frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

Government Shuts Down As Senate Fails To Reach Deal - Who’s Fault?

Debate Information

joecavalryyolostide
  1. Live Poll

?

7 votes
    1. Trump
      28.57%
    2. Republicans
      42.86%
    3. Shumer
        0.00%
    4. Democrats
      28.57%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
22%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• CuriousGeorgeCuriousGeorge 109 Pts   -  
    Washington Post would have you believe that everything isTrump's fault.  In this case I would say Dems should carry the responsibility 
  • WhyTrumpWhyTrump 234 Pts   -  
    It should be responsibility of the President to ensure wellbeing and safety of his people.  He failed to come up with a deal.
    WhyTrump - a good question
  • CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -  
    WhyTrump
  • whiteflamewhiteflame 689 Pts   -  
    I'm not particularly fond of any of the answers. Much as I think this is a failure that the Republicans will own because, let's face it, they control both houses of Congress and the White House, this was a failure on the part of the government as a whole, both Republicans and Democrats. I support the DACA legislation, but when a partial government shut down was set to happen, partisan politics should have taken a backseat to just keeping the government running. Republicans want increased defense spending and tougher policies regarding immigration, Democrats want protections for Dreamers. Whether you agree with either side on these particular policy goals shouldn't be the issue at hand because the partial government shut down will affect a lot of people entirely separate from either side's legislative agenda. Much like in 2013, even if this lasts a short time, it's going to cause substantial harm, and it shows how a bitter partisan divide can prevent our government from functioning on the most basic of levels.
  • love2debatelove2debate 186 Pts   -  
    I think Schumer wants to make a name for himself by playing hardball and showing that he doesn’t take crap from Trump.  I would point the blame most towards him
  • OakchairbcOakchairbc 88 Pts   -  
    Fact is republicans control the government. Fact is they could have kept the government open with a simple majority vote. They choose not to and instead used their reconciliation votes to take healthcare away from people and enrich rich people. 

• joecavalryjoecavalry 430 Pts   -  
    The Democrats caused the government shutdown, but the government is now open thanks to a bipartisan effort.
    DebateIslander and a DebateIsland.com lover. 
  • CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -  
    Fact is republicans control the government. Fact is they could have kept the government open with a simple majority vote. They choose not to and instead used their reconciliation votes to take healthcare away from people and enrich rich people. 

Fact is they need a super-majority in the Senate to overcome the Dem cloture vote.  The only way to overcome the filibuster with a simple majority is to invoke a nuclear option and change the Senate rules.

yolostide
  • yolostideyolostide 95 Pts   -  
    @CYDdharta , great argument!

The Democrats could have filibustered a vote and should be blamed for the government shutdown.
  • OakchairbcOakchairbc 88 Pts   -  
    CYDdharta said:

Fact is they need a super-majority in the Senate to overcome the Dem cloture vote.  The only way to overcome the filibuster with a simple majority is to invoke a nuclear option and change the Senate rules.

“Wah we refused to pass a budget with a simple majority. Now we are crying because we dont want to suffer the consequences of our actions. Good thing we have ignorant hacks like cyharda who know literally nothing. You see she is such a confirmation bias loser that even after reading about reconciliation votes insists they don’t exists.” - republicans
    ”I suck Trumps ” -cyharta