frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Can actions which cause no harm be immoral?

Debate Information

I saw another poster suggest that actions can be immoral even if they cause no harm and I thought this to be an incorrect statement. Can anyone convince me other wise with sound arguments?
  1. Live Poll

Can actions which cause no harm be immoral?

20 votes
    1. Yes
      75.00%
    2. No
      25.00%
    3. I'm not sure.
        0.00%
A supreme being is just like a normal being...but with sour cream and black olives.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
22%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• MikeMike 97 Pts   -  
    In general, a social group having its own moral code of conduct may find it “immoral” when one of its members leave and join a different group having a conflicting code of conduct. If the transition is civil, no harm done.
    SkepticalOne
  • MajoMILSdlGMGVMajoMILSdlGMGV 103 Pts   -  
    I think it depends on what you think is moral or not. You may not directly harm anyone but you are still doing something that is considered wrong. For example if you are drunk driving, even if it's only for a block or two, and you get home safely without harming anyone, you still did something that is considered immoral. 
    SkepticalOneSaltBucket
  • @Mike

Without knowing why social group A's disapproves of social group B's code of conduct we can't say if the act of joining social group B causes no harm. Plus, if the code of conduct is benign and group A disapproves for purely subjective reasons, then I'm not sure their objection has anything to do with morality.
    A supreme being is just like a normal being...but with sour cream and black olives.
  • @MajoMILSdlGMGV

I think your argument raises other questions.  Is driving drunk immoral or potentially immoral? If we modify your hypothetical so that no innocents could possibly be harmed I think we illustrate drunk driving is not inherently immoral on it's own.
  • MikeMike 97 Pts   -  
    @Mike

Without knowing why social group A's disapproves of social group B's code of conduct we can't say if the act of joining social group B causes no harm. Plus, if the code of conduct is benign and group A disapproves for purely subjective reasons, then I'm not sure their objection has anything to do with morality.
    Thank you for your feedback. I did mentioned, or implied, that “we know” there are moral codes within a group “A” that are known to be in conflict with group “B”; hence an “immoral” event when one leaves said group “A” to reform, or convert to group “B” in a civil manner, and therefore, “harms” no other. 
  • Mike said:
    Thank you for your feedback. I did mentioned, or implied, that “we know” there are moral codes within a group “A” that are known to be in conflict with group “B”; hence an “immoral” event when one leaves said group “A” to reform, or convert to group “B” in a civil manner, and therefore, “harms” no other. 

You're not seeing the point I'm trying to make (poor communication on my part no doubt!).  It seems you're basically defining morality as codes of conducts which are culturally approved, but isn't morality more than consensus?  For instance, if Group A views leaving group A as immoral...or (say) eating strawberries as immoral  - that doesn't make these actions immoral. 
  • someone234someone234 647 Pts   -  
    Define immoral and harm and you will find the answer.
  • MikeMike 97 Pts   -  
    Mike said:

You're not seeing the point I'm trying to make (poor communication on my part no doubt!).  It seems you're basically defining morality as codes of conducts which are culturally approved, but isn't morality more than consensus?  For instance, if Group A views leaving group A as immoral...or (say) eating strawberries as immoral  - that doesn't make these actions immoral. 
    For example, say I’m a member of an orthodox religious group and decided to convert to another religion. Depending on their moral code, which is a function of their belief system, the group may define this as a sinful “immoral” event, and generally, no “harm” is done to anyone during one’s conversion.
    @Mike you harm yourself by ensuring punishment for sinning by betraying their god.
  • MikeMike 97 Pts   -  
    @someone234

Only God will make that decision on judgement day. Therefore, no “harm” done today in our physical domain. 

@Mike sentencing yourself to eternal damnation is harm. Long term harm that comes later due to what you do now is still based on the concept of harm.
  • Mike said:
    For example, say I’m a member of an orthodox religious group and decided to convert to another religion. Depending on their moral code, which is a function of their belief system, the group may define this as a sinful “immoral” event, and generally, no “harm” is done to anyone during one’s conversion.
    If we allow different groups can have different moralities, then we must also allow moving from one group to another is an amoral action since no group (even if religious) is a moral authority over any other group. 

