frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

In this Debate

Can A 20 Year Old Be Wise?

Debate Information

Wisdom is a combination of knowledge, experience, and perspective, and can be present at nearly any age. It is possible for a 20-year-old to possess wisdom, although it may be less developed than that of an older individual with more life experience.

There have been many examples of individuals who have demonstrated wisdom at a young age. Some notable examples include:

• Malala Yousafzai, a Pakistani activist for female education who survived being shot by the Taliban at the age of 15 and went on to become the youngest Nobel Prize laureate at the age of 17.

• Greta Thunberg, a Swedish environmental activist who began protesting outside the Swedish parliament at the age of 15 and went on to become a leading voice in the fight against climate change

• Alexey Navalny, a Russian opposition leader and anti-corruption activist who has been imprisoned multiple times for his political activities, starting at the age of 30

• Emma González, an American gun control advocate who survived the Stoneman Douglas High School shooting in 2018 and became one of the leaders of the Never Again movement at the age of 18.

• Joshua Wong, a Hong Kong pro-democracy activist who became one of the leaders of the Umbrella Movement at the age of 17.

• Saffiyah Khan, a British activist who became known for her peaceful intervention in a confrontation between the English Defence League and a group of anti-fascist protesters in 2017, at the age of 20.

• David Hogg, an American gun control advocate and survivor of the Stoneman Douglas High School shooting in 2018. He co-founded Never Again MSD and March for our Lives at the age of 17

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
56%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 6020 Pts   -  
    Argument Topic: Conflation of concepts

Being successful at political activism does not imply being wise. What pieces of great wisdom have Greta Thunberg or Alexey Navalny produced that will be quoted for generations to come? One is a school dropout who makes non-scientific claims she picked up from various extremists and whose speeches are raw emotions with no substance (this is one of those cases where comparison with Hitler actually makes sense, and I am afraid that uncle Adolf wins this one), another one is a pretty typical Russian nationalist whose main opposition to Putin lays in his belief that Putin does not go far enough when it comes to expanding the Russian empire. What displays of wisdom am I missing?

As for the question itself, wisdom is a relative term. A 20 year old person can absolutely be extremely wise. That said, the same person at 30 years old is going to be far wiser still assuming nothing happens in their life that dramatically changes their approach to interpreting and learning from their experiences. In most cases, 20 year old people believe that they know almost everything there is to know about the world, and when they hit 30, they look back at their 20's version and are seriously embarrassed. I remember myself around the age of 20... I thought that everyone around me was a fool, and I alone had the access to the secrets of the Universe. Now I am in my early 30-s, and I do not think that I know much of anything. Am I wiser than I was 10+ years ago? Sure, and by far. Have I reached the pinnacle of wisdom across my whole life? No, not even close.