frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

What Are Thoughts Made Of?

Debate Information

Scientists say thoughts are made of a combination of neurons, which are cells that communicate with each other through electrical and chemical signals, and the connections between them, called synapses. These neural connections form networks in the brain that allow us to perceive, reason, and remember. The brain is an incredibly complex organ, and the specific mechanisms behind thoughts are not fully understood. However, scientists and researchers continue to study the brain and its functions in order to learn more about how it works and how we think.
ZeusAres42

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• NomenclatureNomenclature 1245 Pts   -  
    Well, you've explained what thoughts are made of, so I'm not sure what the debate is here.
    DeeOakTownA
  • JulesKorngoldJulesKorngold 828 Pts   -  
    Well, you've explained what thoughts are made of, so I'm not sure what the debate is here.
    Do you agree?  If not, the debate is on.
    @JulesKorngold
    Do you agree?  If not, the debate is on.

You've Googled the scientific explanation for what thoughts are and now you expect any person of reasonable intelligence to disagree with science? I don't think that's going to happen. You should really focus on debate questions which haven't been settled by scientific research.

• BoganBogan 449 Pts   -  
    "Thoughts" are "concepts".    People think about named objects using visual stereotypes, and each person creates for themselves a full range of stereotypical images to represent the named object they wish form a concept of.   If I was to say to you that "there is a bird outside our house sitting on a car roof".    Your mind would form a stereotypical  concept of a small, feathered animal in a perched position sitting on a stereotypical image of a car, in a stereotypical image of the "outside" of your house.      The stereotype need not be accurate, only accurate enough to form a concept which the brain can use to input information.   A penguin or an ostrich is a "bird", but you would not think of one of those creatures sitting on a car.   Your concept is formed by context.   So too, I might say to you "Muslim men are renowned for beating their wives."    Your mind would create a stereotypical image of a "Muslim man", perhaps an Arab looing man (which would also be a stereotype of an Arab man) beating a perhaps Arab looking female in typically Arab looking dress.

One of the stu-pidest "truisms" used by left thinking people is to say that "you must not stereotype"     That is exactly like saying "you must not think."     "Not thinking" is what leftism needs from it's devotees and converts.      Their problem is that everybody stereotypes to think.     I absolutely love it when my left wing opponents tell me that stereotyping is wrong, because it is impossible to express yourself without using stereotypes.    So, since they do it all the time themselves,  I just sit back and amuse myself pointing out to them their own stereotypes.    It drives them nuts.     With one particular opponent, I got up to four pages of stereotypical quotes from him before he gave up and admitted he was wrong.    Which is stereotypically rare for a lefty.    Thinking that they are the font of all wisdom who's opinions are as infallible as The Pope, is part of their makeup.       But then I got on a new debate site in another country and was surprised to discover the same guy on that site.   And there he was again, telling everybody that stereotyping is evil.    If lefties did not have double standards, they would have no standards at ll.    And that is my stereotype of leftist standards.  
    OakTownA
  • JulesKorngoldJulesKorngold 828 Pts   -  
    Argument Topic: You Got Your Wish!!

@Nomenclature
    There you go.  Argue with Bogan.
    ZeusAres42
    Argument Topic: Not Quite

@JulesKorngold

Well, in my defence I did say no person of reasonable intelligence would argue. This probably excludes Bogan.

You asked us what thoughts are made of. Bogan answered "concepts", then wrote another half a page expanding on his initial mistake. Concept is a synonym for thought. Concepts are abstract; they have no material form. Therefore, thoughts cannot be made from concepts. 

• BoganBogan 449 Pts   -  
    @JulesKorngold

He tried that with me and "just-sayin" on the "Are Races Equal" topic and he ran away with his tail between his legs.
    Nomenclature
  • NomenclatureNomenclature 1245 Pts   -   edited January 2023
    @Bogan
    he ran away with his tail between his legs.

