frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

The Beatles vs The Stones?

Debate Information

The Beatles were probably much better at writing songs, but really, they didn't become innovative genre altering icons until they did Sargeant Peppers (and one could claim that was a rip off of Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys). I don't consider anything the Beatles did before Sargeant Peppers to be anything worth while. But they eventually proved they were awesome song writers.

The Stones on the other hand sounded awesome to me right from the start. And when the Beatles broke up and the Stones had nobody to ripp off anymore, they began doing the best work they ever did. The early seventies was when some of my favorite Stones albums were made. 

In the end, I think the Beatles could write better songs, while the Stones were more consistent in sounding really good. So which band would you consider better? 

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
33%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• maxxmaxx 959 Pts   -  
    To each their own i guess. I n my opinion the stones really could not sing that well.  @piloteer
  • piloteerpiloteer 1534 Pts   -  
    @maxx

I think both bands had great singing capabilities. Pretty much equal on that part. The Stones were doing more R&B based rock, while the Beatles were more of a standard rock n roll band, so the singing structures were different between the two bands. The Stones were terrible when they were trying to sound like the Beatles, but when they were able to focus on their original  R&B style, they excelled. Like the bluesy R&B stuff they did in the late sixties and well into the seventies. Micks voice was better than any of the Beatles voices also. Micks style was more unique to me.      
  • maxxmaxx 959 Pts   -  
    The stones were a bit to crass to suit me. I liked the early stuff by the beatles; yet their later stuff, I didnt really care much for. It is probably me however, for over the years i've developed a taste for real music; orchestra stuff. violins, horns, drums.   @piloteer
  • DeeDee 4788 Pts   -  
    @maxx

It is probably me however, for over the years i've developed a taste for real music;

Whats “real music”?
  • maxxmaxx 959 Pts   -  
    Real music is playedwith musical instruments.  Most musicians do not consider a guitar as such. Musical instruments are considered,  as pianos, harps, violins, harpsichords and so on. @Dee
  • DeeDee 4788 Pts   -   edited September 14
    @maxx

Real music is playedwith musical instruments

Which many things are 

Most musicians do not consider a guitar as such. 

Most musicians don’t consider a guitar a musical instrument !!!!!  LOL ……seriously where do you get this hor-se sh-it from?

Give us all a list of the “most musicians “ who agree with you ? Does Eric Clapton , Chuck Berry , Jimmy page agree they never played a musical instrument ? 

Musical instruments are considered,  as pianos, harps, violins, harpsichords and so on.

A guitar is not according to you a musical instrument ……that to me is the st-pidest thing you’ve ever said 
  • maxxmaxx 959 Pts   -  
    What does this have to do with this guy's post? You didn't even try to answer him.  Instead tou instantly called me out on an opionated topic, which proves you are just trolling and stalking me. If you wish to believe.  A guitar is a musical instrument,  then do so. As far as I'm concerned,  my opinion is none of your blanking business.  If you wish to engage the person post then do so. Otherwise,  flake off @Dee
  • Luigi7255Luigi7255 584 Pts   -  
    @maxx

I need to know your reasoning for something as st-u-pid as saying a guitar is not an instrument.
    Deepiloteer
    "I will never change who I am just because you do not approve."
  • DeeDee 4788 Pts   -   edited September 13
    @maxx

What does this have to do with this guy's post?

I didn’t address the guys post same way you  didn’t by making a statement regards what “real music “is 

You didn't even try to answer him.  

I know I asked you to tell us all what “real music” is not surprisingly you don’t know

Instead tou instantly called me out on an opionated topic, which proves you are just trolling and stalking me. 

Ahh right you’re being “stalked” and “trolled “ now by being asked what do you mean by “real music” 

If you wish to believe.  A guitar is a musical instrument,  then do so.

I like most sane individuals consider a guitar a musical instrument what do you think it is ?( watch Maxx deflect) 

As far as I'm concerned,  my opinion is none of your blanking business.

