frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

Do you think that age defines maturity emotionally and behaviorally?

Debate Information

I personally feel if anyone says that this defines it to a certain extent that they would be completely wrong.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• theinfectedmastertheinfectedmaster 61 Pts   -   edited November 17
    @theinfectedmaster I don't think age defines maturity at all from an emotional standpoint because that is 100% a choice. I used to think age completely defined a person's emotional maturity when I was younger. I used to say if you were under 7 that you behaved extremely immature and recklessly and that if you were so mature and well behaved.
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 4800 Pts   -   edited November 18
    @theinfectedmaster I don't think age defines maturity at all from an emotional standpoint because that is 100% a choice. I used to think age completely defined a person's emotional maturity when I was younger. I used to say if you were under 7 that you behaved extremely immature and recklessly and that if you were so mature and well behaved.
    What is 100% a choice? Processes occurring in your brain and nervous system? For that matter, at the very fundamental level, nothing in life is a choice: humans act the way their organism compels them to, and the illusion of "choice" is just that, an illusion, and also a convenient conceptualization of the mental processes preceding human action allowing us to develop concepts central to our societies, such as "responsibility" and "agency".

It is true that you can meet adults that are extremely immature, and you can meet children that are more mature than you would expect of their age. However, to claim that age does not define maturity at all is to ignore all evidence and common sense. For one, in order to become mature, one has to have gone through a lot of difficult experiences and built up emotional resilience - and someone who is under 7, unless he/she grew up in something like a perpetual warzone and without parents, will not have done that.
    theinfectedmaster
  • @MayCaesar You realize how you behave and treat others is a choice.
  • @MayCaesar A 5 year old can be very well behaved and other's can be very reckless.
  • @MayCaesar Same with a 1 year old, too.
  • @MayCaesar Emotional and behavioral maturity is different than mental maturity.
  • anarchist100anarchist100 713 Pts   -  
    @MayCaesar You realize how you behave and treat others is a choice.
    Young children literally don't know how to be mature or consider others, their brains aren't developed enough.
    theinfectedmaster
  • @anarchist100 Stop using the brain development argument because your brain develops very fast when your young and every kids brain develops at different times.
  • @anarchist100 Your knowledge gained is what defines maturity though.
  • anarchist100anarchist100 713 Pts   -   edited November 18
    @anarchist100 Your knowledge gained is what defines maturity though.
    Do you know what maturity means? It literally means to develop over time, being knowledgeable about any particular subject doesn't make you mature, maturity is the wisdom and insight that can only come with experience, it's more than just knowledge.
    theinfectedmaster
    @anarchist100 Stop using the brain development argument because your brain develops very fast when your young and every kids brain develops at different times.
    Sure, every human brain is different, but none is so abnormal that the person using it will be fully mature before the age of 12.

If age has literally no effect on maturity, then why is it that adults are so much more mature than children, is it just a coincidence?
  • @anarchist100 A 12 year old could have the emotional maturity of a 20 year old, but that doesn't mean that a 12 year old is going to be mentally capable of adult responsibilities just because they don't typically have as much knowledge.
    @anarchist100 A 12 year old could have the emotional maturity of a 20 year old, but that doesn't mean that a 12 year old is going to be mentally capable of adult responsibilities just because they don't typically have as much knowledge.
    Well that all depends on what you mean by emotional maturity, with you it can be hard to tell.
    If we assume that your definition is being able to control their emotions as to act in a rational way then a 12-year-old is vastly inferior to any adult, the part of their brain responsible for managing emotions is not fully developed yet, and even if it had, most will not see a need to control their emotions until life experience gives them a reason to, and before you say it, yes brains develop differently, however a 12 year old with a brain fully developed in that area is highly unlikely, if there are any then there are maybe one or two, as for anyone under that age with a fully developed brain, there is almost certainly no one alive today like that.

