frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Should children under 10 be allowed to watch The Hunger Games?

Debate Information

Honestly, I'm not quite sure which side I would be on. Let me know where you stand.

nato_baro
  1. Live Poll

Should children under the age of 10 be allowed to watch The Hunger Games?

18 votes
    1. Yes, children under 10 should be allowed to watch The Hunger Games
      50.00%
    2. No, children under 10 shouldn't be allowed to watch The Hunger Games
      50.00%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• love2debatelove2debate 186 Pts   -  
    No, it is rated PG13. Under 10 is way too young.
  • islander507islander507 194 Pts   -  
    I would respect pg13 rating in this case
  • averyaproaveryapro 150 Pts   -  
    I think that we should respect the rating of PG-13 and under 10 could be really young. I mean there is a lot of violence in this movie and to young people I think that this movie could be somewhat traumatic to young kids this age
    nato_baro
  • nato_baronato_baro 9 Pts   -  
    The youth should be defended from violent movies.
    Polaris95Zombieguy1987
  • SuperSith89SuperSith89 170 Pts   -  
    I remember when it first came out and I did not want to watch it due to the horrific deaths in there, even more so in the books.  I was 13 then.  I have always been a more careful person with movies, maybe less now than then, but the movie is not appropriate for under 10 at all.  Too many horrible deaths that come to kids.  KIDS.  Love the movies and books now though.  Except Mockingjay.  WHY FINNICK WHY.
    cheesycheese
  • penguin06penguin06 2 Pts   -  
    My thought in this is yes they should be allowed if they are mature enough i think it's about the maturity and tolerance and not the age the rating is usually just there so people don't get upset 
  • WilliamSchulzWilliamSchulz 255 Pts   -  
    penguin06 said:
    My thought in this is yes they should be allowed if they are mature enough i think it's about the maturity and tolerance and not the age the rating is usually just there so people don't get upset 
    I agree with this standpoint. While age might be a factor, any person might not understand the mature themes of a PG-13 movie. PG-13, while also factoring in age, means that children over 13 will better understand the themes the movie is trying to present to the audience. There may be exceptions, I read the Hunger Games series at 11 and watched the movies at 12, however, after each 10 chapters, I would discuss the book for a hour with Mom and Dad and go over details of the book I missed. In the end, it is up to the parents, but the closer to 13 and the more mature you are, the better.
    A good debate is not judged by bias, but in the context of the debate, where objectivity is key and rationale prevalent. 

• Polaris95Polaris95 147 Pts   -  
    Personally I think it is more a question of maturity than age here. Some 13-year olds would be horrified by the violence, while some 8-year olds would be completely unfazed. It's up to you and your parents if you're mature enough. While I wouldn't recommend the Hunger Games to anyone under 10, if they feel they're mature enough, why hold them back?
    VortexLeaderZombieguy1987cheesycheese
  • VortexLeaderVortexLeader 2 Pts   -  
    Personally I think it is more a question of maturity than age here. Some 13-year olds would be horrified by the violence, while some 8-year olds would be completely unfazed. It's up to you and your parents if you're mature enough. While I wouldn't recommend the Hunger Games to anyone under 10, if they feel they're mature enough, why hold them back?
  • We already have a violent youth all around the world. So, we should not allow our teen until the age of 15 to watch such violent stuff. Why don't we send our teen to playground to play some physical games like football etc? it is a better idea instead of watching TV shows and movies. 
    Polaris95cheesycheese
  • Polaris95Polaris95 147 Pts   -   edited September 2018
    @BonitaVanhooser

Films aren't just some dumb distraction, they are an artform. Watching movies is both fun and good for the brain. I don't see why football is any better as entertainment. Sure, it's better for you physically but movies and TV make you think. And I don't see how the Hunger Games will spur kids to do violent acts depicted in the film in real life. It is portrayed as bad and immoral in the movie, so few kids would really want to replicate the violence.
  • someone234someone234 647 Pts   -  
    I will not be showing the show to my children. I believe it has very dark, anarchic undertones to the brainwashing involved in it and I want my children to respect authority and work with the system to fix the system.

Reform>Revolution.
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5965 Pts   -  
    I played Doom (a game so bloody, many politicians advocated for outright banning it, for everyone) when I was 4, and I came out just fine. Separating fiction from reality starts at a much younger age than many people think.

Not to mention that the premise of the question "Should people under age of X be allowed to watch Y?" is ridiculous. Children are not their parents' slaves, they are individuals. Let them watch, read, listen to, play whatever they want and make their own conclusions on what they see/hear/feel. 

cheesycheese