• MikeMike 97 Pts   -  
    @Mike sentencing yourself to eternal damnation is harm. Long term harm that comes later due to what you do now is still based on the concept of harm.
    Again, God is the judge. Not you!
  • MikeMike 97 Pts   -  
    Mike said:
    If we allow different groups can have different moralities, then we must also allow moving from one group to another is an amoral action since no group (even if religious) is a moral authority over any other group. 

Who are “we” to dictate to any social group what their moral code of conduct to be? Besides, tyrannical codes of conduct is not a subject of this debate.    

@Mike which god?
  • MikeMike 97 Pts   -  
    @Mike which god?

Good question! However, God is not the subject of this debate. I only used religion as an example of an “immoral” action causes no “harm.”

From that example, you went off on some tangent describing the actions of your God, will somehow, harm the one who converted to another religion. 

• SkepticalOneSkepticalOne Gold Premium Member 1628 Pts   -   edited December 2017
    Mike said:
    Mike said:

Who are “we” to dictate to any social group what their moral code of conduct to be? Besides, tyrannical codes of conduct is not a subject of this debate.    

I think you're looking at it in the wrong way.  If moral relativism is true, then moving between groups cannot be immoral from any context in which more than one group is objectively considered. So, I agree with your statement just not your conclusion.
  • MikeMike 97 Pts   -  
    @SkepticalOne
    How about this example, the classic “generation gap.” A parent may find their child’s rap music “immoral,” relative to the child no “harm” is done.
  • CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -  
    Mike said:
    @SkepticalOne
    How about this example, the classic “generation gap.” A parent may find their child’s rap music “immoral,” relative to the child no “harm” is done.
    I think the only reason for a parent to find rap music immoral is because of the lyrics, which could cause harm by desensitizing the child over time.  They may find the music itself to be of inferior quality, but not immoral.
  • Mike said:
    @SkepticalOne

Let's explore it.  Other than opinion (which I do not consider to be morality), why would the parent consider the music immoral?  
  • MikeMike 97 Pts   -  
    @SkepticalOne ;@CYDdharta
    What I may find “immoral” may be pleasure to you. Therefore, no “harm” is done to either. 
  • @Mike

Mike, do you consider morality to be arbitrary? Is it a matter of personal preference? I don't think either is true and an argument with such assumptions built-in are not compelling.
  • MikeMike 97 Pts   -  
    @Mike

Mike, do you consider morality to be arbitrary? Is it a matter of personal preference? I don't think either is true and an argument with such assumptions built-in are not compelling.

Good question. I find “morality” and a moral “code of conduct” are two different manifestations of a “universal morality.” That is, in forming a group, the objective of morality is the genesis as well as the evolution of a subjective code of conduct, while following a code of conduct becomes a moral event preserving the life of the group. The evolution of a human moral code of conduct is a function of the “Golden Rule” which is an outgrowth from a “universal morality”, which is an outgrowth of life’s “unalienable Rights”, which is an outgrowth of the physical constructal law.

For other forms of life, according to research of Jonathan Haidt, Marc Hauser, Frans de Waal, considers a universal morality, or a variant thereof, responsible for group formation (schools of fish, flocks of birds, packs of wolfs or other primates) that seems to be more genetic than social or a combination thereof.   

Take for example, the historic lamenting over the “changing moral values” relative to Elvis Presley’s activities in the 1950’s.  

So in conclusion, relative to my subjective code of conduct, which evolved from the subjective norms of the culture in which I live; what I may find “immoral” may be pleasure to you. Therefore, no “harm” done to either.

• @Mike

You acknowledge a function of morality is preservation. You suggest this is limited to a group, but this is demonstrably false.

Most charities help individuals regardless of their religion, race, sex, etc. This would be counter-intuitive if morality were nothing more than preservation of social groups.

We can observe this same impulse to protect life even across species boundaries. For instance, the label "endangered species" arises from the realization that we can affect other animals in positive and negative ways - we might be causing extinction and/or we can fix the problem. Morality across species is not limited to humans either. Dolphins have been seen protecting seals and even humans from predators. Why would they do such a thing if the group were the heigth of morality?

Suffice to say, without preservation of life as a basis, there is no morality. Ill agree how we go about doing this is subjective (there are many ways to achieve this), but the thought that morality is nothing more than a whim which has no connection to prevention of harm and preservation of life is misguided.

