frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Genetic engineering is necessary.

Debate Information

Ok
joecavalry
  1. Live Poll

Is Genetic engineering necessary.

5 votes
    1. Yep
      60.00%
    2. No
      40.00%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
33%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• HankHank 75 Pts   -  
    Necessary in what respect though? 

I don't have a problem with genetic engineering, I just don't see the point you're trying to make.
  • PowerPikachu21PowerPikachu21 213 Pts   -  
    What's genetic engineering? I'm not sure it would be needed, but I imagine it would at least be beneficial.
  • NopeNope 397 Pts   -  
    The acceleration in change of the world we live in is caused by humans. Evolution won't keep up. we need to use genetic engineering to adept to are changing world. I am bad at spelling : )
    Erfisflat
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    @Nope, beneficial yes, but may bring many adverse effects.  There are Hugh ethical issues that come with that.
    I think you should have burden of prove if you believe it’s necessary.  That argument is a bit weak.
    Erfisflat
    Live Long and Prosper
  • NopeNope 397 Pts   -  
    Genetic engineering is the processes of changing genes to modify characteristic of a living thing. The goal is not to genetic engineering everyone. Just people who want it. Now my problem is the issue we face are different from that of before. Take global warming as an example. It is an issue that we are not doing a very good job at preventing. It is hard to prevent it because are minds are bad at dealing with long term issues and humans function in a way that allows large corporations to get in the way. The way are mind correctly functions cant deal with the problems we face very well. Their is also the thing of food but that is helpful but not necessary. If a portion of the populations who are ok with genetic engineering themselves diced to help change themselves a little. That part of the population can better adept to the changing world and help as us survive as a species. It does not take every one to make a change. I hope my logic makes sense. : )
    agsrFascism
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    @Nope, i also concur that once a portion of population starts with genetic engineering then the rest will need to follow or will be left behind.  If that's your argument then I agree.  

The big concern of course is that once we get on that bandwagon, it will be a roller coaster that will completly change us eventually as species and subspecies.
    Live Long and Prosper
  • NopeNope 397 Pts   -  
    My biggest problem is genetic engineering would be don by companion most likely and we all know the problems their. Companies don't always do things for the benefit of the world (Global warming). They probably would have you change you skin and eyes and hair. Genetic engineering don right is necessary. But it probably wont be done right soon.
  • ErfisflatErfisflat 1675 Pts   -  
    GMOs are created  in a lab, by inserting a gene from one organism into another unrelated organism, producing plants and animals that would never occur in nature. No long-term safety studies have been done on humans, but animal studies link the consumption of GMOs to an increase in allergies, kidney and liver disease, ADHD, cancer, infertility, chronic immune disorders and more.
    Pseudoscience: noun; a collection of beliefs or practices mistakenly regarded as being based on scientific method.

Scientific method: noun; a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about.

Wayne Dyer
  • ErfisflatErfisflat 1675 Pts   -  
    Gmos are in pretty much everything we eat. A few brands have come forth with non-Gmo products, but the products are more expensive. Our current agricultural uses taxpayer money to subsidize the planting of gMO corn while organic farmers are forced to pay more for "certification".
    Pseudoscience: noun; a collection of beliefs or practices mistakenly regarded as being based on scientific method.

Scientific method: noun; a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about.

Wayne Dyer
  • FascismFascism 344 Pts   -  
    GMO's might be useful in the future, but we don't know much about it as of now. There might be long-term affects and we need to properly research it before doing too much with it. 
    agsrjoecavalry
  • joecavalryjoecavalry 430 Pts   -  
    GMOs are not good and should stop being used.
    DebateIslander and a DebateIsland.com lover. 
  • NopeNope 397 Pts   -  
    joecavalry Why are they bad?