frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Should stoplights be abolished?

Debate Information

I was wondering what anyone thinks about this.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• theinfectedmastertheinfectedmaster 145 Pts   -  
    Argument Topic: Yes they need to go.

Stoplights are actually less environmentally friendly because they cause people to waste their gas when they're stopped at the stoplight. Also, if people want to get away from a person who's drunk or that is texting behind, and they can't because the light is read, and there are cars in front of them and on the sides, then they can't go basically, and the run the risk of getting into a car accident with them.
    Luigi7255
  • jackjack 453 Pts   -  

Should stoplights be abolished?

Hello the:

Sure.  It'll happen when self driving cars become a reality.

excon

theinfectedmaster
  • Luigi7255Luigi7255 695 Pts   -  
    Are you mentally okay? Like, seriously, you need mental help if you seriously think stoplights, the things stopping us from crashing into each other at 70 mph, need to go.
    DeeGalvanisetheinfectedmaster
    "I will never change who I am just because you do not approve."
  • theinfectedmastertheinfectedmaster 145 Pts   -   edited April 2023
    @Luigi7255 They do. I feel like we should replace them with roundabouts or stop signs. Also, no one has mental problems if they think that stoplights need to go. I find it extremely offensive when anyone says that. I would rather that stop signs be used instead of stoplights because I think stoplights are bad for the environment.
  • Luigi7255Luigi7255 695 Pts   -   edited April 2023
    @theinfectedmaster

Roundabouts would literally do nothing and makes no sense. Also, if you find saying "you have a mental illness" offensive, then:

You have a mental illness. You have a mental illness. You have a mental illness. You have a mental illness. You have a mental illness. You have a mental illness. You have a mental illness. You have a mental illness. You have a mental illness. You have a mental illness. You have a mental illness. You have a mental illness. You have a mental illness. You have a mental illness. You have a mental illness. You have a mental illness. You have a mental illness. You have a mental illness. You have a mental illness. You have a mental illness. You have a mental illness. You have a mental illness. You have a mental illness. You have a mental illness. You have a mental illness. You have a mental illness. You have a mental illness. You have a mental illness. You have a mental illness. You have a mental illness. You have a mental illness. You have a mental illness. 
    theinfectedmaster
    @Luigi7255 I think about people, too who need to escape for people who are texting, and that isn't always an option for people who are stopped at stoplights, so they could run the risk of being hit by them. This is why I'm for roundabouts and stop signs. I think if you are saying that if someone needs mental help for giving a good explanation as to why stoplights need to go away that you are being offensive.
    @Luigi7255 Yes roundabouts would reduce the amount of pollution because people get to save more of their gas.
    @jack I don't think driverless cars are going to get rid of stoplights though
    @Galvanise That might be offensive to some Jewish people, so I would be careful.
    @theinfectedmaster

Aren't you the same person who believes a 12-year-old should be able to legally have a sexual relationship with an adult? I don't know about me, but you sound like a mentally ill person if you believe this, along with that.
    @Luigi7255 People choose what they want to believe in. A mental disorder isn't a choice.
    @Luigi7255 I've been the victim of a car accident because a person behind me was texting, and it was when I was stopped at a stoplight, too.
    @theinfectedmaster

Well, clearly you are mentally ill. You need a therapist before some 12-year-old gets their life ruined.
    @theinfectedmaster

Cool, I don't care.
    @Luigi7255 By the way, if you say anything offensive stuff on my createdebates on creatdebate.com, I will be banning you from my debates.
    @Luigi7255 I don't even want to have sex with anyone. Just because I think something doesn't mean I'm going to do it.
    @theinfectedmaster

I don't touch that website. I might now because you're telling me not to, maybe I'll get others to do so too. I prefer not to let people like you who support a crime against children go without a stern talking to.
    @Luigi7255 I wish I could ban you from my debates here. I'm worried that if you tell anyone else that they have mental health problems just because they think stoplights should be abolished that they're going to want to take they're life because of you, so you need to stop saying those things, like seriously.
    @theinfectedmaster

No, I will keep saying it until you realize that there's something wrong with you. Saying stoplights end lives is like saying seatbelts are bad, it's illogical and just plain useless. You have a mental illness.
    theinfectedmaster
    @Luigi7255 No. I do not, and I psychiatrist will look at you if you say that.
    @Luigi7255 I think seatbelts are good and shouldn't be abolished.
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @theinfectedmaster

That might be offensive to some Jewish people

Facts don't care about people's feelings 

, so I would be careful.

