frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Who Is The Greatest Historical Figure

Debate Information

This is a debate about what historical figure was the greatest. None are off limits.
northsouthkorea

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• northsouthkoreanorthsouthkorea 221 Pts   -  
    I would say there is not only one, but will go with George Washington.
    Zombieguy1987
  • ErfisflatErfisflat 1675 Pts   -   edited October 2017
    Nikola Tesla.

Vaulkaleksa21
    Pseudoscience: noun; a collection of beliefs or practices mistakenly regarded as being based on scientific method.

Scientific method: noun; a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about.

Wayne Dyer
  • Gabe the Dog
    I am no longer active on DebateIsland or any debate website. Many things I have posted here and on other sites (Such as believing in the flat Earth theory or other conspiracy theories such as those that are about the Las Vegas Shooting or 9/11) do not reflect on my current views. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1p6M-VgXHwwdpJarhyQYapBz-kRc6FrgdOLFAd3IfYz8/edit

https://debateisland.com/discussion/comment/18248/#Comment_18248 (Me officially stating that I am no longer a flat-Earther)
  • FascismFascism 344 Pts   -  
    There is no greatest historical figure, but one of my favorites is Netaji Subash Chandra Bose. Image result for Subhash Chandra Bose
    Oswald_Mosley
  • Oswald_MosleyOswald_Mosley 108 Pts   -  
    I have a definite favorite. My favorite leader of all time is Big Boi Benito Mussolini
    Zombieguy1987
  • My man max Stirner 
    Oswald_Mosley
  • @Oswald_Mosley seriously... 
  • Mine is Cyrus the Great: The basic founder of the Persian Empire.
  • FredsnephewFredsnephew 361 Pts   -  
    Ferdinand Magellan and Juan Sebastian Elcano.

For their circumnavigation the Earth.

Which 500 years ago, disproved the flat Earth theory.
  • Wim Kok (and pretty much every Dutch politician since.)
  • piloteerpiloteer 1577 Pts   -  
    Alf was. Everyone alive knows there was life before Alf :s, and life after Alf B)
  • YeshuaBoughtYeshuaBought 669 Pts   -  
  • I would have to go with Alexander the Great for the sheer dominance he displayed completely dismantling what is now the middle east. He was pretty much unbeatable and only died because of a incurable illness for the time. Had he stayed alive he would've conquered the entirety of Europe and Asia.
    Jesus.
  • VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -  
    I actually agree with @Erfisflat, Nikola Tesla is not only responsible for the fundamental principles of ALL of our electrical technology but, indirectly, is responsible for all technology that relies directly or indirectly on electrical technology.  There's also no other ingenuitive historical figure who's research and studies are more heavily suppressed by not only the Government but multiple technology titans because of the space age technology that Tesla was actually streamlining before his death.
    "If there's no such thing as a question then what kind of questions do people ask"?

"There's going to be a special place in Hell for people who spread lies through the veil of logical fallacies disguised as rational argument".

"Oh, you don't like my sarcasm?  Well I don't much appreciate your stup!d".

• I would say that whoever promoted the scientific method and saved people from religious lies  is the greatest historical figure. 
  • BrainSocksBrainSocks 39 Pts   -  
    Martin Luther King jr.
  • CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -  
    Jesus and Muhammad
  • TKDBTKDB 694 Pts   -  
    Jesus
  • VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -  
    I would say that whoever promoted the scientific method and saved people from religious lies  is the greatest historical figure. 
    Francis Bacon is accredited with the invention of the Scientific Method, he was also a devout Christian.  The history of Scientific development is actually tied heavily into Christianity...in lieu of Christianity our Scientific progress would have been stunted with any other religion as it has been for most of the Countries that are not primarily Christian.
    대왕광개토
    "If there's no such thing as a question then what kind of questions do people ask"?

"There's going to be a special place in Hell for people who spread lies through the veil of logical fallacies disguised as rational argument".

