frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Does everyone's beliefs confirm to societial beliefs?

Debate Information

I was wondering what anyone thinks about this. I know that my beliefs for sure don't confirm.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• NomenclatureNomenclature 1245 Pts   -  
    Nope. Society is insane, and if you subscribe to its insane beliefs then you're insane too.
    theinfectedmasterDee
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6020 Pts   -  
    Think of a society as a river. You do not want to just be swiped off by the current and be a passive observer of your fate - extreme conformity - but you also cannot just ignore the current and act as if it does not exist: you will drown - extreme non-conformity. What you want to do is to keep and develop your independent identity while also learning about the society and adjusting your behavior in a way that allows you to use it as a resource most efficiently.

With beliefs specifically, you should have your own independent beliefs, while keeping others' beliefs in mind. If you have beliefs practicing which is incompatible with living in the society, then you have three choices: adjust your beliefs, adjust your response to them or adjust the society (i.e. change it or move into a different one). For instance, if you believe that everyone should be able to wear whatever they want including nothing at all, but your society expects a strict dress code, then you better tread carefully. If you are a man and live in Japan, then, even though nearly everyone else does it, you do not necessarily have to wear a formal jacket all the time - but if you express your individuality by going out wearing nothing but a thong, you will pay the piper. The question really is to which extent the benefits of expressing your individuality outweigh the negative consequences of doing so in your eyes.

Lastly, people who do not believe that their beliefs are heavily influenced by other people's actually tend to be the least independent ones. The fact that your beliefs on a particular subject do not conform with the mainstream does not at all imply that you have not fallen under the influence of a smaller group of social scammers - you see that all over the place in the developed world where communists, incels, conspiracy theorists, national conservatives and other weirdos take pride in "standing up to the gullible masses" while following their cults' dogmas unquestionably.

I personally like to do a reality check from time to time when I purposefully try to attack something that I believe from multiple angles and see if any cracks show. It can be something as fundamental as, "The world around me is not fake", or as specific as, "Drinking rum from time to time makes me happier". If my attack succeeds, then great, now time to do some hard work! And if it fails, then also great, I can rest assured that my belief is not a display of complete madness. Either way, I win, and my ego loses, which makes the victory all the sweeter. ;)
    OakTownA
  • OakTownAOakTownA 442 Pts   -  
    Which society? Somethings yes, others no, but I think that's probably typical of most people.
  • @MayCaesar I wouldn't care if no one liked me though for my non-conforming views though.
  • anarchist100anarchist100 782 Pts   -  
    No, and thank God for that, unfortunately the vast majority of people will conform though, society is wrong quite often, people have believed a lot of incorrect things in the past and still do today, the fact is that your average person isn't that logical, and they will get very angry when you suggest something outside of their worldview, that's why they tend to silence certain ideas, they can't be allowed to do that, when we allow them to shut down new ideas, society is held back, this is bad, not only does the government silence ideas though censorship, often it's the general population that causes problems for people who think in ways that they don't approve of. It is essential that we limit people's ability to make life harder for others based on their ideas. One example of this is in abusing people based on their views, I've seen a lot of people on this site do that.
    Nomenclature
  • @anarchist100 I don't believe that the majority of people confirm to all the views of their society.
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6020 Pts   -  
    @MayCaesar I wouldn't care if no one liked me though for my non-conforming views though.
    Would you care if their dislike manifested in no one wanting to sell food, water and housing to you? Would you care if they sent you to jail or executed? In case of extreme non-conformity, when you do something that everyone views as absoltely unacceptable, such things happen.

Even if we are just talking about you expressing your views and doing nothing else, depending on your views, you may end up socially isolated, with few career perspectives, friends and romantic options. Like it or not, being able to play the social game well is essential for a happy life for the overwhelming majority of people.
  • anarchist100anarchist100 782 Pts   -   edited February 2023
    @anarchist100 I don't believe that the majority of people confirm to all the views of their society.
    It's pretty obvious that they do, people learn from society, we are social creatures, therefor what society believes we will also believe, it is our human nature to want to be normal, and see follow social norms, that's why though out all of history people have believed foolish things because of their society, this is a historically validated psychological fact, that in reality we are all subject to, only when we realize this can they become more independent and logical, refusing to examine your own thinking is bad, we all are illogical by nature.

What are social norms if not the majority of society believes? And if people aren't just trying to conform, then why do the majority of people always seem to believe the same sort of things? Or as it could also be worded, why would we have social norms in the first place?
    theinfectedmaster
  • theinfectedmastertheinfectedmaster 145 Pts   -  
    @anarchist100 I've done things that people have just have seen me as socially awkward for, but I haven't cared.
  • theinfectedmastertheinfectedmaster 145 Pts   -  
    @MayCaesar The thing is that you could spend pretty much your whole entire life in the woods, like Christopher Knight if the majority of people in a society disliked you.
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -   edited March 2023
    What we call society is sick beyond belief , human beings are mostly destructive,  irrational and highly dangerous..

If trees disappeared from the face of the earth we would cease to be , if bees vanished overnight we would be finished, likewise insects ......if humans ceasd to be the planet would thrive.

The great Thomas Hobbes was criticised for what was deemed his negative view of humans , I think his chilling view of humans was an entirely accurate assessment...

Thomas Hobbes .

“red in tooth and claw.”
  • SwolliwSwolliw 1530 Pts   -  
    @theinfectedmaster
    I've done things that people have just have seen me as socially awkward for, but I haven't cared.

That may well be a nice piece of bravado and a convenient throw-away line designed to make you feel warm and fuzzy inside.

But really, being so reckless will surely be your downfall if you don't at least take stock of yourself and realize that you are merely making up excuses for your behavior rather than daring to break the mold and do something about it so you can get more out of life.