frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Trump Compared to Peter the Great of Russian history

Debate Information

In Russian history, Peter the Great was ruthless but made great progress in modernizing backward Russia. He was hands on, ruthless, extremely politically incorrect, and willing to put his country interests first at expense of other countries. Mr Trump hundreds years later and in a different part of the world seems to have reincarnated into a similar profile. Obvioulsly a different current state situation with different dynamics, but can we find parallel in history between Peter the Great in backward Russia hundreds years ago and Donald Trump of present day United States of America? Ultimately Peter the Great shaped the future of that country in a positive drastic way.
DebateIsland
Trump Compared to Peter the Great of Russian history
  1. Live Poll

Is Donald Trump similar to Peter the Great?

65 votes
    1. Yes
      81.54%
    2. No
      18.46%
Live Long and Prosper

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• kndyak19kndyak19 17 Pts   -  
    That's a great comparison!
  • Yes, I believe that he is simialar to peter the great, at least in some ways.
  • andykaka18andykaka18 2 Pts   -  
    He is very simialar, although they are different conditions as well as different time periods.
  • No, I believe that he was not simialar. Trump comes form a different background and is extreme with some topics such as immigration and border control etc. also, Donal Trump is fundamentally a business man not a politician, at least not in some ways.
  • I disagree with zekdk_thepersp1, Trump may have different beliefs and a different background, but he has some what of the same goal for America.
  • ksn1@39299ksn1@39299 2 Pts   -  
    Wow, great comparison, I think that he does have some what of the same goal as the person before me debated.
  • furenaj_aoeo1furenaj_aoeo1 12 Pts   -  
    Wow. Yes, and great debate, agsr! I think that he may share or reach to certain goals, as well.
  • kasmiykamms1kasmiykamms1 12 Pts   -  
    Yes.
  • akksjskakk1akksjskakk1 12 Pts   -  
    No, put in is more "daring" in some ways.
  • He is not, he may not even be comparable.
  • aperosnalsk1aperosnalsk1 2 Pts   -  
    Yes, he is comparable to him.
  • Yes, I think so.
  • akoidebaterakoidebater 12 Pts   -  
    He is not like him, Donald Trump is a candidate coming for a business background. Peter the great was a different figure especially to the Russian people, Donald Trump is very controversial generally and has some interesting views and stand points.
  • koshinasimtllkoshinasimtll 12 Pts   -  
    He is simialra in general and some certain ways is a possibltity.
  • abigailg2008abigailg2008 49 Pts   -  
    Yes, i think that Donald Trump is like him in some ways, but he many not be.
  • I believe that he is like him in ways. He shares some simialarities and they both want to or wanted to make their countries better, at lesser in some ways.
  • He is simialar, in certain ways. Also, great debate! I will try to spread this on social media!
  • He is simialar in ways.
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    Peter the great inherited a country with political structure full of corruption. The power was held by "boyars" who basically prevented any real decision making. They all also customary had long beards which gave Russia a perception of backward culture unlike European countries of that time. Peter imposed a tax on boyars who wanted to keep their beards, and in some cases he made examples of them and personally cut them off. His objective was to change perception how everyone thought of the country, he didnot necessarly do that just because.. Reminds me of politically-incorrect Trump who arguably is trying to change perception of America for all Americans and outside world.
    Live Long and Prosper
  • awesokwkks19awesokwkks19 4 Pts   -  
    I disagree, with all of your debates! Donald's trump is not nearly as great as Peter the GREAT. When Trump is called Trump The Great, that would be a different stand point. He can attempt to make America great again, but it is already great, especially with him at the helm. He is attempting to deport illegal immigrants, build a wall, which the Us was previously against. Ronald Reagan, even gave a speech on taking down a wall in a different part of the world, although now Donald teumo and tepublicans want to build one and possibly more. Trump has many compliments And the opposite, but he is not like peter the great, who was truly great and wanted to make county amazing.
