frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

I don't believe people should wave around the Confederate Flag

Debate Information

I don't think people should wave the Confederate flag. I support their rights to do so, but I think it is disrespectful. Just because I want to respect German history and culture doesn't mean I get to wave around a Nazi Flag. In the same way, I don't think it is respectful to carry a Confederate flag. 
joecavalryjamesroths

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -  
    I don't think it's as disrespectful as waving the flag of a foreign nation, such as Mexico.
    FascismBaconToes
  • FascismFascism 344 Pts   -  
    @CYDdharta I will agree with you on that. 
    I've only ever seen one person holding a Confederate flag of some sort with my own eyes. Ironically, he was black. 
  • VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -  
    The last time I saw someone "Waving" the confederate flag was...never.  
    "If there's no such thing as a question then what kind of questions do people ask"?

"There's going to be a special place in Hell for people who spread lies through the veil of logical fallacies disguised as rational argument".

"Oh, you don't like my sarcasm?  Well I don't much appreciate your stup!d".

I think I saw it at Gettysburg once during a reenactment.
    penguin06FascismBaconToes
  • WilliamSchulzWilliamSchulz 255 Pts   -  
    CYDdharta said:
    I don't think it's as disrespectful as waving the flag of a foreign nation, such as Mexico.
    Hey! I just had a question for you regarding this. I don't mean that your opinion is incorrect, but when does what you are stating apply? Is it disrespectful for a person to be waving a Mexican flag at a Mexican fair in San Antonio (Texas)? If you could help me understand this, that would be appreciated!
    A good debate is not judged by bias, but in the context of the debate, where objectivity is key and rationale prevalent. 

• NightwingNightwing 54 Pts   -  
    If one is offended by a confederate battle flag being waved, would they be offended by an American revolutionary flag being waved?

@Nightwing The American Revolutionary flag doesn't represent anything that can cause hate. The Confederate on the other hand, represents slave states specifically. This can cause black people to feel offended. Similarly, if someone waves a Nazi flag in front of a Jew, the Jew can justifiably feel offended. 
    WilliamSchulz
  • joecavalryjoecavalry 430 Pts   -  
    I believe that they should not do that due to the discrimination.
    DebateIslander and a DebateIsland.com lover. 

Hey! I just had a question for you regarding this. I don't mean that your opinion is incorrect, but when does what you are stating apply? Is it disrespectful for a person to be waving a Mexican flag at a Mexican fair in San Antonio (Texas)? If you could help me understand this, that would be appreciated!
    You mean during the San Antonio Fiesta, celebrating the fallen heroes of the Alamo?  Yes, I would consider waving a Mexican flag at such an event disrespectful.
    Fascism
  • VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -   edited November 2017
    CYDdharta said:

You mean during the San Antonio Fiesta, celebrating the fallen heroes of the Alamo?  Yes, I would consider waving a Mexican flag at such an event disrespectful.
    wow...just wow. 

So yea, agreed, waving a Mexican Flag during the San Antonio Fiesta would be extremely disrespectful just as waving the Flag of the British Empire during an Independence Day Parade would be awful. 
    Fascism
    "If there's no such thing as a question then what kind of questions do people ask"?

"There's going to be a special place in Hell for people who spread lies through the veil of logical fallacies disguised as rational argument".

Vaulk said:
    CYDdharta said:

wow...just wow. 

So yea, agreed, waving a Mexican Flag during the San Antonio Fiesta would be extremely disrespectful just as waving the Flag of the British Empire during an Independence Day Parade would be awful. 
    But at least during the San Antonio Fiesta, although it does honor the heroes of the Alamo, it is a Mexican 10 day celebration in the city, so even if it is wrong elsewhere, at least it would be justified during the event.
    Fascism
    A good debate is not judged by bias, but in the context of the debate, where objectivity is key and rationale prevalent. 

