frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Is Putin Delusional?

Debate Information

He claims the Ukraine war was started by the West, and Russia needs to protect itself from the war-mongering decadent West that opened the door to Nazism in the 1930s and where today pedophilia is the norm and God is gender neutral.  Putin is suspending its participation in the New Start treaty, the only remaining arms control agreement between the US and Russia.  Putin continues to make veiled nuclear threats.

One year in, the war in Ukraine has shown that Putin and his cohort’s beliefs are still rooted in Soviet frames and narratives, overlaid with a thick glaze of Russian imperialism. Soviet-era concepts of geopolitics, spheres of influence, East versus West, and us versus them shape Putin’s mindset.

Putin and his colleagues are willing to sacrifice Russian lives, not just Ukrainians’. They have no qualms about the methods Russia uses to enforce participation in the war, from murdering deserters with sledgehammers (and then releasing video footage of the killings) to assassinating recalcitrant businessmen who do not support the invasion. Putin is perfectly fine with imprisoning opposition figures while sweeping through prisons and the most impoverished Russian regions to collect people to use as cannon fodder on the frontlines.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• NomenclatureNomenclature 1245 Pts   -  
    @JulesKorngold

I'll have to say no, given that I calculate there to be an average 87.8 percent probability any statement you make is a lie.
  • jackjack 453 Pts   -  

Is Putin Delusional?

Hello Lantzman:

Nahh...  He's singing his LAST tune and he knows it.  Despots like him, don't retire to the countryside..  They get deposed, murdered, and thrown out.  He knows that.  His time is short.

No matter what he says about the nukes, MAD is STILL the operative going forward..

excon
  • jackjack 453 Pts   -  
    @JulesKorngold

I'll have to say no, given that I calculate there to be an average 87.8 percent probability any statement you make is a lie.
    Hello hater:

Still BUTTHURT, huh?  Poor fella.  When you go all BUTTHURT from a debate, does that mean you won?? Nahhh.

Bwa ha ha ha ha ha ha.

excon, Jew

Nomenclature
  • NomenclatureNomenclature 1245 Pts   -   edited February 2023
    @jack
    Still BUTTHURT, huh?

Hi delusional fake Jew scumbag.

Still CAPITALISING FOR EMPHASIS BECAUSE YOU'RE NOT SMART ENOUGH TO FIGURE OUT WHERE THE ITALICS BUTTON IS, I SEE.

Honestly Jack, if dumb was a country you'd be the capital. 

• jackjack 453 Pts   -  
    Argument Topic: Nahh... He's singing his LAST tune and he knows it. Despots like him, don't retire to the countryside.. They get deposed, murdered, and thrown out. He knows that. His time is short. No matter what he says about the nukes, MAD is STILL the operative going forward..

Honestly Jack, if dumb was a country you'd be the capital.
    Hello hater:

If you COULD refute my argument above, you would..  But, you CAN'T, so you snivel and call me 5th grade names..

Bwa ha ha ha ha ha.

excon, Jewish fella

• NomenclatureNomenclature 1245 Pts   -  
    @jack
    Hello hater:
    If you COULD refute my argument above, you would.

You replied to my post Jack. I didn't reply to yours.

As a general rule I ignore all of your posts because you're outrageously brainless and annoying. 

Dee
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6020 Pts   -  
    I suspect that Putin fell in what I call the "dictator's curse". Holding a position of power for a very long time does something to the person's mind and he starts seeing himself as omnipotent and invincible, able to get away with anything. He also becomes a victim of his own propaganda, and it is quite likely that Putin's belief that ge is saving Ukraine from the Nazis is genuine.

Then he does something wild like invading Ukraine, or invading Kuwait, or ordering a domestic genocide, or nationalizing the oil industry... And then the reality hits him in the face: the world does not quite comply with his fantasies and fights back hard. And now the opposite extreme takes charge and the dictator becomes paranoid that everyone is out to get him - and starts murdering doctors, threatening the antagonist with a nuclear strike, constantly replacing advisors for not telling him exactly what he wants to hear... Putin is entering this stage rapidly, following Mubarak's path, if not the timeline.

Putin may easily rule Russia for a couple of decades yet: the guy appears pretty healthy physically and dominates the political space. His actions will just become increasingly less sensible, the rest of the world will impose increasingly hard sanctions, and Russians staying in Russia (big mistake) will live increasingly miserable lives.

Putin is an old style dictator, a dying breed. Nowadays the dictatorships that last feature clean succession and power balance systems: look at China or Saudi Arabia which are rock solid and are not going to crumble over one leader going insane. Russia, unless something changes in its political structure, is going to collapse eventually, and Putin is eerily similar to Brezhnev in the growing madness department.

Unfortunately, China and Saudi Arabia are likely going to stay as they are, and more unfortunately still, it appears that the Western intellectuals become increasingly fascinated with those dictatorships' methods - just look at the abuse of freedoms that happened around here due to COVID, many totalitarian policies explicitly borrowed from the CCP's cookbook.
    ZeusAres42
  • NomenclatureNomenclature 1245 Pts   -   edited February 2023
    @MayCaesar

I suspect that Putin fell in what I call the "dictator's curse". Holding a position of power for a very long time does something to the person's mind and he starts seeing himself as omnipotent and invincible, able to get away with anything. He also becomes a victim of his own propaganda, and it is quite likely that Putin's belief that ge is saving Ukraine from the Nazis is genuine.

