frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

is online debating a nugatory obstinance that is counter productive?

Debate Information

Although debating is a natural occurence in our lives occurring every day between two people or more equally sharing their take on a specific topic. While this was more popular between friends, in school, or at the dinner table. Debating has now grown and expanded worldwide thanks to the internet. In ancient greece, debating was practiced as a way to find resolute to a common issue. Here in the United States the Lincoln-Douglas debates is a staple.

Debates have shifted from becoming involved to fight for change and encouraging to make a real impact on a topic. Today, none of this is true. Debating has become more popular in being counter productive encouraging people to stay in rheir homes and slander their opinions on comment boxes all over the world without creating any change. This trend is not helping to solve real issues and only allowing real issues to grow while people do nothing but talk about it online.

What do you think debate sites are good for other than to do nothing?. Is it productive or counter productive?. Do debaters online feel like their opinion means something other than being nothing?.

MineSubCraftStarved

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• NomenclatureNomenclature 1245 Pts   -  
    is online debating a nugatory obstinance

Are you calling me a nugget?

• bjinthirtybjinthirty 139 Pts   -  
    Yes and no. Im asking what the purpose of debating is, if only for amusement. Not protecting the ability to continue practicing it. I believe that at this time and age, society has become pu***fied by the idea of sharing opinions online and building useless networks of support that lead nowhere but the pockets of chinese men buying online data to study how you live. Online debate sites like these are only encouraging people to stay home and speak to others that agree. Debating has shifted from important political gain to hands down just crying. 

top 10 things we need to improve in the US

(1). Require every male teen (females optional) to minimum 1 year of military service.

(2). Restrict and regulate the use of free money given away to countries not in line with what the US represents and corruption.

(3). Restructure all federal departments with new oversight and expand the use of FBI capabilities in all aspects especially in discovering spy ring networks and militia groups.

(4). Make available more grant opportunities for students to study overseas.

(5). Advertise more programs for all ages in competing for government contracts in the field of science and technology.

(6). Focus more on the planet and preserving natural habitats.

(7). Expand the facilities offering drug addiction treatment to rehabilitate the troubled.

(8). Education reform.

(9). Regulate big pharma and provide families with real treatments for common illnesses.

(10). oversight and oversight and oversight of every government funding for state and local, grants, programs, everything. 

• NomenclatureNomenclature 1245 Pts   -  
    @bjinthirty
    Require every male teen (females optional) to minimum 1 year of military service.

Your military is ubiquitously hated everywhere outside of America. The world is sick of your military, as evidenced:-

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/05/us-threat-democracy-russia-china-global-poll

• DreamerDreamer 272 Pts   -  
    Argument Topic: Everything depends upon the interlocutors.

Some people are honest open minded people who are misinformed. Others are trolls and bots. Rarest of rare is an honest open-minded and informed person.
  • @bjinthirty
    I would contend strongly that debate(including online debate) is an essential component of society and that it is productive.
    Online debate helps build logic and research skills in a rather safe environment. It is safe in the fact that you suffer no real-world consequences regarding your relationship with others you know in real life. Thus, you can easily argue and understand any topic online without having to worry about actual consequences.
    Although one can make the argument that this would lead to trolling. It is possible for you to simply ignore such undesirables on many debating websites, debate-island included.

Online debate additionally helps you understand the other side. So debating is productive as it allows you to conclude what may be the most optimal policy for a given problem with a greater sense of understanding.
    It's also a great alternative to many other hobbies prevalent today, like social media, television, or video games.

I conducted online debating actively around a year ago or so, and I stopped for personal reasons. Now I see that after doing so, I have observed an overall decrease in my argumentation in the real world, my reading and writing skills, and my overall confidence. Online debate is GOOD as it strengthened such things, and I can easily say that this is the case for me at least from personal experience. And such things resulted in better productivity.