But at least during the San Antonio Fiesta, although it does honor the heroes of the Alamo, it is a Mexican 10 day celebration in the city, so even if it is wrong elsewhere, at least it would be justified during the event.
    So the event has morphed into a celebration of both the brave defenders of the Alamo and of the foreign invaders that slaughtered them; it sounds like an illustration of the problems caused by wanting to wave around a foreign flag in the first place. 
    CYDdharta said:

So the event has morphed into a celebration of both the brave defenders of the Alamo and of the foreign invaders that slaughtered them; it sounds like an illustration of the problems caused by wanting to wave around a foreign flag in the first place. 
    At the same token, the Mexican American war was heavily sided toward the Americans, and although the event was a tragedy, as a nation, we have forgiven and assimilated Mexican immigrants into Texas. Heroes of the Alamo could also be courageous Mexicans, the event does not specify. After 150 years, I'm glad we have gotten over our differences on the M-A war to have a celebration, and waving a Mexican flag isn't going to disrespect the dead people, it is a show of patriotism and respect.

• CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -   edited November 2017

At the same token, the Mexican American war was heavily sided toward the Americans, and although the event was a tragedy, as a nation, we have forgiven and assimilated Mexican immigrants into Texas. Heroes of the Alamo could also be courageous Mexicans, the event does not specify. After 150 years, I'm glad we have gotten over our differences on the M-A war to have a celebration, and waving a Mexican flag isn't going to disrespect the dead people, it is a show of patriotism and respect.
    Would it be appropriate to wave an American flag to celebrate Gen Winfield Scott and the first American amphibious landing on the Gulf of Mexico coast and the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo on Cinco de Mayo? 

CYDdharta said:

Would it be appropriate to wave an American flag to celebrate Gen Winfield Scott and the first American amphibious landing on the Gulf of Mexico coast and the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo on Cinco de Mayo? 

This hypothetical scenario raises a lot of questions! For instance, if Americans are waving an American flag to celebrate the Treaty of Guadalupe Hildalgo, that would not be during Cinco de Mayo! How does an American flag represent this value specifically. Aren't American flags hung in America and waved in America even during the date? Okay, that was a joke, but in all seriousness, would an American be traveling down to Mexico specifically to do this? At least in the San Antonio Fiesta example, I used Mexican immigrants who were citizens!

I will answer your hypothetical statement so I don't sound like a jerk, so I would say it would be worse to wave a flag than in the San Antonio Fiesta simply because the Cinco de Mayo doesn't deal with Americans, it deals with Spain. It would be worse to wave a Spanish flag, but even then, it could be a tourist or a resident holding a party in which the flags are represented to depict independence from Mexico! In the Fiesta, the event deals directly between America and Mexico, so it would be justifyable to wave a flag considering the event celebrates Mexican culture and heratige as WELL as celebrating heroes of the Alamo. In this way, it is a celebration that takes both cultures and combines them into an event that embraces the two countries. 

You don't have to answer the questions if you don't want to, but I don't like hypothetical statements.

• VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -  
    Unless someone here can specifically point out how or why the Confederate Battle Flag is Racist in intent...then I'm afraid I fail to see it. 

1. The flag was modeled during the Civil War after Saint Andrews' Cross (X Shaped) and had 13 stars to represent the 13 Colonies.  
    2. The Battle Flag was NEVER an official flag of the confederacy.  It wasn't adopted by the Confederate States and wasn't even adopted as the official Confederate Army Battle Flag as the Confederate States couldn't ever agree on one flag.

Lastly, comparing the Confederate Flag in any way, shape or form to the Nazi Flag is just downright disrespectful to those who suffered the Holocaust.  Suggesting that an Army fighting for an already established institution of Slavery is somehow comparable to the systematic genocide of up to 6 million Jews in another Country across the world is spitting in the face of every survivor of the Holocaust by suggesting that their plight is comparable to that of Slaves in America.  Next we'll be calling the President a Nazi or Racist for enforcing already established immigration laws...oh wait.

