenry. We would blow our enemies to pieces, burn them to death with white phosphorous and napalm, shoot them, and bury them alive. Why do we not selectively use the death penalty upon the criminals who have declared war upon our society?    The most amazing thing about serious criminal behaviour, is that most of it is committed by an almost insignificant part of our population who never stop their war on our society until they are dead.       

As a former reserve soldier, I was given instruction on how to kill the enemies of my people. Many of the enemy soldiers that I was trained to kill, I know would be decent, brave men, who like me were doing their duty. It beggars the mind of former soldiers for society to claim that it is OK to mow down brave enemy soldiers who fight you in uniform, man to man, and face to face.      You can kill them by the thousands. Even in the tens of thousands.   You can drop bombs on your enemies cities and kill millions of "enemy" people who are mostly women, children, and old people, and give medals to the bomber crews.       But when it comes to terrorists, hired murderers, people who plant bombs in civilian airliners, child abductor rapist murderers, serial killers, mob bosses, drug traffickers of lethal and addictive mass killing drugs, and traitors, the taking of their worthless lives is considered a sin by people who seem to value their opinions of themselves as virtue signaling moral puritans, than consider the welfare of their own people.

If we no longer believe in the death penalty, we should disarm our armed forces, and replace their lethal weapons with frying pans.