I refused to engage you because you are a child. You think like a child and act like a child. Nothing is to be gained by arguing with someone as ignorant and proud of it as you are.

• SwolliwSwolliw 1530 Pts   -  
    @Nomenclature
    You should really focus on debate questions which haven't been settled by scientific research.

I think that perhaps you are taking a leaf out of the author's book....."Telling Others What Is and What Isn't for Dummies". There was another similar book published nearly one hundred years ago called Mein Kampf. Whilst it had a modicum of initial success with those of a very impressionable disposition, it was subsequently written off as being no better than being irrational, idealistic, dictatorial, stirring nonsense.

So getting to the crux of my point, I think it hardly advances a discussion by being hypocritical in criticizing and argument when your premise is similarly flawed. What the heck exactly has been settled by science and how, you didn't have the gumption to say nor did you take into account that such a subject has many areas worthy of questioning and discussion. To say that scientific findings are off limits and is the final word as dictated by thine own dictatorial self is going a bit beyond the pail.

Nomenclature
    @Swolliw

I think that perhaps you are taking a leaf out of the author's book....."Telling Others What Is and What Isn't for Dummies". There was another similar book published nearly one hundred years ago called Mein Kampf. 

You're comparing settled scientific questions with the rantings of a 20th century fascist dictator? That's awesome. Truly awesome.

• BarnardotBarnardot 533 Pts   -  
    @Nomenclature
    i reckon what he’s doing is saying that your like Hitler because your dictating all the time and calling every one kids because there not as good as you and then your make excuses because you keep on making up things like settled scientific questions which is dum as 13 year old stuff any way. So are you going to say what settled scientific question s means or are you going to keep making up dufis terms to suite what your dictating about to all the kids who aren’t as good as you 

• You're wasting your time with nom. Not much you can say to a guy that claims there is no such thing as gravity.

Nomenclature

@Barnardot
    i reckon what he’s doing is saying that your like Hitler because your dictating all the time

The word is you're. I would recommend you spend less time being radicalised by ultra far right politics and more time learning the basics of your own indigenous language. I can't imagine it benefits your racist political rants that foreigners speak better English than you do.

@ZeusAres42
    You're wasting your time with nom. Not much you can say to a guy that claims there is no such thing as gravity.

As you know full well I have never said any such thing. You're inventing complete lies like the sad little man you are. 

@ZeusAres42

You are truly a pathetic individual. 
  • BoganBogan 449 Pts   -  
    @JulesKorngold ;    There you go.  Argue with Bogan.

Thanks, ma-a-a-a-te.    I don't want him.    Nommie, go argue with Jules.
    @Bogan

In your case thoughts are made of a burning desire to humiliate whoever you happen to be arguing with. A bit like an angry seven year old.
    Dee
  • SwolliwSwolliw 1530 Pts   -  
    @Barnardot @Nomenclature

So are you going to say what settled scientific question s means or are you going to keep making up dufis terms

In general, you will find that those who suffered from neglect and bed-wetting issues well into puberty will develop a disposition whereby everything but their own thoughts, are wrong. And, given that their thoughts are invariably on the extreme northside of moderate, nothing but a full frontal lobotomy will ever change their perverted, devious mindset.

So, of course  such a person (and I won't mention the name of Nomenclature here) will never explain himself (as per your request) because what he knows is what is right. The best policy is to treat such people like a piece of canine excrement residing in the gutter. Just ignore it and eventually it will dry up, turn to dust, blow away and never be heard of again and nobody could ever give a toss.

• NomenclatureNomenclature 1245 Pts   -   edited January 2023
    @Swolliw

Your continued onslaught of personal attacks demonstrates clearly that you have no place on a debate site. The only thing you appear to be interested in doing is writing out long paragraphs of childish insults. It is my choice who I debate and who I don't, and I am not interested in being called a "piece of excrement" by pathetic, lowlife trolls such as yourself, who come here only to stoke division and who have nothing better to do in life than take their hatred out on other people. Go away and grow up.