frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Should Solitary Confinement Use be Reduced and Elimanted?

Debate Information

Yes or no?
natbarons

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
22%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• BaconToesBaconToes 236 Pts   -  
    Solitary confinement leads to many mental illnesses. Instead of correcting a prisoner's behavior, it can make a prisoner more violent. Humans are social creatures, we can not stand not having any brain simulation. By stopping any brain simulation even for a short amount of time, it can lead to hallucinations and inability to think. Solitary confinement also leads to suicide. Many people(including me) would say that the worst people deserve to be put in solitary confinement. Bottom Line? Locking people up for 23 hours a day would not do them any good. Solitary confinement should be reduced to only the most harmful people. 
    Nope
    i fart cows
  • NopeNope 397 Pts   -  
    I would like to bring up another problem. If you arrest a young person and put him in Solitary confinement when they gets out, they may lack some skills in have to resort back to what got them in Solitary confinement to began with. It is not a effect system effecting their mental health an preventing some from learning skills that might help them not commit a crime. We should find other ways like maybe canceling. That way we won't have to pay for a not very helpful and mean system. The only benefit is keeping them away from us. But I rather have them become productive members then being gone for a wail only to return with another crime. Plus I feel sorry for them. : (
  • PoguePogue 584 Pts   -  
    Yes, locking people up with little to no social activity is very harmful to human brains. It can cause visual and auditory hallucinations, hypersensitivity to noise and touch, insomnia and paranoia, uncontrollable feelings of rage and fear, distortions of time and perception, increased risk of suicide, and post-traumatic stress disorder. Solitary Confinement also fits the definition of torture. The U.N. Convention Against Torture defines torture has an act that 'by which severe pain or suffering, whether physical or mental, is intentionally inflicted on a person” 
    I could either have the future pass me or l could create it. 

“We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain .” - Benjamin Franklin  So flat Earthers, man-made climate change deniers, and just science deniers.

I friended myself! 
  • natbaronsnatbarons 133 Pts   -  
    @Pogue good argument!

Yes, it should be stopped due to its possible effects. 
  • CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -  
    No.  People don't end up in solitary confinement for no reason, they have been put there because they are a threat to others.  Why should we endanger others by not keeping the worst of them isolated? 
  • NopeNope 397 Pts   -  
    CYDdharta Maybe if we invest in other things like counseling to help make them not as bad and dangerous people.
    BaconToes
  • CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -   edited December 2017
    Nope said:
    CYDdharta Maybe if we invest in other things like counseling to help make them not as bad and dangerous people.
    We already spend $87 billion on convicts, yet the recidivism rate is over 75%.  How much more should we spend?
  • FascismFascism 344 Pts   -  
    Nowadays people are scared to execute criminals. Solitary confinement is bad, but on a slightly off topic note, I think we should execute all of our serious criminals. 
    CYDdharta
  • NopeNope 397 Pts   -  
    CYDdharta Exactly! We need a more effected system. Clearly are current system is falling.
    BaconToesPogue
  • FascismFascism 344 Pts   -  
    @Nope execution. It might not be cheaper, but in the long run it will be. 
  • PoguePogue 584 Pts   -  
    Fascism said:
    @Nope execution. It might not be cheaper, but in the long run it will be. 
    No, it won't. What proves that. It costs much more to keep a prisoner on death row and for the trails.  
    https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/costs-death-penalty
    I could either have the future pass me or l could create it. 

“We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain .” - Benjamin Franklin  So flat Earthers, man-made climate change deniers, and just science deniers.

I friended myself! 
    CYDdharta said:
    Nope said:
    We already spend $87 billion on convicts, yet the recidivism rate is over 75%.  How much more should we spend?
    Maybe if we don't spend more, but perhaps we can change the justice system to rehabilitation instead isolation
    i fart cows
    CYDdharta said:
    Nope said:
    Maybe if we don't spend more, but perhaps we can change the justice system to rehabilitation instead isolation
    i fart cows