In short, if you find something 'immoral' in which no one is harmed, then your definition of morality is meaningless.
    @SkepticalOne Hate to break it to you but you thinking my morality is meaningless, is itself meaningless to me. Bye b**** xoxo
    BaconToes
  • MikeMike 97 Pts   -  
    @Mike

You acknowledge a function of morality is preservation. You suggest this is limited to a group, but this is demonstrably false.

Most charities help individuals regardless of their religion, race, sex, etc. This would be counter-intuitive if morality were nothing more than preservation of social groups.

We can observe this same impulse to protect life even across species boundaries. For instance, the label "endangered species" arises from the realization that we can affect other animals in positive and negative ways - we might be causing extinction and/or we can fix the problem. Morality across species is not limited to humans either. Dolphins have been seen protecting seals and even humans from predators. Why would they do such a thing if the group were the heigth of morality?

Suffice to say, without preservation of life as a basis, there is no morality. Ill agree how we go about doing this is subjective (there are many ways to achieve this), but the thought that morality is nothing more than a whim which has no connection to prevention of harm and preservation of life is misguided.

In short, if you find something 'immoral' in which no one is harmed, then your definition of morality is meaningless.

A group who embraces charities is a group that intersects many other groups. I see no conflict here. Also, interspecies morality presents no conflict to my position. I’m not sure where you are going. As for my definition of morality is based on Stanford University’s position on a “universal morality.”  

I feel I spent enough time and supplied enough examples in attempt to answer your question, “Can actions which cause no harm be immoral?” I regret I have not made myself clear enough to satisfy your objective. And on that note, I must move on, good luck in finding what you are looking for. 

• @someone234

I will take your eloquent and thoughtful argument into consideration.
  • @Mike
    Thank you for your input, Mike. Maybe next time we'll find better ways to communicate our views to each other.
    Mike
  • WilliamSchulzWilliamSchulz 255 Pts   -  
    I know that I am late to this discussion, but hopefully I can try to leave some open input. When I was reading through your discussion with Mike, I noticed you were discussing whether leaving groups was immoral. Before I answer this question, I would like to set apart a distinction. I think that there is a universal morality and a belief system that is specific to a specific person. When I say this, this means that a person might have different ideas about what groups or ideas are right or wrong. Different people might have different opinions on whether Eminem's "Rap God" is blasphemous toward Christian culture or not, but there is some overarching universal morality that we all abide by. For instance, murder is wrong in all cases and that we have an obligation to care for family members; that is universal morality. Now to the question above. This case falls under the example where it depends on your beliefs. In terms of leaving say the Orthodoxy in order to become a Methodist, that would depend on what your belief about God is. Do you think that God is present in the Eucharist? If not, you might become a Methodist, but if so, you should stay in the Orthodoxy. This requires research and spiritual guidance, and while all calls are your own, God is the judge of you at the end of time. 

Onto the debate question itself. I do think that some actions can be immoral while still not harming people. If we were to draw a circle and list all immoral things under harm, would that make harm the only judge for if an action is immoral? I think that there could be another category, say relationships. I hate to bring this up but say if cheating on your girlfriend and gay marriage are not harmful. That would still make them immoral because they deal with improper relationships. Another example that might not be controversial like gay marriage. Say you betray your family when they need you the most, leaving them to harm but not causing it to them. That is immoral because a universal morality states that you always care and stand by family members. Therefore, morality is the second judge of immorality besides physical or mental harm caused to a person. While our beliefs to some issues might differ, a universal morality judges us all and that makes that the second category to immoral behavior. We might disagree about what makes up a universal morality, but that is besides the point for now and to hopefully be discussed later. 

If you have any questions or flaws in my argument, let me know, I will try to respond ASAP. 
    A good debate is not judged by bias, but in the context of the debate, where objectivity is key and rationale prevalent. 

If you are interested, based on your quote,  As for my definition of morality is based on Stanford University’s position on a “universal morality.”  I think you might enjoy C. S. Lewis's book called Mere Christianity where he describes what universal morality is. You don't have to be a Christian to read it, hope this might help!
    Mike
    A good debate is not judged by bias, but in the context of the debate, where objectivity is key and rationale prevalent. 

• MikeMike 97 Pts   -  
    If you are interested, based on your quote,  As for my definition of morality is based on Stanford University’s position on a “universal morality.”  I think you might enjoy C. S. Lewis's book called Mere Christianity where he describes what universal morality is. You don't have to be a Christian to read it, hope this might help!

