frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Should stoplights be replaced with stop signs?

Debate Information

I was wondering what anyone thinks about this.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• JulesKorngoldJulesKorngold 810 Pts   -  
    Argument Topic: Refer To It

See my extensive post in your other debate.
    https://www.debateisland.com/discussion/comment/163510/#Comment_163510
  • theinfectedmastertheinfectedmaster 145 Pts   -   edited April 2023
    Argument Topic: Yes we should.

Replacing stoplights with stop signs would help to reduce pollution since you're not stopped as long as you are at a stoplight, which is good for fighting climate change. It would also reduce the number of car accidents from drunk drivers and distracted drivers since you wouldn't be stopped as long. If you're driving at night, we could just put lights around the stoplight, have the stoplight be light up, have it be glow in the dark, or we could we a stoplight out of LED bulbs.
    Argument Topic: Highways?

@theinfectedmaster
    Would you have stop signs on an 8-lane expressway with a 65 mph speed limit?
  • theinfectedmastertheinfectedmaster 145 Pts   -  
    @JulesKorngold I think it could work.
    @JulesKorngold I've seen stoplights on 2 lane roads before.
    @JulesKorngold People could just easily slow down on those roads though
    Argument Topic: Seriously?

You expect cars doing 65 to stop for a stop sign?  Traffic lights turn yellow to warn drivers to stop.  Stop signs have no warning. 

@JulesKorngold I ride on my breaks when I see a stop sign, which means I slow down and come to a stop when I see them
    @JulesKorngold We could invent cars to detect stop signs and tell us to slow when we need to.
    @JulesKorngold I ride on my breaks when I see a stop sign, which means I slow down and come to a stop when I see them
    When you're doing 65 on a curve and can't see the stop sign,?
    @JulesKorngold That cars could have stop signs sensors or it could have a GPS screen that can detect a stop sign ahead and tell you to slow down and stop and we could possibly invent cars that do auto slow downs and auto stops, too.
    @JulesKorngold There are stoplights that light up.
    Argument Topic: Hmmm

@theinfectedmaster
    Wouldn't a stop sign with lights be a simplified traffic light?  
    @JulesKorngold No because it's still a red sign just with lights on it.