Would you indeed? Stop being  such a snowflake
    anarchist100theinfectedmaster
  • anarchist100anarchist100 782 Pts   -  
    @Galvanise That might be offensive to some Jewish people, so I would be careful.
    Literally everything is offensive to some Jewish people, there seems to be a portion of the Jewish population that will whine about the most irrelevant things. Take the ADL for example. It's one thing to talk about people saying hateful things, but that's not really what they're doing, the stuff they whine about is most just like the sort of thing Nomenclature just said, it's not really hateful, just offensive to people who want to be offended, it really seems as if their goal is to shut down debate over subjects that they don't want talked about.

Of course, for the vile demons who will seek to convict me of some sin of bigotry against Jews, as their evil nature causes them to seek the down fall of others, I must unfortunately clarify that it's not all Jews, most Jews are ok, and some are certainly good people worthy of respect.
    theinfectedmasterGalvaniseDee
    @Galvanise I have logical reasons as to why I think stoplights should be abolished. I wish maybe that I could ban you from this debate, too.
  • MichaelElpersMichaelElpers 1121 Pts   -  
    @theinfectedmaster

Are you seriously suggesting we should ban traffic lights to save the environment? 
    What about all of the CO2 that will be released building all of these new roundabouts.
    Im a little bit more concerned with getting destroyed by a car.

"think about people, too who need to escape for people who are texting, and that isn't always an option for people who are stopped at stoplights, so they could run the risk of being hit by them. This is why I'm for roundabouts and stop signs"

Not sure youve presented any logical argument why you think stop lights cause less wrecks from texters.

Stop signs still stop people and to me are far less obivious.  Roundabouts in place of stoplights on major highways will still require people to stop.  Also im not sure how well people would do with multi lane roundabouts.
  • JulesKorngoldJulesKorngold 828 Pts   -  
    Argument Topic: Traffic Lights Are Indispensable

Traffic lights are essential tools for managing and controlling traffic in cities and urbanized areas.  Here are some of the main reasons why traffic lights are necessary compared to other traffic control tools, such as stop signs:

1. More Effective Regulation of Traffic Flow: Traffic lights can better regulate traffic flow through intersections by providing signals to drivers when they should stop or go. This may involve controlling traffic on multiple lanes, changing the cycle of the signals based on traffic volume or time of day, etc.

2. Improved Visibility and Predictability: Unlike stop signs, traffic lights are illuminated, making them more visible even in low light conditions. The predictable light cycle allows drivers and pedestrians to anticipate when they will have the right of way or when they must stop, reducing confusion and potential accidents.

3. Greater Control over Pedestrian Traffic: In areas with a high volume of pedestrians, traffic lights are vital to ensuring their safety. Crosswalk signals give pedestrians an indication of when it is safe to cross the road, reducing the risk of injury or fatality. 

4. Management of Different Traffic Flows: Traffic flow in different lanes can be regulated separately with traffic lights, using advanced signal systems, so that traffic from different directions may move through the intersection in a safer and more organized way.

5. Handling Complex Intersections: When numerous lanes, dedicated turns, or other complex features come into play (such as roundabouts), traffic lights' use will be necessary. By improving visibility, predictability, and flow, more complex intersections are better regulated, thus decreasing the risk of bottlenecks or crashes.

In conclusion, while stop signs are an important tool for ensuring road safety, they are not adequate for regulating the more complex and high-volume flows of traffic in urbanized regions. Traffic lights, with their greater capacity to manage multiple lanes, pedestrian traffic, and complex situations, are needed for the safe and efficient management of vehicular and pedestrian traffic, keeping road users safe and reducing accidents.
    theinfectedmaster
    @MichaelElpers Roundabouts have been proven to save gas.
    @JulesKorngold I do think your argument is strong, but I still have reasons as to why I disagree with you.
    Argument Topic: Jewish Atheists

• Woody Allen
    • Stanley Kubrick
    • Golda Meir
    • David Ben-Gurion
    • Moshe Dayan
    • Rodney Dangerfield
    • Randy Newman
    • Larry King
    • Howard Stern
    • Arthur Miller
    • Isaac Asimov
    • Yuval Noah Harari
    • Franz Kafka
    • Primo Levi
    • Ayn Rand
    • Carl Sagan
    • Marvin Minsky
    • Norbert Wiener
    • Richard Feynman
    • J. Robert Oppenheimer
    • Sam Harris
    • Christopher Hitchens
    • David Silverman (current president of American Atheists who eats kosher food made by his Jewish mother)
    • Herman Kahn
    • Erich Fromm

Jewish atheism refers to the atheism of people who are ethnically and (at least to some extent) culturally Jewish. Contrary to popular belief, the term "Jewish atheism" is not a contradiction because Jewish identity encompasses not only religious components but also ethnic and cultural ones. Jewish law's emphasis on descent through the mother means that even religiously Orthodox Jewish authorities would accept an atheist born to a Jewish mother as fully Jewish.

