frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Do you think it's possible that a 1 year old could know science?

Debate Information

I was wondering if a person would think someone could know this when they're that young. It's not the same thing as critical thinking.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• anarchist100anarchist100 713 Pts   -  
    No.
  • @anarchist100 I think they could at that age. There are one year olds who know how to read and that know the alphabet, so I definitely think that they could know science at that age, but I mean that's just rote memorization.
  • anarchist100anarchist100 713 Pts   -   edited November 18
    @anarchist100 I think they could at that age. There are one year olds who know how to read and that know the alphabet, so I definitely think that they could know science at that age, but I mean that's just rote memorization.
    A one-year-old cannot actually understand complex subjects, they can memorize facts if they are one of the rare humans gifted with an excellent memory, but at that age their brains have not yet developed the ability to actually understand them, one-year-olds are literally babies, they don't even have enough understanding of language to put a sentence together, much less have the ability to truly grasp the meaning of scientific facts.
  • @anarchist100 Wrong because a toddlers brain is like a sponge.
    @anarchist100 Wrong because a toddlers brain is like a sponge.
    Yeah, they can memorize facts, that doesn't mean they can fully understand them.
  • @anarchist100 They could know 1+1 though.
    @anarchist100 They could know 1+1 though.
    Being able to understand what is literally one of the simplest things there are, is not the same as being able to understand science, which is often quite complex, Animals can do that math problem, it means literally nothing, other than that you're conscious.
  • @anarchist100 You realize that brain size has nothing to do with intelligence.
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 4800 Pts   -   edited November 18
    Well, I am in my 30-s, and I know very little science. Typically, the older the person working in science gets, the less science they believe they know, as the amount of knowledge they know they do not have increases over time.

If Feynman, one of the most brilliant physicists (and scientists in general) of all time, at around 80 years old kept routinely saying, "I do not know much about the world" - then I would not expect any 1 year old person to know much about anything.
  • @MayCaesar Well l, there have been 1 year olds who have known how to read and that know the alphabet.
    @anarchist100 You realize that brain size has nothing to do with intelligence.
    Untrue and irrelevant.