frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

The arctic midnight sun proves a flat Earth

Debate Information

1. Live Poll

Is the Earth flat?

8 votes
    1. Yes
      12.50%
    2. No
      87.50%
I am no longer active on DebateIsland or any debate website. Many things I have posted here and on other sites (Such as believing in the flat Earth theory or other conspiracy theories such as those that are about the Las Vegas Shooting or 9/11) do not reflect on my current views. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1p6M-VgXHwwdpJarhyQYapBz-kRc6FrgdOLFAd3IfYz8/edit

https://debateisland.com/discussion/comment/18248/#Comment_18248 (Me officially stating that I am no longer a flat-Earther)
About Persuade Me

Persuaded Arguments

• ErfisflatErfisflat 1675 Pts   -  
    Interesting fact: if you look at the numbers, you'll notice that the tilt of the earth, from the equator is 66.6.
    Pseudoscience: noun; a collection of beliefs or practices mistakenly regarded as being based on scientific method.

Scientific method: noun; a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about.

Wayne Dyer
    "This image explains it. Light bends the light as shown in the images. But your bran does not take into account the water bending light and sees it as it would in the atmosphere so it sees the light like the doted line. So it sees the fish as closer and their for magnified.

Wtf? That doesn't even make sense. First of all this image is a scenario where one is looking down into a denser medium from a less dense medium. In your model, we would be in the denser medium, looking out into a less dense medium. A glaringly obvious difference in circumstances.

Pseudoscience: noun; a collection of beliefs or practices mistakenly regarded as being based on scientific method.

Scientific method: noun; a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about.

Wayne Dyer

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• NopeNope 397 Pts   -  
    A right. I guess I have to explain it to you.
    Image result for map of tilted earth
    You see the right angle line to orbit. If the earth were to make one rotation then that line would make a circle that looks like this.
    Image result for map of the arctic circle
    The globe model says every place within the circle should be able to see a midnight sun. And with atmospheric refraction which I previously explained it is most certainly possible to see the midnight sun at the 65 parallel. I don't think it is hard to figure out why they can observe the midnight sun. One rotation and they always stay to on side of that perpendicular line to orbit meaning they can see the sun even at midnight.
    So why don't people witness the mid night sun in the southern hemisphere?Image result for southern arctic circle
    Maybe that is because the southern circle only encloses Antarctica and people don't really live their.
    What about the heat from the sun? Why is the hole earth not the same temperature? When light from the sun comes to the equator it gets a head on impact straight through the atmosphere. The light that goes to the poles comes at a side ways angle meaning it covers a grater area and has to go through more atmosphere.Image result for diagram of sunlight to equator and polesWe know sun light going through more atmosphere leeds to less heat because every time the sun sets the heat from the sun decreases and sun sets have sun light coming in at a similar angle. It is like an ongoing sun rise and sun set never getting up over head. This means the suns rays are cooler and the poles don't heat up.
    That last part about equal day lengths. Don't be ridicules. The axes of rotation is tilted of course the hole earth does not have equal day lengths.
    You make this to easy. Challenge me.
    ErfisflatSilverishGoldNova
    "You make this to easy. Challenge me."

Been there, done that.

http://www.debateisland.com/discussion/1451/earth-is-a-ball/p9

Still waiting on the rebuttal.

@Nope

Wayne Dyer
    Of course, I use the word "fact" very very loosely.

Wayne Dyer
  • NopeNope 397 Pts   -  
    Erfisflat Water magnifies things.
    Ok captain obvious. I'll take the bait. What does this have to do with anything?

Wayne Dyer
  • NopeNope 397 Pts   -  
    Erfisflat It helps support my atmospheric refraction argument.
    Nope said:
    Erfisflat It helps support my atmospheric refraction argument.
    magnification does not equate to raising back into view from over curvature. 

SilverishGoldNova

Wayne Dyer
    "Water magnifies things" is actually supporting evidence for a small and close sun. As the sun goes further away from an observer at sea level, without this magnification, the sun would get smaller, due to the laws of perspective. The water in the air (magnification) keeps it relatively the same size from sunrise to noon, to sunset. You seem to be ignoring any arguments and evidence that doesn't confirm your priors, so this is probably falling on deaf ears.

@Nope

Wayne Dyer
  • NopeNope 397 Pts   -  
    Erfisflat
    Ummm. I will have to explain this to you I guess.
    Image result for water refraction
    This image explains it. Light bends the light as shown in the images. But your bran does not take into account the water bending light and sees it as it would in the atmosphere so it sees the light like the doted line. So it sees the fish as closer and their for magnified.
  • NopeNope 397 Pts   -  
    Erfisflat
    I said it supports my explanation of light refraction. My explanation of light refraction explains atmospheric refraction.