frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Should the US invest more in education?

Debate Information

Nope
joecavalry
  1. Live Poll

Should the US invest more in education?

8 votes
    1. More investment for the education system foundation!
      75.00%
    2. Invest less
      25.00%
    3. It is fine the way it is.
        0.00%
    4. I am undisaded
        0.00%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• NopeNope 397 Pts   -  
    I think we should. Teachers often leave before 5 years partially because teaching is not a very well paying job. That should change. 
  • CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -  
    We spend way too much already.  We're the 4th highest nation in per-student spending, yet our students only rank 32nd in terns of knowledge.  We aren't getting our money's worth now, and throwing good money after bad won't solve the problem.
  • NopeNope 397 Pts   -  
    CYDdharta I disagree. True are teaching methods are not the best. So we should change are teaching methods and put a higher value on education. Teachers don't get pain good money. They should. Poor teachers. They are leaving. We should invest in finding the best teaching methods. Unfortunately I can't vote on those kinds of things. None the less you do have a point.
    Nope said:
    CYDdharta I disagree. True are teaching methods are not the best. KSo we should change are teaching methods and put a higher value on education. Teachers don't get pain good money. They should. Poor teachers. They are leaving. We should invest in finding the best teaching methods. Unfortunately I can't vote on those kinds of things. None the less you do have a point.
    Teachers may not be the best paid, but their benefits make up for any shortfall in most cases.  Their benefits packages are well above the average, not to mention they have the longest vacation.  Maybe year-round schooling would be the best solution to both the teachers pay problems and the poor quality of students.
  • joecavalryjoecavalry 430 Pts   -  
    The US and other countries should increase their education spending. This is due to improving the educational system and making kids more educated.
    Nope
    DebateIslander and a DebateIsland.com lover. 
  • VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -  
    No, I don't believe the U.S. should invest more.

Currently the United States is 5th in National spending per student but ranks 17th in overall educational performance.  So this isn't an issue of needing to throw more money at Schools and the Education system, this is a matter of overhauling the current education system that was designed as early as 1920 for factory training and efficiency.  Our current educational system is controlled majorly by people who have no educational background or training who work in fields and offices that are unrelated to education and the needs of children in regards to schooling.  

In essence: Overhaul is needed.  When something is broken and doesn't work, shows no signs of improving and continues to get worse over time despite best efforts and massive amounts of money invested into it...at what point should you consider that it's time to look for another way?

Thura
    "If there's no such thing as a question then what kind of questions do people ask"?

"There's going to be a special place in Hell for people who spread lies through the veil of logical fallacies disguised as rational argument".

"Oh, you don't like my sarcasm?  Well I don't much appreciate your stup!d".

Nope said:
    CYDdharta I disagree. True are teaching methods are not the best. So we should change are teaching methods and put a higher value on education. Teachers don't get pain good money. They should. Poor teachers. They are leaving. We should invest in finding the best teaching methods. Unfortunately I can't vote on those kinds of things. None the less you do have a point.
    Teachers salaries in the US are currently 5th highest in the world.
  • NopeNope 397 Pts   -  
    CYDdharta The average salary annually is $50,000 dollars when I do not including the top 1% (For obvious region). The annually teacher salary is around $36,000. Teaching is not a very well paying job. Why compare it to another country's. We should compare it to other jobs.

Vaulk I agree we should invest in changing the education system. Still I believe we should put more money in are education system. Things like school buildings, lunches and teacher salary can improve if we invest money. We can also invest in finding better ways to educate.
  • WilliamSchulzWilliamSchulz 255 Pts   -  
    A better way to educate students is to actually challenge them with course material. Tests should not be testing whether you can fact check information or recall information that repeats itself, tests should ask you to think critically about passages and readings, so as to find new layers in the reading. Sure, it might be difficult, but the best way to learn is to provide an example in class, and then create another scenario on the test. While the answers might be similar to that of the example, students will have to think about the nature of the scenario to choose the correct answers.
    A good debate is not judged by bias, but in the context of the debate, where objectivity is key and rationale prevalent. 

Nope said:
    CYDdharta The average salary annually is $50,000 dollars when I do not including the top 1% (For obvious region). The annually teacher salary is around $36,000. Teaching is not a very well paying job. Why compare it to another country's. We should compare it to other jobs..
    You seem to be misinformed, the average teacher's salary is $61,327.  Even comparing it to other US salaries, they are well above average.  Our education system is in sad shape, so comparing our education system to the education systems in countries that actually get results only makes sense. 