Thanks for the lead on C.S. Lewis’ book. I like Wikipedia’s take on Lewis’ view on morality, “Lewis argues that the moral law is like the law of nature in that it was not contrived by humans. However, it is unlike natural laws in that it can be broken or ignored, and it is known intuitively, rather than through observation.”  

Today we have empirical observations of a “universal morality”, which is an outgrowth of “unalienable Rights,” which is an outgrowth of the physical constructal law.

WilliamSchulz
  • Nobody should take pain personally!  o:)
    Mike said:

Thanks for the lead on C.S. Lewis’ book. I like Wikipedia’s take on Lewis’ view on morality, “Lewis argues that the moral law is like the law of nature in that it was not contrived by humans. However, it is unlike natural laws in that it can be broken or ignored, and it is known intuitively, rather than through observation.”  

Today we have empirical observations of a “universal morality”, which is an outgrowth of “unalienable Rights,” which is an outgrowth of the physical constructal law.

Looks great! One of Lewis's main points is that although we have a sense of morality and universal morality, we are very prone to break or stretch our sense of morality to fit our needs. 
    Mike

• I believe some of the examples you cite actually do involve harm or, at the very least, the potential for harm. Harm is not merely physical damage, but psychological and/or emotional injury. Cheating on your partner is considered immoral because it introduces harm, or the potential for harm, into the equation. Betraying your family and leaving them to harm does the same. These are immoral acts.

Gay marriage is something altogether different. I agree there is no harm caused by it, and as suggested in the OP, something which does not cause harm cannot be immoral. More work will need to be done to show gay marriage as immoral. 

Also, it should be noted, "morality is the second judge of immorality" is circular and, I'm sorry to say, nonsensical.  You can't legitimately judge something red because it is non-red.  You need to know what "red" means before you can understand non-red. It is the same with morality or any coherent concept.
  • If you are interested, based on your quote,  As for my definition of morality is based on Stanford University’s position on a “universal morality.”  I think you might enjoy C. S. Lewis's book called Mere Christianity where he describes what universal morality is. You don't have to be a Christian to read it, hope this might help!

I would appreciate linking a definition of 'universal morality'.  I don't believe Stanford has an absolute position on it. ;) I might need to re-read Lewis' Mere Christianity.  It has been a few years since I read it!

I would appreciate linking a definition of 'universal morality'.  I don't believe Stanford has an absolute position on it. ;) I might need to re-read Lewis' Mere Christianity.  It has been a few years since I read it!
    Here is a source which draws conclusions on universal morality and ethics, I'll respond to your argument above tomorrow sometime.
    http://merechristianitystudyguide.blogspot.com/2008/12/c-s-lewiss-three-arguments-for-moral.html ;

• @WilliamSchulz

The link lead me to "Sorry, the page you were looking for in this blog does not exist." :-/
  • brontoraptorbrontoraptor 123 Pts   -  
    @SkepticalOne

If a person pleasures themselves to donkey porn, maybe no one gets hurt but....
    SkepticalOne
  • GrenacheGrenache 65 Pts   -  
    Although I try to be a good person I really don't care about absolutists and their campaigns against perceived immoralities.  But, with that said, the fact is all it really takes for something to be immoral is for more than half the people in a group to agree that it's immoral.  That doesn't make them right.  That doesn't mean the perceived harm is real or not real.  It just means the preponderance of people (in that group) have declared it wrong to do whatever said items is and that you're a bad person if you do it.

If you have 10 pirates on a ship and zero of them think pillaging wealth is immoral then on that particular ship you can pillage wealth all you want, and if the outsider wants to bring God into the discussion they'll just laugh it off.  But also, if 6 out of 10 of those pirates say sleeping with another man's wench is immoral then that behavior becomes immoral (on that ship, at least).  This is a simple example but it's just to drive home the fact that opinion of majority heavily influences what is moral and what isn't.
  • ethielen18ethielen18 3 Pts   -  
    It would really be different to everyone because morality is based off of your personal beliefs. So some may think something is okay and moral while others don't think it's okay an immoral. I think it's basically impossible to debate if something is or isn't moral because morals are based off of opinion and your life experiences so many people will have different things they believe.
  • @ethielen18

I don't think morality is personal given that it deals with actions which affect other people, so something more than personal beliefs needs to inform it. (a morality informed by opinion only is no morality) Sure, we'll need to agree life has value, but after that actions can be objectively weighed against whether they are good or bad for life.
  • drodgersdrodgers 35 Pts   -  
    @SkepticalOne ; Many religions deem it immoral to work on the sabbath.  Many people do, harming no one.  Many people condemn it.
  • @drodgers

Demonstrating one reason why those religions should be disregarded as a moral authority. ;-)

@SkepticalOne
    Whether you regard the morality of each religion or not is inconsequential.  The fact is people everyday judge others actions as immoral, even when those actions hurt no one for many reasons.  

