frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Would World be better off not having religion?

Debate Information

Religion unites communities together and at the same time it is a cause for wars and Crusades.  With advances of technology the role of Religion is changing.  
  1. Live Poll

Would World be better off not having religion?

14 votes
    1. Yes
      35.71%
    2. No
      64.29%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• Many religions are unique,mand unfortunately in World history we experienced much hardship due to crusades and other wars motivated by religion.  Looking forward, religion can continue to be an important cornerstone to mitigate aspects of social-media infested societies,where people can have a common cause and a sense of real community and human interactions.  Religion continues to play an important role in self-actualization.
  • No, this would not make the world better in any way except possibly reducing some tensio. After all, after the effect wears off there may be war again, worse than before due to some changed alliances and more. Also, religion is amazing. Humans need to have some form of diversity between them and that is religion.
  • averyaproaveryapro 150 Pts   -  
     I really don't know that the world would be better completely free of religion but I do think that a lot of things would be solved without religion because a lot, of bad things, have happened because of religion. Think of all of the Muslims. They haven't been judged 5 years ago but now that people are still Muslim but guess what? Without all of the Abrahamic Religions ever being made and Muslim no one would be judged and there wouldn't be as much chaos with religions. I think it would just be better without religion. But the reason that I think that religion should still exist is that because people should have diversity and people should believe in different things and not everything should be the same. 
  • DebateIslandRocksDebateIslandRocks 14 Pts   -  
    @averyapro, it is true that religion often serves as a dividing line and a cause of many conflicts. At the same time it brings people and communities together.  Let's say we wouldn't have religions with strong ideologies, would dividing lines be formed around different ideologies? If you see what happens in North Korea, they believe in communism and their supreme leadership. 
    It was similar in Soviet Union during Cold War.  
    As you pointed out there is a mix view on this and overall it should still exist. I agree with you.

• AthiestHAthiestH 2 Pts   -  
    On one hand, less wars, but also religion has helped people get through hard times.
    But also that means more discrimination and the holocaust so i said yes.

• agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    @AthiestH, while religion was a cause of wars, so was race, and other believes.  I don't think that religion should be attributed to all the issues.  For example, the Holocaust was not based on religion, but based on political party and racial discrimination.
    Live Long and Prosper
  • melanielustmelanielust 285 Pts   -  
    Every religion when strictly interpreted has horrible destructive elements. But think about where we would be without it. Think about all the art, architecture , and brilliant literature and music that we wouldn't have anymore. It would be a real tragedy.
  • Fr3akFr3ak 31 Pts   -  
    Religion gives people an excuse to wage war and kill people. It is the cause of most the worlds terrorism, and most of our wars from things like crusades. Millions of people have been killed because they didn't agree on the same fantasy. It's like starting a war over which is better, Star Trek or Star Wars. It only causes harm and suffering, and religion is not needed to comfort people, bring them together or bring joy. That can be done by simply being good people, and not an arsehole. You don't need to believe in a magical sky daddy to help an old lady cross a road, or give some money to charity or just do something nice every now and then. All it takes is for you to get off your arse and possibly inconvenience yourself for a fraction of your precious time to help some other people, and you don't need to believe in any deity to do that. 
  • RodinonRodinon 67 Pts   -  
    inc4t said:
    Religion unites communities together and at the same time it is a cause for wars and Crusades.  With advances of technology the role of Religion is changing.  
    How is the ROLE of religion changing with technology?  Technology is just a set of physical tools we use to accomplish what we want.  Religion deals with deeper questions like "why am I here" or "what is good and evil" that we can never answer with a telescope and a cell phone.
  • SylynnSylynn 71 Pts   -  
    Rodinon said:
    inc4t said:
    How is the ROLE of religion changing with technology?  Technology is just a set of physical tools we use to accomplish what we want.  Religion deals with deeper questions like "why am I here" or "what is good and evil" that we can never answer with a telescope and a cell phone.
    I agree technology in of itself is not causing religion to change, but what we are learning about our world and our universe with that technology is indeed changing religion.