You don't pay school taxes, do you?  I'm already paying almost twice as much in school taxes as I am in property taxes, and I don't even have kids, but at least I'm still working.  How many senior citizens should lose their homes in order to finance this expanded education funding?
  • NopeNope 397 Pts   -  
    WilliamSchulz IB (International Baccalaureate) is all about critical thinking. 
  • BaconToesBaconToes 236 Pts   -  
    I think changing the way that student is learning is more important than spending more money.
    Singapore has the statistically the smartest students, yet they only spent about 5 billion dollars on education
    The United States however spends $634 billion on education and is nowhere near the top ten list.
    Thura
    i fart cows
  • NopeNope 397 Pts   -  
    BaconToes Singapore has a lot smaller population and a higher stress rate for school. This is because the many east Asia country's put a high importance on education in their culture. I don't entirely agree with thier education system as it is to stressful. Many northern European country sea are more loose on education and are successful.
    BaconToes
  • CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -   edited December 2017
    Nope said:
    BaconToes Singapore has a lot smaller population and a higher stress rate for school. This is because the many east Asia country's put a high importance on education in their culture. I don't entirely agree with thier education system as it is to stressful. Many northern European country sea are more loose on education and are successful.
    Canada spends less on education per student and gets much better results.
    BaconToes
  • VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -   edited December 2017
    The real answer for fixing our education problem within the United States is as some of our members have already stated.  We need to get rid of this incessant test obsession where we expect that kids regurgitate information on demand and memorize facts only to forget them the same day when it's no longer needed.  Instead we should be focusing on teaching children how to think critically, how to read in between the lines, how to use logical deduction and how to correctly apply reason.  We SHOULD be teaching Leadership, time management, crisis management, team building, problem solving, communication, networking, negotiation...but these things aren't even taught in College.  

Storytime: I sat in my freshman orientation course in 2016 listening to what sounded and appeared to be a seasoned professor explain that there were certain skills that employers would be looking for in College Graduates that they hired.  He rattled off all the skills above and about 10 more and explained that if we wanted to be competitive in today's market...we would need these skills.  After listening to this guy explain for about 15 minutes why we needed these skills he gave us an opportunity to ask questions so I raised my hand and asked "So where are these skills trained on this campus"?

He looked at me like I had a phallus growing out of my forehead.  He said "I don't know if I understand your question".  So I said "If I asked you to point me in the direction I needed to walk to find the classroom on this campus that will train me to use those skills, which direction would you point"?  He looked down as if ashamed and realizing a fairly serious error before answering "You can't get those skills in college".  He explained that while the concepts might be explained in great detail...the skills aren't trained and there's no practical application training of those skills on University campuses.

Lucky for me I chose to enter the service after high school and I already had them.  I was asking the question more for the 80 other kids in the room that had hopped straight into college after high school.  This is a classic representation of the failure that is currently called "Public Education".  They don't teach BASIC skills in public school and the sure as hell don't teach them in College.
    NopeThuraBaconToes
    "If there's no such thing as a question then what kind of questions do people ask"?

"There's going to be a special place in Hell for people who spread lies through the veil of logical fallacies disguised as rational argument".

• NopeNope 397 Pts   -  
    Vaulk IB (International Baccalaureate  is a program I am currently taking that once I finish will help me get in to a college in any country. It focus on critical thinking. AP (Advanced Placement) which is only good in the united states to help you get in to college which I am also taking is more focus on facts. I do think this says something about a education system and I do like IB better then AP.
  • VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -   edited December 2017
    @Nope

I'd genuinely love to hear how that works but I'm apprehensive about any type of training on critical thinking in a classroom environment.  This is kind of the issue with the other skills I mentioned, while teaching the concept and even executing practical exercises can be really great...it unfortunately is not enough to prepare you for critical thinking within the real world.  I'll give it to you that you must grasp the concept in order to apply it but application without real world context leaves you with the knowledge of how something works but not the ability to use it realistically.

Think about it like swimming, how much can you really learn about swimming without getting into the water?  And how skilled at swimming can you realistically become if you've only ever swam in an indoor pool? 
    Nope