frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Should Anonymity Be Allowed On The Internet

Debate Information

I think that there are many, many dangers from having anonymous posters on the Internet. Among the least of them is that there are many posters from other countries that post on US politics. In the last Presidential election perhaps as many as HALF of all posters were not Americans but were posting from a phone bank in India. In other cases we have the crazy people who are willing to tell us things like Las Vegas shooting never occurred or the earth is flat.

So I subscribe to the idea that EVERY posting anywhere on the Internet be accompanied by the real name of the poster and his true address. Do you want to post on American politics? That's fine but if you are identified as North Korean we know what sort of biases you have.

If you want to post that the Earth is flat your employer should be able to see that and assign your job duties in accordance to your intellectual achievements. If you are identified and continue to turn up on every single conspiracy debate everyone should be able to see who it is and soon know what their ideas and opinions are worth.
SilverishGoldNovaFascism
  1. Live Poll

Do You Think That Everyone On The Internet Should Be Positively Identified?

5 votes
    1. No
      100.00%
    2. Yes
        0.00%
About Persuade Me

Persuaded Arguments

• CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -  
    There are pros and cons to the concept, I'm just not sure it's possible.  How it was implemented, if it was even feasible, would be an important consideration.
  • islander507islander507 194 Pts   -  
    Facebook has implemented something similar, but not foolproof

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
22%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• ErfisflatErfisflat 1675 Pts   -  
    In all seriousness, anonymity should be allowed, if solely to protect people from stalker and cyber bullies. Imagine if someone's  granddaughter posted on an internet site, and decided to put a picture of herself as her avatar? Are you openly agreeing that she should be allowed to be stalked and raped? 
    Pseudoscience: noun; a collection of beliefs or practices mistakenly regarded as being based on scientific method.

Scientific method: noun; a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about.

Wayne Dyer
  • WakeWake 124 Pts   -   edited October 2017
    @Erfisflat - Do you mean as opposed to how difficult it is to stand outside of a grade school and kidnap children in broad daylight?

Children taken by strangers or slight acquaintances represent only one-hundredth of 1 percent of all missing children.

You see, not everyone has the twisted sort of mind that you have. All you are doing is trying to protect your own identity by misleading the conversation.
  • SilverishGoldNovaSilverishGoldNova 1201 Pts   -   edited October 2017
    I dont think people should be required to use their real names
    I am no longer active on DebateIsland or any debate website. Many things I have posted here and on other sites (Such as believing in the flat Earth theory or other conspiracy theories such as those that are about the Las Vegas Shooting or 9/11) do not reflect on my current views. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1p6M-VgXHwwdpJarhyQYapBz-kRc6FrgdOLFAd3IfYz8/edit

https://debateisland.com/discussion/comment/18248/#Comment_18248 (Me officially stating that I am no longer a flat-Earther)
    How could such a idea ever be implemented?  How could the US force the rest of the world to comply?  How could the accuracy of the identities be proven and maintained?
    ErfisflatSilverishGoldNova
    There are pros and cons of anonymity. Overall though I think that anonymous postings should be allowable.  Otherwise reddit wouldnt exist either.
    And btw, there is no such a thing as perfect anonymity. In case of a serious issues, information can likely still be obtained by telecom companies and government under special circumstances.  
    Wake said:
    @Erfisflat - Do you mean as opposed to how difficult it is to stand outside of a grade school and kidnap children in broad daylight?

Children taken by strangers or slight acquaintances represent only one-hundredth of 1 percent of all missing children.

You see, not everyone has the twisted sort of mind that you have. All you are doing is trying to protect your own identity by misleading the conversation.
    I for one know how how hard it is to obtain someone lenses child from a school or daycare. But by all means, make it easier for them by putting their identity online. Especially with people like you on the internet. What are you? Pushing 90?
    SilverishGoldNova
    Pseudoscience: noun; a collection of beliefs or practices mistakenly regarded as being based on scientific method.

Scientific method: noun; a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about.

Wayne Dyer
    It's unanimous so far, I guess @wake is the only psycho on debateisland that want a totalitarian style internet and does not respect other people's privacy.
    SilverishGoldNovaEvidence

Wayne Dyer
    "Many many dangers from people having a different opinion than I do"

Wayne Dyer
  • WakeWake 124 Pts   -  
    @CYDdharta - actually it's pretty easy. You cannot get on the internet without an account since these are not free you have to pay for them via credit accounts.
  • WakeWake 124 Pts   -  
    @islander507 - do you think that you should be bombarded by fake news in a format that you cannot check?
  • WakeWake 124 Pts   -  
    @Erfisflat - So to you it is totalitarian to be recognized for who you are? You must also belong to the KKK and hide beneath a white hood.
    Wake said:
    @CYDdharta - actually it's pretty easy. You cannot get on the internet without an account since these are not free you have to pay for them via credit accounts.
    Actually, you can. WiFi hot spots are open all over america. McDonald's,  walmart, etc etc.