Religion is just an easy target to prove this point.
  • drodgers said:
    @SkepticalOne
    Whether you regard the morality of each religion or not is inconsequential.  The fact is people everyday judge others actions as immoral, even when those actions hurt no one for many reasons.  

Religion is just an easy target to prove this point.
    Well, let me ask you a question. What makes something "immoral"? 
    @SkepticalOne

What makes something immoral to a group is when that thing violates their constructs of morally acceptable behavior.

Individually, it's up to each of us to decide for ourselves.

For example, many people don't agree with the, "No working on the sabbath."

Some do it anyway and DON'T feel they've acted immorally even though the morality of their chosen religion, says otherwise.
  • drodgers said:
    @SkepticalOne

What makes something immoral to a group is when that thing violates their constructs of morally acceptable behavior.
    That translates to 'something is imorral to a group because it is immoral to that group'. That is circular and doesn't answer the question. 

Individually, it's up to each of us to decide for ourselves.

For example, many people don't agree with the, "No working on the sabbath."

Some do it anyway and DON'T feel they've acted immorally even though the morality of their chosen religion, says otherwise.

Ok, by that reasoning: if morality is determined by the individual, then religion should acquiesce to moral determinations of individuals rather than being acting as a moral authority.
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5947 Pts   -  
    Moral systems are highly subjective. While in general they are always based on some practical considerations, those considerations are not always related to what is directly harmful and what is now. There is a wide array of traditionalist, cultural or religious reasons as to why a certain action can be considered immoral - reasons not necessarily based on practicality.

For example, in Hinduism it is considered highly immoral to eat beef. Eating beef does not cause any direct harm to anyone, but since cows are considered sacred and beef comes from them, eating beef is a sacrilege. 

It is also worth noting that "harm" itself is a somewhat subjective term. Walking up to someone on the street and saying a racial slur in their face does not exactly harm them, as the only objective effect of your words is a few pressure waves in the air from your voice - but it would be considered immoral by almost anyone, because it can cause a certain level of psychological discomfort to the person. That discomfort is not harmful, but it is unpleasant. Some might see it as a psychological harm, depending on their level of psychological tolerance and/or their level of compassion.

I personally think that, for our society to truly prosper, we should indeed build our moral system around purely practical considerations. This is a minority opinion at the moment, however.
  • MayCaesar said:
    Moral systems are highly subjective. While in general they are always based on some practical considerations, those considerations are not always related to what is directly harmful and what is now. There is a wide array of traditionalist, cultural or religious reasons as to why a certain action can be considered immoral - reasons not necessarily based on practicality.

For example, in Hinduism it is considered highly immoral to eat beef. Eating beef does not cause any direct harm to anyone, but since cows are considered sacred and beef comes from them, eating beef is a sacrilege. 

It is also worth noting that "harm" itself is a somewhat subjective term. Walking up to someone on the street and saying a racial slur in their face does not exactly harm them, as the only objective effect of your words is a few pressure waves in the air from your voice - but it would be considered immoral by almost anyone, because it can cause a certain level of psychological discomfort to the person. That discomfort is not harmful, but it is unpleasant. Some might see it as a psychological harm, depending on their level of psychological tolerance and/or their level of compassion.

I personally think that, for our society to truly prosper, we should indeed build our moral system around purely practical considerations. This is a minority opinion at the moment, however.
    In your view, is there a purpose to morality? If so, what is it?
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5947 Pts   -  
    MayCaesar said:

In your view, is there a purpose to morality? If so, what is it?
    I see morality as a shortcut for our brain to know how to act in what social situation, without always having to consider everything from the zero point. My personal morality is built around the practicality-based reasoning: over the course of my life, I thought about different situation and tried to understand what action I see as practically best, that is as maximizing my happiness.