frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Ebooks or Paper Books?

Debate Information

Ebooks and paper books each have their own unique advantages and disadvantages. Here are some points of comparison:

1. Portability: Ebooks are more portable than paper books because you can carry thousands of books in a single device, like a tablet or e-reader. Paper books, on the other hand, can be heavy and bulky, making them less convenient for travel.

2. Durability: Ebooks do not degrade over time, whereas paper books can become damaged or discolored if they are not stored properly. However, ebook devices can break or become outdated, whereas paper books can last for centuries with proper care.

3. Reading experience: Some people prefer the tactile experience of holding and flipping through the pages of a paper book, while others prefer the convenience of reading on a screen. Ebooks allow you to adjust the font size and typeface, and some devices also have features like built-in dictionaries, highlighting, note-taking, and searching.

4. Cost: Ebooks are often cheaper than paper books, especially for new releases and bestsellers. Additionally, many public domain books are available for free in ebook format. However, the initial cost of an ebook device can be higher than buying a single paper book.

5. Environmental impact: Ebooks are often touted as more environmentally friendly than paper books, since they do not require paper or shipping. However, the production and disposal of electronic devices also have environmental impacts.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• SwolliwSwolliw 1530 Pts   -  
    @JulesKorngold
    I think that Ebooks are certainly here to stay as are most electronic forms of media; they are more readily accessible, convenient and save on masses of time and resource-consuming processes. 
    That doesn't take away from the fact that there are still some advantages to the "analogous" media.
    Omar Khayyam once stated "The moving finger writes; and having writ, moves on." 
    For example, some unscrupulous people have been known to type vitriolic and incorrect words only to come back and re-edit them and cry, "show me where I said that?" 

Once words are written, they remain there for all to see and judge,..... "nor all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel half a line, nor all thy tears wash out a word of it."
  • JoeKerrJoeKerr 332 Pts   -  
    E-books may be here to stay, but I am not a big fan. I am old school when it comes to reading books and newspapers.
    It is a much more tactile experience to hold a book or newspaper in your hands and turn the pages. You feel more in touch with the words on the pages
    We can all order whatever books we wish online, but what could be better than going to a bookshop and browsing the shelves before taking your chosen book home?

• OakTownAOakTownA 442 Pts   -  
    Both. I love the sensory experience of paper books (the feel of the cover, the smell of the paper, the sound as the pages turn), but I also love being able to carry hundreds of books around with me on one small device.
    JulesKorngold