frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

I'm not a fan of age restrictions for anything

Debate Information

I honestly don't think we should have age requirements for anything because our mental ages are all different and because we all have had a different number of life experiences. This is an unpopular opinion I have.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• OakTownAOakTownA 442 Pts   -  
    Please think about what you just wrote, and where age restrictions are in place, and the reasons why they may exist. For example; driving. A new born or toddler does not have the physical strength or coordination to drive a car. What about operating heavy machinery or on a factory production line? Again, children don't typically have the physical abilities to do this either. There are things that children are simply not physically developed enough to do safely.
  • @OakTownA I really think that minimum ages just go based on the average maturity of a population.
  • MichaelElpersMichaelElpers 1124 Pts   -  
    @theinfectedmaster

Age restrictions are in place because while you are correct about individual maturity there is no current objective way of measuring it.  Additionally there are negative effects items such as alcohol can have on developing organs.
  • @MichaelElpers When I told my dad that it's possible that a baby could be an adult based on their experiences. He said that no that that isn't possible.
  • @MichaelElpers I've had people claim that they've become adults when they're only 8 years because of their experiences.
    @theinfectedmaster

So what.  Plenty of toddlers think they are able to do things they clearly cannot or is very dangerous.

Additionally my statement still applies.  If that 8 year old were to drink alcohol it would negatively impact the development of their brain.
  • @MichaelElpers What if an 8 year old has gigantism though?
    @theinfectedmaster

I don't know enough about giantism to answer that.
  • @MichaelElpers It's when a person is abnormally tall for their age.
    @theinfectedmaste
    I know what it is.  I don't know the overall different health implications it has such as allowing someone young with this condition to drink alcohol.