Meaning you cannot list even one so called musician who agrees with you st-pid assertions regards guitars 

If you wish to engage the person post then do so. Otherwise,  flake off

Pretty weak response but typical of your usual childish response when you say something utterly ridiculous  

• maxxmaxx 959 Pts   -  
     i am going to say this just once and you both can go play with each other.  first i am under no obligation as to even to answer, for this post which is pilots, not mine has nothing to due with if the guitar is or is not a true musical instrument. I brought it up to point out as to why I no longer care for the beatles or stones. AS WELL, it is my opinion and i do not have to justify my opinion. If you wish to create your own post on if the guitar is a true instrument or not, then feel free to do so. How many guitars do you encounter in  classical music, or operas and orchestras? No, I do not have to justify my opinion. @Luigi7255 @Dee
  • piloteerpiloteer 1534 Pts   -   edited September 13
    @maxx

It was bad enough you called the Stones crass, but it became so much worse when you said "real musicians" do not consider guitar an instrument and you actually thought that it wasn't you who was being crass. Not gonna lie, I no longer care about the topic here, I just want to devote this post to showing you why you are wrong. 

1. Isaac Albéniz 

It's almost as if you were hinting that guitar was not used in classical music or something. It was, and has been a standard in classical music for more than a century and a quarter.  So I guess you're going to have to convince us now that Asturias (Leyenda) (first composed in 1890) by Isaac Albéniz is not considered a masterpiece of classical music done on guitar, and why other classical composers do not consider that to be "real" musicianship.  

2. Django Reinhardt 

He is now considered to be one of the first of the two original guitar heroes. He did not use pentatonic scales like most modern music does, and he helped elevate jazz to the height of a disciplined artistic genre equal to classical music. He was also missing the pinky and ring finger on his left hand, which was the hand he used on the fretboard. That would be a daunting handicap to have on the hand that is used for strumming, and it is a virtual impossibility when that handicap is on the hand used for the fretboard, but he still handily upstaged any rock guitarist who didn't have that handicap. 

3. Charlie Christian 

He is the other of the first two original guitar heroes, and he too did not use pentatonic scales and heightened jazz to the same level as classical music. One thing that jazz has which symphonic music does not is elaborate, musically challenging, rhythm. Django Reinhardt and Charlie Christian were innovative pioneers in a musical genre that eclipsed classical music rhythmically. Charlie Christian was known for being able to play chords while doing his solos instead of only soloing in between the chords.     

4. Johann Sebastian Bach.

So I guess you're also going to have to prove to us why and how Bach wasn't playing a "real" instrument when he did his guitar pieces, and while you are at it, why don't you go ahead and show us how real musicians brush aside Bach's endeavours with the guitar as not being true musicianship. I'll save you the time and let you know you won't find any real musicians who consider guitar to not be a proper musical instrument. I am a musician who's been around musicians of all genre's, including classical and jazz, and I've never heard any of them say guitarists are not true musicians. It may just be your opinion, but it is still wrong!!   

• maxxmaxx 959 Pts   -   edited September 13
    once again, i hae a right to my opinion on an opinionated topic , you do not see guitars in orchestras, and in classic music by composers nor operas. in my opinion, the guitar is for the masses , yes there are very many great players,  glen cambell was great, hendrix as well. yet until you lift yourself above it, that will all you will enjoy. you wish a taste of real music?  very well yet unless your taste develops pass the guitar, you will never enjoy it.   @piloteer ;  André Rieu - Amazing Grace (Live in Amsterdam) - YouTube      THE BEATLES ...!!! Lennon and McCartney Favorites (Arr: Bruce Healey) - YouTube  of course if you are not open minded enough to listen and enrich your musical experience ..........
  • DeeDee 4788 Pts   -  
    @maxx

i am going to say this just once and you both can go play with each other.  

Better than what you were caught repeatedly playing with 

first i am under no obligation as to even to answer, for this post which is pilots, not mine has nothing to due with if the guitar is or is not a true musical instrument

”A true musical instrument” LOL which Mad Maxx is the judge on , you said earlier it wasn’t a musical instrument make your mind up 

. I brought it up to point out as to why I no longer care for the beatles or stones. AS WELL, it is my opinion and i do not have to justify my opinion. 

Brought up that a guitar is not a musical instrument because you hate the Beatles and Stones……. ahh right got ya 

If you wish to create your own post on if the guitar is a true instrument or not, then feel free to do so.

I don’t , as like the rest of the human race I accept the guitar is a musical instrument 

How many guitars do you encounter in  classical music, or operas and orchestras?

How many triangles , horns , bassoons do you hear in some of the greatest hits of all time 

No, I do not have to justify my opinion.

Yes because when you say something st-pid  you never can justify it can you?

@maxx

once again, i hae a right to my opinion on an opinionated topic ,

No one said you hadn’t you mo-ron

you do not see guitars in orchestras, and in classic music by composers nor operas. 