https://theswamp.media/the-confederate-flag-hated-or-misunderstood

@Vaulk
    1. It was used by the slave-states. Since it was used by the Confederate States, it represents them, Just like how the American flag represents America, or the Mexican flag represents Mexico. It may be based of off other things, but it still represents the country which uses it. Also, the 13 stars don't represent the 13 colonies, they represent the 13 states of the Confederacy. Although the Confederacy only had 11 states, Missouri and Kentucky were included because the Confederacy thought that the states would soon join their side when the tides turned. Another flag was also used for a short while which represented all 15 southern states:
    Image result for 15 star confederate flag
    But when it was clear that not all the states were going to join that willingly, it was reduced to 13. 
    2. The Battle Flag was still a battle flag of the Confederacy. It was the most used battle flag by the Confederate generals. The states eventually did agree on some flags and they were mostly based on the battle flag:
    The second national flag of the Confederacy used from 1863 to 1865 was known as the quotStainless Bannerquot

So yes, the Confederate Flag did represent the Confederacy. 

"Lastly, comparing the Confederate Flag in any way, shape or form to the Nazi Flag is just downright disrespectful to those who suffered the Holocaust.  Suggesting that an Army fighting for an already established institution of Slavery is somehow comparable to the systematic genocide of up to 6 million Jews in another Country across the world is spitting in the face of every survivor of the Holocaust by suggesting that their plight is comparable to that of Slaves in America.  Next we'll be calling the President a Nazi or Racist for enforcing already established immigration laws...oh wait."

The Holocaust was much worse than the slavery, but the slavery was still bad. Just because slavery was less bad doesn't make the Confederate states good. If Jews can feel disrespected by the Nazi flag, blacks can feel disrespected by the Confederate flag, regardless of whether the Holocaust was worse or not. Just because someone else had it worse, doesn't mean an injustice has been done to the blacks. 

The Confederate States flags wanted to continue slavery, which is why they are still bad. They were losing power in the government, and slavery would gradually fade from legality. They knew this, and so in order to keep slavery going, they seceded and created the Confederacy. The whole point of the Confederacy was to keep slavery going. 

And the immigration laws are moral. Slavery isn't moral. The Confederacy was racist, and immoral. 
  • VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -  
    @Fascism

Alright, so if the Rebel Flag truly did represent the Confederate States:

1. When did the Confederacy adopt the Battle Flag?
    2. Who originally proposed the Flag as the Confederate Flag?
    3. Who voted on the adoption of the Battle Flag as the flag of the Confederacy?
    4. Which historical document can reflect the adoption of the flag?

If the Battle Flag was a Flag of the Confederacy then:

1. Where is the document approving this flag as a Battle Flag of the Confederacy?
    2. Where is the evidence or proof that this was the most used Battle Flag by Confederate Generals?

I'm not finding any evidence to support your conclusions.

Lastly, no one here is contesting that Slavery is bad.  I think slavery was wrong, immoral, pick a negative adjective and it just about fits.  That doesn't change the fact that referencing the Nazi Flag in an attempt to make a comparison to the Rebel Flag is wrong.

Oh and I meant 13 States, not colonies, mistype on my part.

@Vaulk

The stainless banner:
    1. 1863
    2. Many people contributed to the flag. General P. G. T. Beauregard was one of them. 
    3. The Confederate Congress
    4. Statutes at Large, First Congress, Session III, Chapter 88, and act made by the confederate congress and approved by the president. 

The Battle flag:
    1. I don't think there was any. I'm pretty sure it was just a cultural phenomenon among the southerners, which caused Congress to adopt its design into the national flag. 
    2. I can't find any free credible sources, but It was the inspiration for the stainless banner and the navy flag. 

"Lastly, no one here is contesting that Slavery is bad.  I think slavery was wrong, immoral, pick a negative adjective and it just about fits.  That doesn't change the fact that referencing the Nazi Flag in an attempt to make a comparison to the Rebel Flag is wrong."

In some cases yes, but in this case how so? 
  • BaconToesBaconToes 236 Pts   -  
    The Confederate flag doesn't necessarily mean slavery. It can mean the bravery of the Confederate army during the Civil War or the states wanting state freedom. They want their own choice to do whatever they wanted. The Revolutionary war with Great Britain started mostly because Great Britan limited the colonies right and taxed them. The 13 Confederate states did not want the government to control them. 
    i fart cows
  • PoguePogue 584 Pts   -  
    BaconToes said:
    The Confederate flag doesn't necessarily mean slavery.
    The Confederacy seceded because of hate and slavery. The Confederate flag is the symbol of this hate. Even if you see this has a symbol of the south or heritage, this heritage is hate. Even if you say it is about history, well, that particular history is inseparable from hate because it is about hate. It’s about racism, and it’s about slavery.
    I could either have the future pass me or l could create it. 