Jewish secularism, which describes Jews who do not explicitly reject the existence of God but also do not believe it is an important part of their Jewishness, has a long tradition in the United States.  A 2013 study conducted by the Pew Research Center found that 62% of self-described American Jews say being Jewish is mainly a matter of ancestry and culture, while just 15% say it is mainly a matter of religion. Even among Jews by religion, 55% say being Jewish is mainly a matter of ancestry and culture, while 66% say it is not necessary to believe in God to be Jewish.

MineSubCraftStarved
    @JulesKorngold We can put lights on stops signs, make them glow in the dark, or have them light up to make them visible at night.
  • BarnardotBarnardot 533 Pts   -  
    @theinfectedmaster Well I reckon that if they baned the lights then we wouldn't have any where else to pick our boogers.
    theinfectedmaster
    @Luigi7255 People have to slow down at stop signs and roundabouts.
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @theinfectedmaster

Argument Topic: Yes they need to go.

Stoplights are actually less environmentally friendly because they cause people to waste their gas when they're stopped at the stoplight. Also, if people want to get away from a person who's drunk or that is texting behind, and they can't because the light is read, and there are cars in front of them and on the sides, then they can't go basically, and the run the risk of getting into a car accident with them.

Argument Topic: no  they need to stay

Stoplights are actually more environmentally friendly because they cause people to use less   gas when they're stopped at the stoplight. Also, if people want to get safe  from a person who's drunk or that is texting behind, they are safer in their car instead of getting into a car chase.
    theinfectedmaster
    @Dee No Dee you are actually wrong about that, and research has proven that you actually use less gas at a roundabout then at light a light. Roundabouts actually help to save gas. Stoplights actually cause people to through more carbon emissions into the air.
    Dee
    Argument Topic: Stop Lights At Roundabouts

Roundabouts are designed to allow traffic to flow continuously without the use of traffic signals or stop signs. As such, incorporating stop lights in roundabouts would contradict their basic design principle of promoting efficient traffic flow and reducing wait times. However, there might be some unique situations where stop lights might be useful in roundabouts, such as:

1. Pedestrian Safety: In high pedestrian traffic areas, stop lights could be installed as part of the crosswalk in the roundabout to enhance pedestrian safety.

2. Emergency Vehicle Access: In larger roundabouts, stop lights may be used to provide emergency vehicles with a safe and clear path through the roundabout.

3. Special Circumstances: Sometimes, temporary or situational stop lights might be installed in a roundabout, such as during road or utility repairs or work activities that require overhead clearance.

However, it is important to note that the use of stoplights in roundabouts may require additional costs of construction, maintenance, and installation. Moreover, the utilization of stoplights would likely lead to increased vehicle wait times, thereby increasing pollution and fuel consumption, which is counter to the primary goals of roundabouts. Therefore, the use of stop lights in roundabouts should be carefully evaluated to ensure that they align with the overall goals of promoting safety, efficiency, and environmental sustainability. In general, the use of stop lights should be minimized and avoided whenever possible in favor of the roundabout's proven design principles.
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -   edited April 2023
    @theinfectedmaster

No Dee you are actually wrong about that

No I'm actually right

, and research has proven that you actually use less gas at a roundabout then at light a light

Who's research ?

. Roundabouts actually help to save gas.

Nonsense 

Stoplights actually cause people to through more carbon emissions into the air.

Rubbish 

theinfectedmaster
    Argument Topic: The Facts

Several studies have compared the environmental impacts of roundabouts and signalized intersections, focusing primarily on vehicle operation, fuel consumption, and air emissions. While the results of these studies vary based on local conditions, traffic patterns, and signal timing strategies, the overwhelming majority of studies have found that roundabouts are, on average, more environmentally sustainable than traditional signalized intersections.

Roundabouts can reduce fuel consumption and pollution emissions by promoting a smoother traffic flow, reducing stop-and-go traffic, and minimizing congestion. According to the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), roundabouts can reduce vehicle delays by up to 75%, reducing fuel consumption and greenhouse gas emissions. Additionally, an FHWA study found that roundabouts had significantly lower emissions of nitrogen oxides, carbon monoxide, and VOCs than conventional signalized intersections.

However, it is important to note that the emission savings associated with roundabouts depend on factors such as traffic volume, the number of lanes, and the design of the roundabout. In some cases, roundabouts have also been known to have their own environmental impacts, such as increased noise and runoff pollution, particularly if the roundabout has high volumes of heavy vehicles such as trucks and buses.

