frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

When Should We Change Our Mind?

Debate Information

There are several reasons why you should change your mind:

• You have learned new information that contradicts your previous beliefs.
  • You have had a personal experience that has changed your perspective.
  • You have been presented with a logical argument that you cannot refute.
  • You have realized that your previous beliefs were based on faulty assumptions.

Dreamer

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• JulesKorngoldJulesKorngold 828 Pts   -  
    Argument Topic: How To Do It

Changing your mind can be a difficult process, but it is important to be open to the possibility if you want to learn and grow

1. Be open to new information. When you are presented with new information, be willing to consider it and see if it changes your mind. This means being willing to read articles, books, and websites that challenge your beliefs. It also means talking to people who have different opinions than you.
    2. Be willing to admit when you are wrong. It can be difficult to admit when you are wrong, but it is important to do so if you want to learn and grow. This means being willing to say "I was wrong" when you are presented with new information that contradicts your beliefs.
    3. Be respectful of other people's opinions. Even if you disagree with someone, it is important to be respectful of their opinion. This means listening to what they have to say and not interrupting them. It also means not dismissing their opinion out of hand.
    4. Be patient. Changing your mind can take time. Don't expect to change your mind overnight. It may take weeks, months, or even years to fully change your mind about something.

By following these tips, you can make the process of changing your mind easier and more productive.

Here are some additional tips:

• Consider the source of the information. Is it from a credible source? Is it based on evidence?
    • Think about your own biases. Are you more likely to believe information that confirms your existing beliefs?
    • Talk to people who have different beliefs. This can help you to understand their perspective and see things from a different angle.
    • Be willing to compromise. You may not agree with someone 100%, but you may be able to find common ground.

Dreamer
  • DreamerDreamer 272 Pts   -  
    Argument Topic: I agree in theory, but I've debated a lot of conspiracy theorists and being too open minded is bad.

While I agree, I fear the wrong people will listen to you. Those that really need to listen will ignore you and think this only applies to others. Being too open to new information is a good way to fall down a rabbit hole.
  • BarnardotBarnardot 533 Pts   -  
    @JulesKorngold Well I reckon you should never change your mind because that is for sissy boys. If you made your mind up in the first place then no matter what you could be wrong or you could be right. And if your a sissy boy and change your mind you could be still right or wrong any way so why change your mind in stead of being a man and go with what you decide and dont become a nancy sissy boy and even then a sissy boy is going to change his mind even again after he changed his mind.
    Remember what Omer Kiam said when he said that the moving hand writes and having rights it moves on.