Wayne Dyer
    Wake said:
    @Erfisflat - So to you it is totalitarian to be recognized for who you are? You must also belong to the KKK and hide beneath a white hood.
    so now I "must be" in the KKK because i don't want psychos like you to know where I live? What an asinine statement.
    SilverishGoldNova

Wayne Dyer
  • WakeWake 124 Pts   -  
    @islander507 - Indeed - Facebook is beginning to feel the heat of the leftist lies that have used Facebook as a means of distribution. Have you noticed the so-called "polls" that show overwhelmingly that we all want strict gun control laws? And yet man-on-the-street polls show an overwhelming opposite view. Do you want YOUR government run by whoever is paying for a phone bank of posters in India? In the mid-terms it appears that Trump will win another 37 Republican seats in the House and we are being told that Trump is going to be impeached.

At what point does the Internet remain able to distribute absolutely fake news financed by one or two very rich people?
    agsr
    Wake said:
    True, as far as that goes, but you can still get on the internet using a burner smartphone and you can still set up an account using false information.  How would you force other governments to comply?
    In some cases, accusing someone of being in the Kkk, of being child molesters, hoping someone ends up in prison, or being the next Las Vegas shooter, or insinuating that you will "show them some blood" if they share their address for having a different opinion than the OP is totally acceptable behavior. By all means, @wake lead by example. What is your full name and address so that we may identify you for... reasons.

Wayne Dyer
  • SilverishGoldNovaSilverishGoldNova 1201 Pts   -   edited October 2017
    Wake said:

Ah. 2 new ones. First we were the Paris and Las Vegas "shooters", then we were child molesters, then we deserved to be killed by cops, then we deserved to get raped in prison, now were totalitarian racists? All because we have a different opinion than you.

@Erfisflat He's insane, he really needs help. He not only believes all of this but he will also change his position completely if either Me, You or Evidence have it too.  
    Evidence
    I am no longer active on DebateIsland or any debate website. Many things I have posted here and on other sites (Such as believing in the flat Earth theory or other conspiracy theories such as those that are about the Las Vegas Shooting or 9/11) do not reflect on my current views. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1p6M-VgXHwwdpJarhyQYapBz-kRc6FrgdOLFAd3IfYz8/edit

https://debateisland.com/discussion/comment/18248/#Comment_18248 (Me officially stating that I am no longer a flat-Earther)
    Wake said:

Ah. 2 new ones. First we were the Paris and Las Vegas "shooters", then we were child molesters, then we deserved to be killed by cops, then we deserved to get raped in prison, now were totalitarian racists? All because we have a different opinion than you.

@Erfisflat He's insane, he really needs help. He not only believes all of this but he will also change his position completely if either Me, You or Evidence have it too.  
    I think he's one of those that joined a debate site to get his frustrations out. He probably doesn't know or care what a logical fallacy is. 

Wayne Dyer
    @Wake, you are basing your entire argument on a conflict with two specific people who are flat earthers.  They are not moderator of this site, but just one specific category where I think you got into some confrontations with them.  
    I personally believe in their right to defend their opinion however you and I dont agree with it.  I believe that the earth is round, but will not engage in an indepth debate about that topic.  I also think that site administrator addressed that particular conflict between you guys.  

Saying that anonymous postings are not allowable is a hugh violation of freedom of speech and wouldn't want the government to have that much control.  You are right though that younger generation is too easily influenced by what they read online and fake news is a hugh problem.  I also agree with you that some back and forth ad hominem attacks on both sides at this point would tone down.

SilverishGoldNova
    150 national constitutions mention the right to privacy,

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_to_privacy#cite_note-3

and because I know the earth is flat, and point out this obvious fact, this guy thinks we should reverse hundreds years of progress and let anyone and everyone monitor anything and everything that anyone and everyone does.

Wayne Dyer
This Debate has been closed.

DebateIsland.com

| The Best Online Debate Experience!
© 2023 DebateIsland.com, all rights reserved. DebateIsland.com | The Best Online Debate Experience! Debate topics you care about in a friendly and fun way. Come try us out now. We are totally free!

Contact us

customerservice@debateisland.com
Terms of Service

Get In Touch