“We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain .” - Benjamin Franklin  So flat Earthers, man-made climate change deniers, and just science deniers.

I friended myself! 
  • ErfisflatErfisflat 1675 Pts   -  
    They weren't necessarily "slave states" after the civil war, some states in the north had slaves.

http://www.civildiscourse-historyblog.com/blog/2017/1/3/when-did-slavery-really-end-in-the-north

The civil war wasn't entirely about slaves. It was about state's rights.
    NopeBaconToes
    Pseudoscience: noun; a collection of beliefs or practices mistakenly regarded as being based on scientific method.

Scientific method: noun; a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about.

Wayne Dyer
  • BaconToesBaconToes 236 Pts   -   edited December 2017
    @Pogue The Confederate flag can have multiple meanings, just like any other symbolic objects. It doesn't have to be just hate, although you could see it that way.
    i fart cows
  • PoguePogue 584 Pts   -  
    Erfisflat said:
    They weren't necessarily "slave states" after the civil war, some states in the north had slaves.

http://www.civildiscourse-historyblog.com/blog/2017/1/3/when-did-slavery-really-end-in-the-north

If it was about state's rights the North should have seceded because of the infringement on their state rights not to have slaves. Also, that source only says when slavery ended in the north not the causes of the civil war. 
    https://www.npr.org/sections/itsallpolitics/2011/04/12/135353655/slavery-not-states-rights-was-civil-wars-cause ;

“We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain .” - Benjamin Franklin  So flat Earthers, man-made climate change deniers, and just science deniers.

I friended myself! 
    @Pogue It was because of states rights because of how they wanted to be able to keep slaves without the interference of the government. 
    i fart cows
  • PoguePogue 584 Pts   -  
    Slavery was mentioned in multiple states secession. Mississippi said, "Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery ..." The Confederate constitution said "No bill ... or law denying or impairing the right of property in ... slaves shall be passed."
    Also, in 1861 the Confederate vice president gave a speech that said: " ... the negro is not equal to the white man ..."

http://teachingamericanhistory.org/library/document/cornerstone-speech/
    http://avalon.law.yale.edu/19th_century/csa_csa.asp
    http://avalon.law.yale.edu/19th_century/csa_missec.asp
    FascismMedic

I friended myself! 
    Pogue said:
    Slavery was mentioned in multiple states secession. Mississippi said, "Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery ..." The Confederate constitution said "No bill ... or law denying or impairing the right of property in ... slaves shall be passed."
    Also, in 1861 the Confederate vice president gave a speech that said: " ... the negro is not equal to the white man ..."
    Like I said, the Civil War had many reasons, slavery and freedom of slaves included, although the main question is whether or not people should wave the Confederate flag. In my opinion, waving the Confederate flag should be allowed since it could mean the bravery of the Confederate soldiers and the freedom of the state. People have the freedom of speech and waving a flag should be among them

i fart cows
  • PoguePogue 584 Pts   -  
    BaconToes said:
    Pogue said:
    Like I said, the Civil War had many reasons, slavery and freedom of slaves included, although the main question is whether or not people should wave the Confederate flag. In my opinion, waving the Confederate flag should be allowed since it could mean the bravery of the Confederate soldiers and the freedom of the state. People have the freedom of speech and waving a flag should be among them

It obviously shouldn't be illegal. However, the flag does not mean the bravery of Confederate soldiers, it represents the Confederacy which represents hate and discrimination. You could be waving it to honor them, but that is not what the Confederate flag and country mean. It is very offensive and people SHOULD NOT do it.

