frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

is it permissible to torture terrorist suspects for information ?

Debate Information

Let's see which part will be able to win this debate !
joecavalry

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• MissDMeanorMissDMeanor 100 Pts   -  
    It depends on who we are torturing, and what method we are using. I am against most forms of torture, but I am for waterboarding, which I don't believe is really torture. the point is that torture, at least waterboarding, works. Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, the man behind the 9/11 attacks only broke thanks to waterboarding.  Clandestine Service, has claimed that terrorist mastermind Abu Zubaydah also gave up key intelligence after being waterboarded. I need elaboration on the terms torture and terrorist before I come to a conclusion, this is pretty case specific. Do I think an ANTIFA member should be starved, no. Do I think a proven ISIS member should be waterboarded, yes.
    Erfisflat
  • ashoupashoup 12 Pts   -  
    This argument is entirely based on the information that is gained from the torture session.

I make the argument that if information is gained in which saves a multitude of lives, it is then justified. If one persons rights are taken but in reciprocation, information is gained which provides the saving of lives, the act is justified. For the right to life would be taken from one or more people. This persons autonomy would be restricted but if not, information preventing the violation of rights would be found.
  • CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -  
    ashoup said:
    This argument is entirely based on the information that is gained from the torture session.

I make the argument that if information is gained in which saves a multitude of lives, it is then justified. If one persons rights are taken but in reciprocation, information is gained which provides the saving of lives, the act is justified. For the right to life would be taken from one or more people. This persons autonomy would be restricted but if not, information preventing the violation of rights would be found.
    Does that mean you believe it is unjustified in a case where a person has information that can save many lives, but refuses to divulge it?
  • joecavalryjoecavalry 430 Pts   -  
    I believe that this should not be allowed due to the inhumane treatment.
    DebateIslander and a DebateIsland.com lover. 
  • ChangeMyViewChangeMyView 61 Pts   -  
    @CYDdharta, my concern is that we lose our humanity if we allow this.  That means that innocent people will get tortured at unjustified authority.  What if someone wrongly accused? Who makes the decision that there is enough suspicion to torture them.  That can become a totalitarian state like North korea.
    Erfisflat
  • CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -  
    @ChangeMyView Would we retain our humanity if we allowed innocent people to be killed because even though we had the opportunity to obtain the information that was needed to stop an attack, we wouldn't do what was necessary to get that information?  It's all a matter of perspective and degree.  What is torture?  Is waterboarding torture?  How about playing loud music?  If so, what constitutes "loud"?  What about sleep deprivation, and what constitutes that?  Is locking someone away in isolation torture?  I don't believe this is a black-and-white question.  To me, urgency and the stakes involved play a role what should be allowed.
  • ChangeMyViewChangeMyView 61 Pts   -  
    @CYDdharta, i agree that there are many gray lines that we need to define.  Mediaval torture is a torture. Waterboarding is torture (i know that's debateable), loud music probably not.
    how much suspicion is required to torture someone?
  • ErfisflatErfisflat 1675 Pts   -   edited October 2017
    Bug
    Pseudoscience: noun; a collection of beliefs or practices mistakenly regarded as being based on scientific method.

Scientific method: noun; a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about.

Wayne Dyer
  • ErfisflatErfisflat 1675 Pts   -   edited October 2017
    Yes, anyone would confess to literally anything to stop torture, even 9/11. This is a horrible way to obtain information.
    Pseudoscience: noun; a collection of beliefs or practices mistakenly regarded as being based on scientific method.

Scientific method: noun; a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about.

Wayne Dyer
  • ErfisflatErfisflat 1675 Pts   -  
    Just to clarify, should American terrorists... I mean soldiers be tortured for information?

Wayne Dyer