frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Objective Morality

Debate Information

Does it exist? If you believe so, please give reason for why.
Bis das, si cito das.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• MedicMedic 178 Pts   -  
    kant

Under a system of perfectly free commerce, each country naturally devotes its capital and labour to such employments as are most beneficial to each. This pursuit of individual advantage is admirably connected with the universal good of the whole. By stimulating industry, by regarding ingenuity, and by using most efficaciously the peculiar powers bestowed by nature, it distributes labour most effectively and most economically.

- David Ricardo

• DrCerealDrCereal 193 Pts   -  
    Medic said:
    kant
    Elaborate.
    Bis das, si cito das.
  • MedicMedic 178 Pts   -  
    C1: morality as understood by empiricists is a posterori (this morality would be relative)
    C2: however, this can only tell us how humans do act, not how they should act
    C3: therefore all morality must be a priori
    P1: therefore morality is objectve
    DrCerealEmeryPearson

Under a system of perfectly free commerce, each country naturally devotes its capital and labour to such employments as are most beneficial to each. This pursuit of individual advantage is admirably connected with the universal good of the whole. By stimulating industry, by regarding ingenuity, and by using most efficaciously the peculiar powers bestowed by nature, it distributes labour most effectively and most economically.

- David Ricardo

• MedicMedic 178 Pts   -  
    addendum: therefore morality as determined by relativism cannot be normative
    EmeryPearson

- David Ricardo

• KingHarrisKingHarris 22 Pts   -  
    I believe the concept of objective morality exists, as that being the idea that a specific doctrine or set of rules objectively states the morals one should follow. However there are thousands of diffirent books and teachings one can and does get their morals from, so that is why objective morality exists as a concept but not as a fact.
    EmeryPearson
    Medic said:
    C1: morality as understood by empiricists is a posterori (this morality would be relative)
    What do you mean by saying that a posteriori knowledge is "relative"?
    What do the C's and P stand for?

I'll be back with a further critique (if one is called for) after I have adequately pondered over this argument.
    Bis das, si cito das.
  • MedicMedic 178 Pts   -  
    c is contention where p is proof

the type of morality that is non-religious (ie the one we're arguing here) is either rationalist (ie a kantian idea of morality being able to be determined by logic alone) or empiricist (relative and is determined by human experience)

- David Ricardo

• DrCerealDrCereal 193 Pts   -   edited November 2017
    Medic said:
    I think the largest problem I seem to have with this argument is the presupposition that there is a way one should act (almost as if there is an objective morality). It seems to me that this argument is simply begging the question with contention 2.
    EmeryPearson
    Bis das, si cito das.
  • MedicMedic 178 Pts   -  
    On the contrary, it assumes that morality is a posterori and shows why this is absurd.

- David Ricardo

• MikeMike 97 Pts   -  
    “Morality” and “code of conduct” are two different manifestations of the same concept. That is, in forming a group, the objective of morality is the genesis as well as the evolution of a subjective code of conduct, while following a code of conduct becomes a moral event preserving the life of the group.
  • DrCerealDrCereal 193 Pts   -   edited December 2017
    Medic said:
    On the contrary, it assumes that morality is a posterori and shows why this is absurd.
    Yes, but you also seem to assume that answers to "should" questions (i.e., morality) are knowable at all (i.e., that they are either a priori or a posteriori knowledge). Like I said, that's begging the question.
    EmeryPearson
    Bis das, si cito das.
  • MedicMedic 178 Pts   -  
    That's a more reasonable critique, but the purpose of morality as understood by Kant, is indeed to make value judgements (normative statements). If it doesn't do that then it's useless. Therefore, in order for morality to have purpose it must make normative statements.
    EmeryPearson

- David Ricardo

Medic said:
    That's a more reasonable critique, but the purpose of morality as understood by Kant, is indeed to make value judgements (normative statements). If it doesn't do that then it's useless. Therefore, in order for morality to have purpose it must make normative statements.
    Sorry, but I do believe my original statement you have responded to meant something that it was not intended to mean. I have fixed this now so you may want to reread it.
    If it says what you thought, then all is well, I suppose, though I have a feeling that you didn't read what wasn't there.
    EmeryPearson
    Bis das, si cito das.