Then he does something wild like invading Ukraine, or invading Kuwait, or ordering a domestic genocide, or nationalizing the oil industry... And then the reality hits him in the face: the world does not quite comply with his fantasies and fights back hard. 

Respectfully, it isn't Putin who is the victim of propaganda. It's you.

NATO was a Cold War military alliance ostensibly devised to prevent any Soviet incursion into Europe. When the Cold War ended, NATO should have disbanded. However, not only did NATO fail to disband: it grew. 

After the fall of the Soviet Bloc in 1991, the Russian leadership were given sworn promises by the US that NATO would not creep "one inch" further eastwards and encroach on former Soviet territory. The Russians took them at their word. However, over the past several decades, NATO has done exactly what the US promised it would not do. Steadily, all of the former Soviet satellite states have been incorporated into NATO. 

Putin has been clear for many years that Ukraine was the line in the sand and he had forged a good relationship with its former president. However, in 2014, the west covertly backed a coup in Ukraine to get rid of the former president so that its leadership could be replaced with one more amenable to western interests. It led to outright civil war in the eastern parts of Ukraine. 

In short, the west has been poking Putin with a stick for the last fifteen years. Western media will not share these views with you because you live in a propaganda state. Of course, Russia is arguably a propaganda state itself, but two wrongs don't make a right. 

Dee
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -   edited February 2023
    @Nomenclature

Good piece Nom and spot on , goading Putin has been thing for a long time and its been constant with continuous veiled threats never once abating.

Of course for even suggesting such one eaves himself open to the infantile typically  American threat as in "you're either with us or against us".

I don't like Putin but this situation could have been avoided if the super powers hadn't  been constantly needling Putin, even when it all kicked off the id-ot  Biden couldn't resist with his constant over the top threats and typical American bravado crowing 

Nomenclature
  • JulesKorngoldJulesKorngold 828 Pts   -  
    Argument Topic: Examples of Putin's Delusions

1. Claiming that the fall of the Soviet Union was the “greatest geopolitical catastrophe” of the 20th century.

2. Refusing to accept the results of the 2011 Parliamentary elections in Russia, accusing the United States of interfering and claiming the election was “unfair”.

3. Claiming that the Russian economy is “one of the most competitive in the world” despite the fact that it ranks only 40th in the world in terms of GDP per capita.

4. Announcing plans to build a “Greater Eurasian partnership” to connect the European Union to China and India.

5. Continuing his foreign policy of “assertive nationalism” and “resurgent imperialism” in order to secure Russia’s place as a global power.

6. Rejecting international criticism of his actions in Crimea, Syria and Ukraine, instead claiming that he was restoring Russia’s rightful place in the world.

7. Promising to make Russia “greater, stronger and more influential” by modernizing its military and economy.

8. Asserting that Russia is a “peace-loving paradise."

• 1. Claiming that the fall of the Soviet Union was the “greatest geopolitical catastrophe” of the 20th century.

2. Refusing to accept the results of the 2011 Parliamentary elections in Russia, accusing the United States of interfering and claiming the election was “unfair”.

3. Claiming that the Russian economy is “one of the most competitive in the world” despite the fact that it ranks only 40th in the world in terms of GDP per capita.

4. Announcing plans to build a “Greater Eurasian partnership” to connect the European Union to China and India.

5. Continuing his foreign policy of “assertive nationalism” and “resurgent imperialism” in order to secure Russia’s place as a global power.

6. Rejecting international criticism of his actions in Crimea, Syria and Ukraine, instead claiming that he was restoring Russia’s rightful place in the world.

7. Promising to make Russia “greater, stronger and more influential” by modernizing its military and economy.

8. Asserting that Russia is a “peace-loving paradise."

Good bullet points. But how about now you turn these drafted bulleted points into an argumentive piece?

• jackjack 453 Pts   -  

Good bullet points. But how about now you turn these drafted bulleted points into an argumentive piece?
    Hello Z:

Excuse me for butting in, but Jules DID say the items listed were false..  Therefore, you can't draft untruths into any kind of persuasive anything.  All you can do is call them out for being lies.

excon

ZeusAres42
  • ZeusAres42ZeusAres42 Emerald Premium Member 2718 Pts   -   edited February 2023
    jack said:

Hello Z:

Excuse me for butting in, but Jules DID say the items listed were false..  Therefore, you can't draft untruths into any kind of persuasive anything.  All you can do is call them out for being lies.

excon

I take it you have never had to write an argumentative essay. Because if you did you would have understood what I was referencing and perhaps avoided attacking that strawman.

• jackjack 453 Pts   -  

I take it you have never had to write an argumentative essay. Because if you did you would have understood what I was referencing and perhaps avoided attacking that strawman.

Hello Z:

I have NO idea what you said..  None, whatsoever.  But, you do you..  I'll just watch.

excon

ZeusAres42
  • @JulesKorngold

hmm, I never knew the idea of whether or not Putin is delusional rests solely on some bruh from Debateisland.@Nomenclature.

• KekeeKekee 23 Pts   -  
    Delusional? No

Desperate and an opportunist? Yes