Nor do you see Bassoons, Harps or Triangles in regular groups your point?

in my opinion, the guitar is for the masses 

And piano isn’t ? So what either way you hero the utterly Atrocious Andre Rieu and his music is for the masses so what’s your point Doofus?

yes there are very many great players,  glen cambell was great, hendrix as well. yet until you lift yourself above it, that will all you will enjoy. 

Until you lift yourself above Orchestral music that’s all you will ever enjoy ( or pretend to in your case) 

you wish a taste of real music?  

Who decides what is “real music” ?

very well yet unless your taste develops pass the guitar, you will never enjoy it. 

How do you come up which such ridiculous notions seriously?

@piloteer ;  André Rieu - Amazing Grace (Live in Amsterdam) - YouTube      THE BEATLES ...!!! Lennon and McCartney Favorites (Arr: Bruce Healey) - YouTube  of course if you are not open minded enough to listen and enrich your musical experience ..........

Andre Rieu real music ROFLMAO ……. Andre Rieu is utterly appalling and rated as mediocre by even average players of the violin  he single handedly has degraded and brought  classical music to the level of the Can ,Can ask any real classical music fan how they rate him …..this is your idea of classical music man oh man and you call listening to second rate tripe “enriching “ ROFLMAO
  • maxxmaxx 959 Pts   -   edited September 14
    he is a master and i can show many more.  it is too bad that your education of music reflects your actual education.  yes i can concede that a guitar can be classified as a musical instrument; but in that regard so can a set of spoons, or pop bottles. There is a reason that you do not see guitars in classical or orchestras; and that is because it degrades the composition.  I am not saying that the guitar has its place, and i will listen to many a good set; however you asked me what do i consider real music and I told you. Apparently you are about as musical inclined as the Beverly hillbillies. If you think andre is nothing, look again. I've seen rock concerts with less people. I could care less if you prefer rock groups to Bach .  I've told you my opinion and you are so low brow, you think peoples opinions are worthlesss.  who cares.  you like bagpipes?  probably not.   however i prefer this to the jangle of rock anyday. too bad you are not refined enough to like it, let alone listen. of course you will retort with your usual tirade of nit picking words and insults Auld Lang Syne - Scottish bagpipes with a symphony orchestra - YouTube @Dee
    @maxx

he is a master and i can show many more

He’s a mastur …..bator , a dreadful piss poor musician  Andre Rieu is the Donald Trump of classical music even students of such burst into laughter at those tone deaf id-iots who are dumb enough to buy tickets to watch him butcher classical music 

.  it is too bad that your education of music reflects your actual education

My education of and appreciation of music allows me to discern real music from actual dross player by a third rate violinist 

.  yes i can concede that a guitar can be classified as a musical instrument; but in that regard so can a set of spoons, or pop bottles. 

Well done you what gave it away? The fact that that music is made with guitars  A set of spoons or pop bottles are 1,000 times more musical than 3rd rate violinist Rieu 

There is a reason that you do not see guitars in classical or orchestras; and that is because it degrades the composition.  

Nonsense , if you had a semblance of education you would know the actual reason  is because they are not loud enough but are used on occasion do a search on electric guitars , also did you ever hear of classical guitar you prize du-mmy?

I am not saying that the guitar has its place, and i will listen to many a good set; however you asked me what do i consider real music and I told you

I know you think “real music “ is a third rate musical hack playing a depressing hymn on violin he barely play ….LOL 

. Apparently you are about as musical inclined as the Beverly hillbillies. 

Which would be streets ahead of you and the clumsy inept Rieu 

If you think andre is nothing, look again. I've seen rock concerts with less people. 

He’s a hack and most lovers of the violin will tell you he butchers classical music. You taste in rock music must be the same as classical so 

I could care less if you prefer rock groups to Bach .  

I couldn’t care less if you prefer the butcher Rieu to Bach

I've told you my opinion and you are so low brow, you think peoples opinions are worthlesss. 

.  I've told you my opinion and you are so low brow, you think peoples opinions are worthlesss. 

who cares.  you like bagpipes?  probably not.  

No I detest them yet you think they make “real music” and are a “real musical “ instrument but a guitar is not 

however i prefer this to the jangle of rock anyday. 

