frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Can IQ Tests Really Predict Your Success In Life?

Debate Information

I believe IQ is a factor, but there are other factors too:  Motivation, willingness to learn new information, luck, ability to pay attention, mental health, lifestyle, ability to handle stress, and access to economic and social resources, such as quality schools.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• jackjack 45 Pts   -   edited September 19

Hello Jules:

Uhh, no..  There have been plenty of stu-pid successful people, aka Trump, and lots of very smart failures..

excon

JulesKorngold
  • BoganBogan 195 Pts   -  
    The US military, the world's most technologically advanced military, believes most definitely that IQ can be measured accurately.    In the US military, the cut off point for IQ is 87.    Below 87 and the US military does not believe it can train a candidate to do anything useful.    Around 20% of the US population have an IQ below 20%     No prizes for guessing which racial demographics are most represented in that category? 

Other organisations which believe in the accuracy of IQ tests are the business world and academia.    it is routine within many business's to give candidates IQ tests.   In academia, because of distrust in the accuracy of high school testing regarding candidate suitability for university entrance, IQ tests (SAT scores) became the only means of entrance into Ivy League US universities.      However, since this meant the almost total exclusion of African Americans from university because of their collective low median IQ, SAT scores were corrupted to give "inclusion" to black Americans by setting racial quotas.  Which of course, is racism.   But not the kind of racism which academics object to.        
  • jackjack 45 Pts   -   edited September 20
    Bogan said:

The US military, the world's most technologically advanced military, believes most definitely that IQ can be measured accurately.   

Hello IQ guy,

If I'm not mistaken, the question assumes IQ tests are accurate, but asks if low IQ and/or high IQ correlate with success and/or failure in life.

And, I'm NOT mistaken, am I?

excon, IQ - 12

• BoganBogan 195 Pts   -  
    Hi low IQ guy.

It has been a long time since I read the book  "The Bell Curve", but I do remember the authors writing that IQ tests are the only reliable indicator of sucess or failure in life.     Generally speaking, people with high IQ's do very well in life, while those with low IQ almost always do very poorly.    Does that answer your question?    
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 4713 Pts   -  
    jack said:

Hello Jules:

Uhh, no..  There have been plenty of stu-pid successful people, aka Trump, and lots of very smart failures..

excon

That is not what statistical prediction is. Statistical prediction is a probabilistic claim: when someone says that X is a valid predictor for Y, it means that different values of X correspond to different probabilistic distributions of Y. Outliers may exist for every value of X, but their probability will be different.

IQ is quite strongly positively correlated with all known general metrics of success, explaining up to 30% of the observed variance, depending on the metric. If you take two individuals who you know have IQs of 80 and 140 respectively, and if you do not know anything else about them, then you can bet that the latter individual is more successful than the former individual - say, in terms of earned income - and win almost all the time. Yes, every now and then you will get an odd case of the 80 IQ individual being born to rich parents who taught him/her basic investment skills, and the 140 IQ individual who chose to pursue obscure poetry and can barely make ends meet... You might get such cases once every 1,000 times. That does not defy the overall trend.

IQ also is not a measure of intelligence. Saying that Trump is "stu-pid", as you very eloquently and professionally put, says nothing about Trump's IQ (which is unknown to the general public, including you). However, purely based on the correlational considerations, I would expect Trump to have a fairly high IQ, despite his clearly twisted communication skills. By the same token, I would expect your IQ to be fairly low... No offense, but you have not written much on this website constituting deep and insightful thoughts and ideas, and inability to do so is quite strongly negatively correlated with IQ.

IQ is a pretty pointless metric to use for purposes of evaluation particular individuals, but in the conditions of extremely scarce information it could have utility. If you know that someone has a PhD in math, then knowing their IQ will not help you in any way; but if you know that someone is 180 cm tall and that is it and you are considering them for the CEO position in your company (I have no idea why you would, but, hey, this is a free world, do whatever you please), then knowing their IQ gives you, at least, something more tangible to go on.
  • jackjack 45 Pts   -  
    MayCaesar said:

By the same token, I would expect your IQ to be fairly low...  No offense, but you have not written much on this website constituting deep and insightful thoughts and ideas, and inability to do so is quite strongly negatively correlated with IQ.
    Hello again, M:

In my circles, brevity indicates genius. 

You keep saying no offense, and then you offend me..  How smart is that??

excon

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 4713 Pts   -   edited September 20
    @jack

Brevity that contains deep wisdom and insight, indeed, indicates genius: intellectual geniuses have on numerous occasions produced succinct quotes with a lot of intellectual content embedded in them.

That is not the case with you. What exactly have you ever said that people might want to quote 100 years later marveling at the depth of the quote? Look at any thread you have created: your opening statements are barely intelligible. In the worst case, you just quoted some article and wrote, "yeah... this". You ain't Einstein, mate.

I have laid out my impartial and cold reasoning, with absolutely zero hostility or any feelings towards you. If that offends you, then I take zero responsibility for this offense: it is purely your doing. In turn, you are free to make any arguments in favor of my flaws, and if those arguments are reasonable, then I will accept them - or, at least, accept the validity of them.
  • jackjack 45 Pts   -   edited September 22
    MayCaesar said:

That is not what statistical prediction is. IQ is quite strongly positively correlated with all known general metrics of success,

IQ also is not a measure of intelligence.

IQ is a pretty pointless metric to use for purposes of evaluation particular individuals, but in the conditions of extremely scarce information it could have utility. If you know that someone has a PhD in math, then knowing their IQ will not help you in any way
    Hello again, M:

Nahhh...  In the real world, knowing a candidate has a PhD in math, and/or knowing he has a high IQ, AREN'T factors I used when I hired people..  I looked at their experience, which has NOTHING to do with IQ or advanced degrees..  Some very dumb, but hardworking people, were successful in my company, and some very smart people weren't. Employers who used metrics to hire, instead of looking at the PERSON, probably aren't around to hire people any more.. 

excon

• wokwok 17 Pts   -  
    Yes...i'm so agree with the statement because IQ can increase with do much of exercise and study. And the person that can succes is they tht always study hrd to be success
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 4713 Pts   -  
    @jack

Completely missing the point. The point is that IQ is a metric that is useful in certain situations in the absence of virtually any other information, but in the real world, when that information is present, it is virtually useless. As to what that other information is, depends on the circumstances. Obviously knowing that someone has a PhD will not tell you much about how good they are going to be at farming - but it can tell you something about the individual's general ability to acquire and apply knowledge and to perform complex intellectual work. IQ in itself tells you none of that, it only allows you to roll a dice and have a higher chance of making the right choice than if you were guessing randomly.