frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Is Meditation Worth It?

Debate Information

My view:

Meditation can have many benefits, such as reducing stress, improving focus and concentration, and promoting feelings of well-being. The effects of meditation can vary depending on the individual and the type of meditation practiced.

Some popular meditation types:
  1. Mindfulness meditation: This type of meditation involves paying attention to the present moment and accepting it without judgment.

2. Transcendental meditation: This type of meditation involves the use of a mantra or word to help focus the mind and achieve a state of deep relaxation.

3. Loving-kindness meditation: This type of meditation involves focusing on feelings of love and compassion for oneself and others.

4. Yoga Meditation: This type of meditation combines physical postures with breath control and concentration to help focus the mind and achieve a state of deep relaxation.

5. Zazen: This type of meditation is a central practice of Zen Buddhism, and it involves sitting in a specific posture and focusing on the breath.

6. Vipassana: This type of meditation focus on self-observation and introspection, it is also called "insight meditation"

7. Chakra meditation: This type of meditation focuses on the seven main chakras or energy centers in the body.

8. Guided meditation: This type of meditation involves listening to a guided audio recording or following along with an instructor.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    To be honest if it works for you fine by all means embrace it. I'm a former Buddhist which followed once I left Catholicism , meditation was a central practice and I found after a long time that the thing you were aiming to quiet and calm as in the ego you actually reinforced it by thinking "I'm getting good at this " also you gain this position of feeling somewhat different to others as in more balanced and wise in worldly matters again reinforcing the ego. I found I was not an isolated case but a norm regards this practice 

I eventually found true happiness is being happy in your own skin and not really giving a f-uck what others think of you as that is what causes humans much of their supposed life challenges
  • jackjack 456 Pts   -   edited January 2023
    JulesKorngold said:
    My view:

Meditation can have many benefits, such as reducing stress, improving focus and concentration, and promoting feelings of well-being.
    Hello J:

I'm a little more hands on than the practices you mentioned..  But, whatever it takes to get there, is cool by me.

I'm talking about biofeedback.  It's a method whereby you learn how to reach a state of well being, and a machine that buzzes when you get there.

excon
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6042 Pts   -  
    All of my attempts at getting into meditation have failed miserably, and I honestly do not buy the whole premise behind it. The problem with meditating in order to quiet your mind is the same as the problem with doing various tricks in order to be confident: the assumption here is that without these tricks you are not confident, so you become reliant on them. If your mind cannot be quiet without you meditating all the time, then by default your kind is running amok, so you have not really solved any problems.

In my personal experience, I am the calmest and happiest when I focus on the external world, and I am the most disturbed and miserable when focusing on the internal world. Say, when I am engaged in a great conversation and am genuinely curious about what my partner has to say, listening intently and asking clarifying questions, then I am 100% calm and forget about all of my problems and insecurities. And, in contrary, when I am focused on myself, on what my partner supposedly thinks of me, and try to say something to improve the impression, then I am stressed and worried, my consciousness is trapped, and I end up saying a lot of cringy stuff that makes me feel even worse.

I am a fan of betterment through massive action, not introspection. Sitting in your room and reflecting on your thoughts and feelings can only get you so far; you really move forward when you go out in the world and face your demons head on. You have some insecurity that poisons your life? Actively put yourself in situations when that insecurity gets poked at, see that nothing terrible happens, and the insecurity will go away, so younno longer have to actively silence it. 

Say, if you are insecure about your looks, then you can go to social environments, approach people who you find attractive, talk to them and broach the subject of importance of looks. Helped me with mine when, by doing so, I quickly learned that a) my perception of my looks was vastly more negative than other people's, and b) almost everyone has some insecurity about it. By now these facts have been internalized and the idea that I do not look fine seems completely preposterous to me. I doubt I could have come to the same realization by sitting on a floor and chanting some mantra for hours: I needed the actual real world data, not mental tricks.
  • jackjack 456 Pts   -  
    MayCaesar said:

I needed the actual real world data, not mental tricks.
    Hello May:

I think we were cross posting. 

Go read my tale of the buzzing well being machine?? 

excon