I friended myself! 
    Pogue said:
    Erfisflat said:

If it was about state's rights the North should have seceded because of the infringement on their state rights not to have slaves. Also, that source only says when slavery ended in the north not the causes of the civil war. 
    https://www.npr.org/sections/itsallpolitics/2011/04/12/135353655/slavery-not-states-rights-was-civil-wars-cause ;
    The state's weren't being forced to have slaves, the idea is ridiculous. The article plainly states that quite a few northern states held slaves for years after the war. 

"For example, did you know that there were 451,021 slaves counted in the 1860 census in states and territories that would make up the Union during the Civil War? Twenty years earlier, in the 1840 census, there were 355,777 slaves counted and in 1850, 415,510. When you look at the census data, New England is the only region where slavery ends rather quickly. In other areas of the north and west, slavery continues until right up to the Civil War."

Pres. Abraham Lincoln was personally against slavery, but in his first inaugural, he made it clear that placating the Southern states was more important. Quoting himself in other speeches, he said, "I have no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the institution of slavery in the States where it exists. I believe I have no lawful right to do so, and I have no inclination to do so."
    Pseudoscience: noun; a collection of beliefs or practices mistakenly regarded as being based on scientific method.

Scientific method: noun; a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about.

Wayne Dyer
  • NopeNope 397 Pts   -  
    Pogue Their were slave states in the north to. The war was never originally about slavery. If that were the resewn why would their be slave states in the union? The union was fighting manly to preserve the union. The change towered freeing slaves as a main goal happens during the war. This means the confederate flag was founded originally not on keeping slaves. Yes they wanted to have slaves but the Union was not originally just trying to free the slaves. Many nations throughout history have had slaves. Slavery is not the core foundation of the confederate flag.
    The Confederacy does not mean hate and discrimination. At that time, there weren't "discrimination' since they all thought that Blacks were inferior to the White. They split up because they wanted to create their own choices. Just like how the colonies separated from Great Britan because they wanted to create their own laws.
    Pogue
    i fart cows
  • PoguePogue 584 Pts   -  
    BaconToes said:
    The Confederacy does not mean hate and discrimination. At that time, there weren't "discrimination' since they all thought that Blacks were inferior to the White. They split up because they wanted to create their own choices. Just like how the colonies separated from Great Britan because they wanted to create their own laws.
    It isn't about state rights. The south infringed on northern states rights not to have slaves many times. They also could create their own laws.
    https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/01/underground-railroad-states-rights-114536
    Read this

I friended myself! 
    Pogue said:
    BaconToes said:
    It isn't about state rights. The south infringed on northern states rights not to have slaves many times. They also could create their own laws.
    https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/01/underground-railroad-states-rights-114536
    Read this
    But guess who stop them from being able to own slaves?
    Yup! That's right, President Lincoln
    i fart cows
    The emancipation proclamation was directed at the rebellious states only. The northern states were allowed to keep their slaves, even after the war. 
    BaconToes

Wayne Dyer
    Erfisflat said:
    The emancipation proclamation was directed at the rebellious states only. The northern states were allowed to keep their slaves, even after the war. 
    That is true. It was written to keep control of the lands he could not control. It was written so that Abraham Lincoln would make it seem like slavery was the main cause of the war, while there were many others. Making slavery the main cause of the war would put the blame on the Confederacy.

http://www.ushistory.org/us/34a.asp
    https://www.archives.gov/exhibits/american_originals_iv/sections/nonjavatext_emancipation.html
    i fart cows
  • PoguePogue 584 Pts   -  
    @BaconToes
    What do you mean, how was it about state rights. The state's secession was about slavery and racism. Also, "Making slavery the main cause of the war would put the blame on the Confederacy." Yes, because it was their fault. Finally, there were many compromises on slavery. 