• Vaulk said:
    I would say that whoever promoted the scientific method and saved people from religious lies  is the greatest historical figure. 
    Francis Bacon is accredited with the invention of the Scientific Method, he was also a devout Christian.  The history of Scientific development is actually tied heavily into Christianity...in lieu of Christianity our Scientific progress would have been stunted with any other religion as it has been for most of the Countries that are not primarily Christian.
    Great information! But I doubt if Christianity was a main actual cause that made Francis Bacon invent scientific method(I would be glad to see any evidence that support your claim). In addition, isn't scientific method contrary to religion? I want to hear more about this topic from you.
    Plaffelvohfen
    @CYDdharta Thank you, I agree.
  • piloteerpiloteer 1577 Pts   -   edited September 2019
    Vaulk said:

"@Vaulk

Our number system and the mathematical system that they created, along with our monetary system was created by Muslim monks. And the very alphabetic characters we are using to communicate here and throughout our daily lives, was created by Jewish monks. I agree that Christianity had a profound influence on the scientific method, but without the all other Muslim and Jewish contributions, the scientific method wouldn't exist.        
    대왕광개토
  • MichaelElpersMichaelElpers 1121 Pts   -  
    Thomas Jefferson for being the main contributor to the worlds best governing document ever produced.  All the evils the founding father's foresaw getting in the way of the republic is incredible. 
  • VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -  
    piloteer said:
    Vaulk said:

"@Vaulk

Our number system and the mathematical system that they created, along with our monetary system was created by Muslim monks. And the very alphabetic characters we are using to communicate here and throughout our daily lives, was created by Jewish monks. I agree that Christianity had a profound influence on the scientific method, but without the all other Muslim and Jewish contributions, the scientific method wouldn't exist.        
    I'm not trying to say that Christianity was responsible for ALL of it and NO OTHER religion had anything to do with it.  I'm only saying that, under religions like Islam...well take a look at Islam lead Countries.

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 5967 Pts   -  
    I am split between Socrates and Aristotle. Socrates created logic as we know it, which became a basis for our entire cultural, scientific and technological evolution. And Aristotle put that logic into an efficient and comprehensive framework which allowed thinkers to easily share ideas using a common scientific language.

Both had questionable ideas, but then, who does not? I may disagree with the authoritarian views of Socrates, or traditionalist views of Aristotle, but there is no doubt that they were powerhouses that defined the world for millennia to come. Without them, we would live in a very different world, whether for good or bad.

I will also mention the worst historical figure: Julius Caesar. Now, do not get me wrong: the man was a genius and had fairly noble intentions. However, his desire to fix the world all by himself got a hold on him, and this launched a process of demolition of the product of centuries of Western evolution, leading ultimately to return to the traditional autocratic and religious values, plunging the world into dark times that only really reverted to where the world was before Caesar by the times of Renaissance. Over 1500 years of unbelievable human suffering were a result of one single event: a populist using wide support from the population to demolish democratic institutes in the leading nation on Earth.

Abraham Lincoln arguably did to the US what Caesar did to Rome. Luckily, we live at the times when the government no longer plays a definitive role in people's lives, so the damage was not enough to demolish everything created by the Founding Fathers. It was not until Wilson and Roosevelt that the liberty institutions started being swept under the rug, and we are still much freer than the Romans were just 30 years after Caesar's assassination.
  • TKDBTKDB 694 Pts   -  
    https://m.ranker.com/crowdranked-list/the-most-influential-people-of-all-time

Jesus Christ is listed or ranked 1 on the list The Most Influential People of All Time
    Photo: Metaweb (FB)/Public domain
    "Jesus, also referred to as Jesus of Nazareth, is the central figure of Christianity, whom the teachings of most Christian denominations hold to be the Son of God. Christianity regards Jesus as the awaited Messiah of the Old Testament and refers to him as Jesus Christ, a name that is also used in non-Christian contexts. Virtually all modern scholars of antiquity agree that Jesus existed historically, although the quest for the historical Jesus has produced little agreement on the historical reliability of the Gospels and on how closely the biblical Jesus reflects the historical Jesus. Most scholars agree that Jesus was a Jewish rabbi from Galilee who preached his message orally, was baptized ...more on Wikipedia

Birthplace:Judea

Profession:Carpenter, Prophet, Preacher

Cause Of Death:Crucifixion"

• EheyeEheye 2 Pts   -  
    It is a silly question, but I will attempt a thoughtful answer.

I think Abraham. He is a central character in the Torah, the Quran and the Bible. He has been a central figure in more lives than anyone else I can think of. 
  • Martin Luther King Jr. is to me the greatest historical figure in history. He helped put a stop to segregation in his area, he is very inspirational and is a great man. He is a major reason that we are allowed to be equal as the white man.