Of course you do like the way you think a 300 year old hymn played on a violin by a third rate hack is “real music” 

too bad you are not refined enough to like it, let alone listen. of course you will retort with your usual tirade of nit picking words and insults 

Ha ha you call “refined” listening to a third rate hack butchering the classics as the epitome of refinement , you yanks are priceless you call refined sitting down to a “meal “ in Mc Donald’s wearing an outsize tracksuit while the butcher Rieu kills the classics on piped music in the background 

Bagpipes are mad Maxxs idea of a “real musical “ instrument and the height of “refinement “ ROFLMAO 

• maxxmaxx 959 Pts   -   edited September 14
    like i said, you are just here to stalk and troll. This is an opinionated post and you wouldnt know music if you heard it.  go troll someone else little man . The fact remains he is a  classical musician and among others who create classical performances, i prefer them far above what you listen to. I like andre not just because he is good, but also he inserts a bit of comedy into his music. I also like mozart. What the hell do you listen to, rap? As usual, insult is your reason to er here. but i am telling you flat out, and if you do not like it, then then you can go blow. horns, violins, and harps, cellos, etc, when classically composed are far superior than a guitar, and drums. If you do not agree then say so; if you agree, then what the hell are you arguing about.  @Dee
  • DeeDee 4788 Pts   -  
    @maxx

like i said, you are just here to stalk and troll

No I’m here to educate the uneducated like you 

. This is an opinionated post and you wouldnt know music if you heard it. 

Yes I forgot to you music is a mediocre hack playing Amazing grace on a violin or better still real music is ……the bagpipes ….LOL 

go troll someone else little man . 

I’m fine where I am chubby fingers

The fact remains he is a  classical musician and among others who create classical performances,

He’s not he’s a hack you wouldn’t know a classical performance if it bit you on your chubby fingers 

i prefer them far above what you listen to.

What do I listen to fatty?

I like andre not just because he is good, but also he inserts a bit of comedy into his music

Yes his playing is comedy I agree so do most classical musicians 

. I also like mozart.

On the bagpipes no doubt , I doubt you even know one Mozart piece 

What the hell do you listen to, rap? 

I hate rap but you rate the bagpipes as musical right? 

As usual, insult is your reason to er here. 

Your chubby fingers are causing you to type gibberish …again 

but i am telling you flat out, and if you do not like it, then then you can go blow. horns,

Thats something I think you excell at …blowing horns….LOL 

violins, and harps, cellos, etc, when classically composed are far superior than a guitar, and drums. 

Your subjective opinion is just that the opinion of a tone deaf turd who thinks a bagpipe is musical and part of an orchestra 

If you do not agree then say so; if you agree, then what the hell are you arguing about. 

Wow ! You still haven’t worked out I don’t agree with you ……how st-pid are you really?
  • maxxmaxx 959 Pts   -  
    good bye little man. go be a moron elsewhere. back on mute you go,  time to talk to arrog again
    @Dee
  • piloteerpiloteer 1534 Pts   -   edited September 17
    maxx said:
    just like your rant, you failed to even address piolteers post, but instead bean insulting me. 
    @maxx, it's ok if we don't stick to the topic. If you need to find evidence of "real" musicians rejecting the validity of the guitar as a musical instrument, feel free to do so 
  • maxxmaxx 959 Pts   -   edited September 17
    look, you created an opinionated  post. It is not my fault that you are offended by my opinion and of me not caring much for such groups anymore. The stones and the beatles are ok, yet i simply prefer something else. in my opinion, their popularity has more to do with the culture rather than the singing. if you wish to hear good vocals, i would go elsewhere, such as jim nabors, or bobby hatfield, or the platters. I and again, my opinion, the beatles and stones relied more on the energy and the noise of the instruments and the looks, rather than the singing ability.  However, if i have to answer the post as is, then i would say the beatles were better; I think Paul sang better than mickey, the beatles had more popularity and had more effect upon the crowd when they played. @piloteer
  • SwolliwSwolliw 1458 Pts   -  
    @maxx ;
    if you wish to hear good vocals, i would go elsewhere, such as jim nabors, 

For sure he was really into Rock, wasn't he?.... To his credit though he was very generous to Rock and gave lots of aids to Rock didn't he?

Dee
  • maxxmaxx 959 Pts   -   edited September 17
    no, he did not. why are you putting words into my mouth.  I simp[ly said he had good vocals; he could sing very well; without any music instruments backing him up at all.  what are you on this thread arguing about?  what is even your stance?  All you did was grab a sentence out of my statement and started picking at it. @Swolliw