I friended myself! 
  • NopeNope 397 Pts   -  
    Pogue Making a thing the main cause of the war during a war does not mean that it is why the south is fighting. The war was started for a different reason. If the Confederate was fighting for something different sure go Union for trying freeing slaves but keeping slaves is not the core idea of the Confederacy That is not what the ideas is and so that is not what the flag original means. Most of history was filled with racism and slavery. After the war Slavery was not gone. After slavery was gone racism continued to be around. That is not the meaning of the flag.
  • PoguePogue 584 Pts   -  
    @BaconToes
    Yeah, after the war. Before the war, Congress was controlled by the South. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY9zHNOjGrs   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ajn9g5Gsv98 and this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roNmeOOJCDY 

I friended myself! 
  • VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -  
    Setting all the alleged reasons behind the War and what everyone was fighting for.  Can anyone here show me...send me...link me the document that proves that the Rebel Flag represented the Confederacy?  In order for these states to have adopted this Flag and it subsequently become the representing symbol of the Confederacy...it would have been proposed, voted on and officially adopted.  Where is the legislation of this process that everyone seems to be convinced of? 

If someone told you today, right now, that the Nazi Schwa-stika represented Minnesota in 1995...how would you go about proving or disproving this claim?  The answer is: You'd have to look into the Minnesota State Government to see if they actually adopted the flag or if it's just a baseless claim without any merit..............

• NopeNope 397 Pts   -  
    Wait which flag are we taking about.

• GhostyGhosty 60 Pts   -  
    @Nope
    Um... the Confederate flag.

• NopeNope 397 Pts   -   edited December 2017
    Ghosty I know but which confederate flag? The rebel flag (probably the most well know), the stars with bars (one of the first of their flags), bonnie blue (their first flag or stainless banner. Each fag was adopted at a different time and could have a different meaning.
    BaconToes
  • PoguePogue 584 Pts   -  
    BaconToes said:
    @Pogue It was because of states rights because of how they wanted to be able to keep slaves without the interference of the government. 
    1. If it was about state rights, a state's right to what? What specifically?
    2. The south had a lot of power. The supreme court ruled that if a slave was brought from slave states to a free state they would still be a slave. So there was no "free" state. The Kansas-Nebraska act repealed the Missouri Compromise. 

https://www.npr.org/2010/10/11/130489804/lincolns-evolving-thoughts-on-slavery-and-freedom

I friended myself! 
    Pogue said:
    BaconToes said:
    1. If it was about state rights, a state's right to what? What specifically?
    2. The south had a lot of power. The supreme court ruled that if a slave was brought from slave states to a free state they would still be a slave. So there was no "free" state. The Kansas-Nebraska act repealed the Missouri Compromise. 

https://www.npr.org/2010/10/11/130489804/lincolns-evolving-thoughts-on-slavery-and-freedom
    It seems as if you are ignoring me. You quote the answer that specifically answers your first question.
    Yes, all states have a lot of power. That's why the United States was created. But Abraham Lincoln was on the verge of abolishing slavery, so the South(some parts of it) broke up. "the Confederate States of America was a republic composed of eleven Southern states that seceded from the Union in order to preserve slavery, states’ rights, and political liberty for whites."
    http://www.history.com/topics/american-civil-war/confederate-states-of-america

Pogue
    i fart cows
    Like I said, there is not only one cause of the war, but multiple.
    i fart cows
  • PoguePogue 584 Pts   -  
    None of those things would have been issues without slavery

I friended myself! 
    Pogue said:
    None of those things would have been issues without slavery

But slavery was a major part of the Southern economy. Although slavery is morally wrong, to the South, stripping them of the right to own slaves is also wrong. If you work at McDonald's and I the president of the United States decided to destroy all McDonald's in America, would you think it is fair?
    i fart cows
  • PoguePogue 584 Pts   -  
    @BaconToes
    But they weren't planning on doing that. And your argument is economics. Again, not an issue without slavery. Also, it was a major part of the deep south. Industrialization would be better anyway. 

I friended myself! 
  • PoguePogue 584 Pts   -  
    BaconToes said:
    The Confederacy does not mean hate and discrimination. At that time, there weren't "discrimination' since they all thought that Blacks were inferior to the White.
    Discrimination- the unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people or things, especially on the grounds of race.
    If it was about state rights the Civil War would have started during the nullification crisis in the 1830's when Andrew Jackson said that Soth Carolina couldn't declare a federal tariff null in their states. Why didn't that cause a Civil War? Also, Lincoln said he would not get rid of slavery in states that had it.

I friended myself!