frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

Should we defund the military?

Debate Information

I want to know what you think about this.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• PepsiguyPepsiguy 109 Pts   -  
    Argument Topic: No

The military protects us from terrorists and others who want to harm us.
    NomenclatureDee
  • just4funjust4fun 21 Pts   -  
    Argument Topic: Yes, slightly

The US military has retained and held the title of the strongest military in the world, and conflicts have proven that statement correct. 10% of US government spending, or over $800 billion, is spent on defense according to executive.gov, which is a massive amount for such a large country, economically and population-wise. This spending is to remain competitive with our adversaries, such as China and Russia. Yet we spend more on military than the next 10 countries combined, most of which are our allies or friendlies. The second highest spender is China, with over $200 billion, yet these numbers are believed to be inflated by the infamously dishonest CCP. This high spending on our military to "counter" smaller, incompetent threats as we have seen in Ukraine, really cast doubts on the necessity for such an expensive military when all the recent wars we've fought have been very controversial and perhaps unnecessary, when those funds could be redirected to programs for the citizens of the US.
  • NomenclatureNomenclature 1245 Pts   -  
    @theinfectedmaster

I'm unsure whether you mean entirely or just partially. The US still needs a standing army as a deterrent against invasion, but presently it spends more money on its defence budget than the next 9 countries combined. That's beyond absurd and the money could be put to much better use elsewhere. 
  • LuskLusk 28 Pts   -  
    @just4fun
    Clearly you know nothing about the military or the reason we fight the wars we do.
  • PutinPutin 73 Pts   -   edited February 1
    Who's we? I certainly shouldn't, but since you probably mean Americans, since most people here are from that land, my answer is yes. America should absolutely defund it's military.
    theinfectedmaster
  • BoganBogan 419 Pts   -  
    The problem for the USA is that it spends so much public money on it's defense forces that it's infrastructure at home is crumbling.   Trump is right.    Why should US taxpayers subsidise the defense of foreign countries who are rich enough to defend themselves?      Especially, since tooo many people within those rich countries hate the USA and have no gratitude to the USA defending them?       The last I heard, the USA was trillions of dollars in dept.    Obviously,, you have to cut back somewhere and since the USA's defense budget dwarfs the defense budgets of every other country on earth, then that is where you should start.

I for one am very grateful to the USA for being the world's policeman, but as events within the USA have proven, policemen putting their lives on the line to protect an ungrateful population is just not worth it.     In the same way that "defund the police" will embolden criminals, "defunding the policeman of the world" will do the same for tyrants.       But people need to see the consequences of their idiotic liberal ideas before they can think straight again.     So, America, wake up.    Reduce your armed forces and reduce your crippling levels of dept.       Don't worry about defending people who despise you.    Let them bear the consequences of their own stup-idity.      That this will mean another world war is of no consequence to Americans.   You are safe within your own country, nobody holding a gun is gong to invade you.     And the best part is, that you can have the fun of watching the very same people who despise you begging you to come back and save their worthless asses again.     
  • RickeyHoltsclawRickeyHoltsclaw 142 Pts   -   edited February 2
    @theinfectedmaster ; What kind of mindless question is that? What motivates someone to ask such a thing?
  • RickeyHoltsclawRickeyHoltsclaw 142 Pts   -  
    @Putin ; You're not even a good troll.
  • PutinPutin 73 Pts   -   edited February 2
    @RickeyHoltsclaw
    You're right, I'm not simply a "good" troll, I'm the best troll.
  • theinfectedmastertheinfectedmaster 145 Pts   -  
    @RickeyHoltsclaw Our military is excessively spent on.
  • RickeyHoltsclawRickeyHoltsclaw 142 Pts   -  
    @theinfectedmaster ;  Incorrect. Our military is woefully underfunded considering the threats it will be called upon to repel.
    theinfectedmaster