frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Censorship - I don't like it. You?

Debate Information

Hello:

I'm just not in to censorship..  I wear my big boy pants..  There's absolutely nothing anybody could say to me that I need protection from.  And, there's absolutely nothing I could say to them that they need protection from as well.

I posted a response to some debate or other, and was told it needed to be approved first..  Dunno what was wrong with it.  I guess it didn't live up to the standards of this site, because that post never went online..  Yes, I'm STILL pis-sed off about it.

I don't like walking on eggshells.  Do you?

excon

PS:  I wonder whether THIS post will be approved.
anarchist100

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• BoganBogan 449 Pts   -  
    Censorship is a fact of life already, the only question is, where do we draw the line?

We already have laws against libel, the Official Secrets Act, legislation preventing the identification of jurors or judges, in some states prohibitions on the media showing the faces of the accused, ad prohibitions on the media displaying the faces of children who are innocent parties in newsworthy stories.      Every civilised nation on earth has film and computer game classifications to protect children from concepts that they just do not have the capacity to understand are just exaggerations of life, which mature adults may find amusing, but which children may consider a script for how to behave.

The funniest thing about those who claim to be totally against censorship, is that they are usually the ones who scream the loudest about banning "hate speech."

• NomenclatureNomenclature 1245 Pts   -  
    Argument Topic: Censorship is a fact of life already, the only question is, where do we draw the line?

Well, I think part of the problem is that it's very easy to censor things under false pretences. Excon is a bit of a hypocrite when it comes to this because if he doesn't like the things you say he'll falsely label them as anti-Semitism, and try to have you banned. 

My belief is that censorship should always be kept at an absolute bare minimum. For me, that means not allowing children under 10 to view violent or sexual imagery, and pretty much nothing else. Judges shouldn't be doing the job if they aren't prepared to stand behind their decisions publicly, and this type of censorship effectively removes public accountability. 

Ultimately, the problem always comes down to power. When someone has the power to censor others, it's very rare that it doesn't eventually lead to them censoring opinions they strongly disagree with. 
    Dreamer
  • jackjack 453 Pts   -   edited December 2022
    Excon is a bit of a hypocrite when it comes to this because if he doesn't like the things you say he'll falsely label them as anti-Semitism, and try to have you banned.
    Hello hater:

And, what you'll do is spam every post I make with your hateful lies, just like you're doing here and you did at CD..  I don't think you'll get away with that crap over here, though..

excon
    jack said:

Hello hater:

And, what you'll do is spam every post I make with your hateful lies, just like you're doing here and you did at CD..  I don't think you'll get away with that crap over here, though..

excon
    I'm not lying. You accuse everybody who disagrees with you about anything of being hateful and anti-Semitic, despite the fact that you're not even Jewish. You do it to everybody at CD and you do it here also. To hear you whining about censorship is quite astonishing really.
    Dreamer
  • jackjack 453 Pts   -  

Well, I think part of the problem is that it's very easy to censor things under false pretences. Excon is a bit of a hypocrite when it comes to this because if he doesn't like the things you say he'll falsely label them as anti-Semitism, and try to have you banned.
    Hello:

I apologize to my colleagues for bringing some trash with me from another Q&A site... You see, he's obsessed with me, and has been following me around for the last 5 years spreading hurtful antisemitic lies.  

I COULD ignore his hateful rants, but as Jew, I cannot just walk away.  I must confront antisemitism where I find it, and he provides an abundance of it.

excon
    Nomenclature
  • jackjack 453 Pts   -   edited December 2022

I'm not lying. You accuse everybody who disagrees with you about anything of being hateful and anti-Semitic, if he doesn't like the things you say he'll falsely label them as anti-Semitism, and try to have you banned.
    Hello hater:

Sorry again, folks, but I gotta STOP this antisemite from poisoning this board like he did at CD..

Bogan - we've NEVER agreed, on anything -  but I've NEVER called you an antisemite and demand that you be banned.

Swallio -  we seldom agree, yet I've refrained from calling you an antisemite and demand that you be banned.

MAY - we don't agree and I've NEVER called you an antisemite and try to have you banned.

Michael Elpers - we don't agree, and I've never called you an antisemite.

Barnodot and John C aren't people I agree with often, and didn't call either of them antisemites. 

And, there's more, many more..  If I've forgotten some of you, and called you an antisemite and demanded aaron ban you, please remind me of it.. 

Suffice to say, that's NOT what I do, and the participants on this board know it..  Now, go away. 

excon

Dreamer
    Argument Topic: Shut Up Excon. You're A Delusional Narcissist.

Nobody is obsessed with you. My account here is four years old you absolutely ridiculous buffoon.
    Argument Topic: Lmao

Nobody is obsessed with you. My account here is four years old you absolutely ridiculous buffoon. You should seek help dealing with your delusions of grandeur.
  • BoganBogan 449 Pts   -  
    @Nomenclature ;    

After a year or so of trying to engage rationally with jack/excon, I judge him to be just another troll, like Dee, Barnadot, and Piloteer.       I think that the best thing you can do with trolls is to just not respond to them.   Let them hyperventilate and throw tantrums.    On the other hand, since they are typically leftists, any impartial new member who comes onto this debate site may get an understanding of just how immature the average leftist is.