  • Awesokwkks19, you are wrong, trump does want to make America great again and amazing. Peter the great wanted to do that will Russia and better. Deporting illegal immigrants who came to this country illegally, and are downgrading it to a horrible level is wrong, that should not be tolerated and according to Doandl teump it won't! Also, great content, I will try to publicize this as will another user.
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    Awesokwkks19, thank you for your point of view. I dont think that this debate is who is better, Trump or Peter the Great. The debate is regarding similarities of the two key political figures of their time. I didnot see an option in the poll if we should call Trump as Trump the Great. :smile:
    Peter the Great clearly did many things that also divided opinions of people of that country at the time, like going to war and demolishing existing power structure.
    Live Long and Prosper
  • I also, agree with agsr. Also, I had a chance to look at agsr's profile and it has a wide range of great debates as well. He is also, one of the earliest users to as well as a key one. You should check out his debates.
  • Donald Trump is simialar to peter the great in certain ways.
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -   edited January 2017
    Thank you prorepublican19929 for your support. It is interesting to draw similarities as we study world history, and this one is a good example.
    Live Long and Prosper
  • That's great agsr, I agree with your debate, trump is like peter the great.
  • Donald Trump is not simialar to Peter the Great.
  • Donald trump is simialar to Peter the great.
  • hojllan8282hojllan8282 2 Pts   -  
    Yes.
  • ausuejd19ausuejd19 2 Pts   -  
    Donald Trump wants to make America great again like peter the great wanted to make his country great again.
  • I believe that he is, in some ways.
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    Looks like over 80% agree that there are sufficient similarities. It will be interesting to keep watching this trend as Trump presidency matures
    Live Long and Prosper
  • Yes.
  • Yes, I agree with agsr, and that's really an amazing debate idea. Good job!
  • Yes, in certain ways.
  • kayrkak_1989kayrkak_1989 2 Pts   -  
    Yes, he does show some what simialar traits etc.
  • asenjela_1992asenjela_1992 12 Pts   -  
    Yes, he is simialar.
  • kajsjaj_18kajsjaj_18 12 Pts   -  
    No, he is not simialar and they share some different views as well as general beliefs and in politics especially with views and beliefs.
  • kusjen_2989kusjen_2989 2 Pts   -  
    Yes, in some ways.
  • oakdj_1929oakdj_1929 2 Pts   -  
    He is generally simialar.
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    I just had opportunity to review the link about Peter the Great at Wikipedia at https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_the_Great A few interesting facts for Trump similiarity:
    -he was the tallest
    -He realized that he cannot do it alone and seeked alignment with Europe (lets see who Trump aligns with)
    -His first marriage didnot work out
    -By two wives he had 14 children, not quite as many as Trump but given the trend of having more kids back then it is consistent.
    -Peter has many diverse hobbies, similar to Trump. Think about Apprentice and all other things Trump did in his career

Live Long and Prosper
  • Here's another link... http://www.biography.com/people/peter-the-great-9542228
    Peter the great is like Trump in some ways, but not like him in others.
    Simialar-
    They wanted to make their countries great again.
    Differences-
    Some different views between them.
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    Thank you everyone for participating in this debate. It generated great feedback. 85% agreed.
    Live Long and Prosper
  • Yes, he is simialar to Peter the great in some ways.
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    Maybe someone should create a debate comparing other political figures, finding interesting similarities for other historical figures.
    Live Long and Prosper
  • islander507islander507 194 Pts   -  
    Thats a good suggestion. How about Hillary and mother Teresa
  • kakos_1929kakos_1929 12 Pts   -  
    I believe that Trump and Peter The Great are alike in some ways and not alike in others.
  • He is simialar to him.
  • Yes, seems to be winning in the poll so I will say that as well. Although, they do have some different views.
  • aiiais_1929aiiais_1929 2 Pts   -  
    Donald Trump is simialar to Peter the Great in some ways.