In conclusion, while the usage of stoplights and roundabouts does impact the environment in different ways, several studies have found that roundabouts are more environmentally friendly than signalized intersections. As always, the environmental impact depends on unique conditions, and the primary goals of promoting safety and efficiency should be balanced with environmental concerns when making decisions regarding transportation infrastructure policy.
    @Dee Please stop saying your are right after multiple studies on the internet that I've read have said that you aren't because you clearly aren't right.
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @theinfectedmaster

Please stop saying your are right after multiple studies on the internet that I've read have said that you aren't because you clearly aren't right.

But I am right , please stop saying I'm not. Multiple studies by who? Clearly I am right .

• Abolish: : to officially end or stop (something, such as a law) : to completely do away with (something)
    Abolish Definition & Meaning | Britannica Dictionary

The idea of abolish is linked to the pratcie of law in united states consitutional preservation as law is a subject of pratice, as is also the writing of law. What has been proven by a state of the union made by the court and legilsators is that stopping at a red light has alredy been abolished. Many States of law inside the united state of trafic vioations aready reconise a right on red abolishment of remaining at a full stop at a red light. Due to the fact that law does not have a United States Conmsitutinal Right to the freedom of speach or the freedom of Press to hold as a united state when in practice by legilsation of law the body of law does not have a 1st Amendment protection meaning counsil depends on other forms of constitutional protection as a united state of law. The possiblilaty that legal council may also seek its own forms of common defesne as well, practicing law does not make all forms of common defense legal automatically.

Do you have a better alternative that we might compare to a stop light in a more perfect way as a state of the union with established justice and common defense to a general welfare of people, not one practice of people.

• @Luigi7255 Research has proven that roundabouts are safer than stoplights. https://www.iihs.org/topics/roundabouts#:~:text=Overview,-on collisions — are unlikely.
  • @Luigi7255 So yeah, don't say they're is something mentally wrong with me when I know what I'm talking about. 
  • DreamerDreamer 272 Pts   -  
    Argument Topic: Stoplights save lives.

Speed bumps work even better. With all the pandemic racing my are has seen a drastic increase in speed bumps. This works even if annoying and I damage my car from time to time even when I am going only 10 miles per hour or less.

I know we believe in freedom. We want to give absolute freedom on some level and for it all to workout. That Trump supporters use platitudes like inside every liberal is a totalitarian screaming to get out or that all liberals hate freedom and therefore deserve none.

Big Tobacco uses Nazi rhetoric. Anti-vaxxers appeal to freedom. Yet, too much of the wrong kind of freedom leads to unnecessary deaths. Freedom is not the only value and absolute freedom is unfeasible.

• @Dreamer I don't stoplights always save lights because I remember when I was 9 years old when I got rear ended while being stopped at a stoplight by a person who was texting.
    Dreamer
  • @Dee An article here says that stoplights are actually less safe than roundabouts. https://www.iihs.org/topics/roundabouts#:~:text=Overview,-on collisions — are unlikely.
  • DreamerDreamer 272 Pts   -  
    Argument Topic: Roundsabouts are safer than traffic lights. Texting while driving is dangerous.

"Proponents say roundabouts can dramatically reduce crashes, injuries and deaths, can improve traffic and even save a city a fair bit of money. ." Robert Ferris

"Distracted driving is dangerous, claiming 3,522 lives in 2021."

"Texting is the most alarming distraction."

In other words I agree with you. Sorry about the crash, I hope you were okay and the insurance covered any damage to your car.

• @Dreamer The person who hit us didn't even have car insurance.
    Dreamer
  • Of course, @galvanise got banned from debating on here.
    @theinfectedmaster I think that stop lights should be abolished because when you analize it what do people do when they stop at the lights.
    They text and they pick there noses and they have fights with there misses and they think about all sorts of negative things and things there got to do. So in my books thats totally distracting and can cause accidents. But on a round a bout you dont have time or a spear hand to flick boogers a round the car so that you are totally focused on the road and driving.
    theinfectedmaster
    @theinfectedmaster ;@Dee No Dee you are actually wrong about that, and research has proven that you actually use less gas at a roundabout then at light a light. Roundabouts actually help to save gas. Stoplights actually cause people to through more carbon emissions into the air.

Actually when you analize it it is so little gas that you save its not worth even mentioning and if a meet head like Dee really wants to get nit pickier about it then what about hybrid cars that charge them selves from the inertia from the breaks when they have to stop at the lights. Im all for round a bouts any way because then you dont have time to pick your nose waiting for the lights to change which I think is real gross any way.

theinfectedmaster