Your claim that emotional maturity is in no way effected by age is simply ridiculous, is it simply a coincidence that children act immature then? Or is it a plot by them? What is it?
  • @anarchist100 They could act as maturely as a 20 year old and vice versa a 20 year old could be emotionally as mature as a 12 year old, but that doesn't mean that can't be capable of adult responsibilities, so you see how emotional maturity isn't correlated with mental maturity.
    @anarchist100 They could act as maturely as a 20 year old and vice versa a 20 year old could be emotionally as mature as a 12 year old, but that doesn't mean that can't be capable of adult responsibilities, so you see how emotional maturity isn't correlated with mental maturity.
    It seems that you may have made this post before I edited my post to include my argument. Sorry about that.
  • @anarchist100 An adult has had more knowledge of how things work than a child has that's why, and yes I believe a 12 year old could have a fully developed brain, but that doesn't make them capable of adult responsibilities just because they pretty much won't have as much knowledge of the world as a 20 year old.
    @anarchist100 An adult has had more knowledge of how things work than a child has that's why, and yes I believe a 12 year old could have a fully developed brain, but that doesn't make them capable of adult responsibilities just because they pretty much won't have as much knowledge of the world as a 20 year old.
    There is no evidence of a 12-year-old today with a fully developed brain, in literally all of the people they did research, the part of the brain responsible for managing emotions developed around 25, of course there are some exceptions, but none so great as a 12-year-old with the maturity of an adult, the original statement you made was that age has no effect on maturity, which is ridiculous, even if you could find a 12 year old with the brain of an adult you'd still be wrong about this because for basically everyone else on the planet age defines maturity, (unless of course we are to say that when you said age doesn't define maturity you simply mean in the case of this theoretical individual, although I think you would have clarified that by now), and let's not also forget that by acknowledging that 12-year-olds have less knowledge than adults you are disproving your previous statement if we go by your belief that maturity is knowledge, you are admitting that age does define maturity.
  • @anarchist100 You realize that maturity is a highly subjective concept though. I don't think it's objective at all.
  • @anarchist100 I'm saying it doesn't have an effect on emotional maturity, which isn't the same thing as mental maturity 
  • @anarchist100 You realize that age doesn't define maturity though since there are severely mentally disabled people.
    @anarchist100 You realize that maturity is a highly subjective concept though. I don't think it's objective at all.
    Then why are we even having this debate? If that where the case it would be totally pointless, since a child could be mature to you and immature to me, neither of us are wrong, however that's not the case, there is an objective definition of maturity, though I'll give you it is a little broad, it simply means to develop over time in the way that is natural, human maturity is the development from childhood to adulthood, and there are some objectively adult qualities, such as being able to control emotions to act logically, which is something children very rarely are able to do.
    @anarchist100 I'm saying it doesn't have an effect on emotional maturity, which isn't the same thing as mental maturity 
    I told you, being able to control your emotions to act logically is controlled by brain development, that's a scientific fact, the part of the brain responsible is called the prefrontal cortex, and in most humans, it's not developed until the age of 25. This is settled science.
    @anarchist100 You realize that age doesn't define maturity though since there are severely mentally disabled people.
    Yes, there are exceptions, however for pretty much everyone else age defines maturity, I highly doubt that when you made this debate you were referring specifically to mentally disabled people.

Understand that when you make statements like this about humans and their physical and phycological nature, if you don't point out a specific group that you're talking about, most people are just going to assume that you're talking about the average, natural human.
  • @anarchist100 I disagree that a person needs a fully developed brain to be mentally capable of adult responsibilities though.
    @anarchist100 I disagree that a person needs a fully developed brain to be mentally capable of adult responsibilities though.
    You're wrong, they need a fully developed brain to be able to understand adult responsibilities and their complexities and control their emotions to act logically enough to survive.
  • @anarchist100 No, and most people would assure you of that. It completely defeats what actually defines maturity. Most people I've talked to don't even believe that either.
  • @anarchist100 A person can control their emotions without needing a fully developed brain. Intelligence also isn't correlated with brain size either. Elephants have larger brains than we do, and yet their less mature than we are.
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 4800 Pts   -  
    @theinfectedmaster

Okay, but do you care to address any of my points? Or are you just going to repeat your original claim and ignore all counter-arguments?

You also seem to be confusing terminology:

@MayCaesar A 5 year old can be very well behaved and other's can be very reckless.
    Being well-behaved and being mature are entirely different things. A person can have a very nasty character, yet be very mature (stereotypical "drill sergeant", for instance) - and a person can be very well-behaved, yet be extremely immature (stereotypical "naive sheltered college kid", for example).

@anarchist100 Your knowledge gained is what defines maturity though.
    Also wrong. There are people who study at Harvard and outperform their peers, yet leave their dirty dishes in the sink when living with roommates, get emotionally crushed when their crush rejects them, and flip out whenever someone disagrees with them politically. They know far more than the vast majority of the population at their age, yet they are less mature than some uneducated tractor driver from Wyoming.
    @anarchist100 No, and most people would assure you of that. It completely defeats what actually defines maturity. Most people I've talked to don't even believe that either.
    I don't care, they're wrong, it is settled science that being able to control one's emotions and acting logically requires a brain equipped to do such things, which the average child does not have.
    Who are these people you talk to? Are any of them scientists?
    @anarchist100 A person can control their emotions without needing a fully developed brain. Intelligence also isn't correlated with brain size either. Elephants have larger brains than we do, and yet their less mature than we are.
    Elephants are an entirely different species, different priorities are given to different parts of the brain, Einstein's for example was smaller than the average brain, but the part responsible for reasoning was much larger. That's not the case with children.

• Can I ask, does it turn you on talking about kids being mature like adults?

• @ZeusAres42 I like to hear people's opinions on this. I have unpopular opinions on this topic, so if you want to judge me for then. I'm okay with it.
  • @ZeusAres42 I was getting worried about being judged about this topic.
  • @ZeusAres42 I decided I'm not going to feel bad if I get judged anymore for this topic.