frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

Younger generations tend to be more democratic and more liberals. Agree?

Debate Information

According to pewresearch, it seems that younger generations tend to be more democrats and liberal.  That trend is growing. Do you agree?

A wider partisan and ideological gap between younger, older generations

The generation gap in American politics is dividing two younger age groups, Millennials and Generation X, from the two older groups, Baby Boomers and the Silent Generation.

In 2016, as in recent years, Millennials and Gen Xers were the most Democratic generations. And both groups had relatively large – and growing – shares of liberal Democrats: 27% of Millennials and 21% of Gen Xers identified as liberal Democrats or Democratic-leaning independents.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/03/20/a-wider-partisan-and-ideological-gap-between-younger-older-generations/

1. Live Poll

?

7 votes
    1. Yes
      100.00%
    2. No
        0.00%
Live Long and Prosper

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• love2debatelove2debate 186 Pts   -  
    I agree from empirical evidence that younger generation is more Dem and Liberal.
  • That makes sense to me, although there are many exceptions to this rule.  It is disturbing though to learn that there is a growing trend in younger generations for being liberals.
  • CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -  
    It's the old saw; if you're in your 20s and not a liberal you have no heart, if you're in your 30s and not a conservative you have no brain.
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    I guess that trend is becoming stronger based on the data provided.
    Live Long and Prosper
  • WhyTrumpWhyTrump 234 Pts   -  
    I agree.  More young people share democratic views
    WhyTrump - a good question
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5970 Pts   -  
    Young people have a fresh, innocent outlook on the world; they believe in things humans naturally strive for: freedom, peace, love - and their mind tells them that these things are achievable on the societal scale, people just need to stop being governed by fears and, instead, take a step towards the good things.

As a person grows up, however, they experience a lot of unpleasant human interactions. On the news they see wars, terrorist attacks, crime, betrayal. In interactions with other children, they face bullying and fights. Among adults, they encounter grumpy people broken by hard life and bitter and hateful towards the word. 

As these negative experiences accumulate and shock the young mind again and again, the person starts giving up and slowly moves towards conformity with people beaten by life into submission. They stop believing in the happy end and start focusing on ways to minimize damage instead. They advocate for more authoritarian and dictatorial methods to prevent other people from hurting them again, they start looking for the government that will protect them from unpleasant experiences at the expense of others' freedoms. In the extreme cases, in the end you have bitter old guys such as Trump or Sanders, who believe that the world is an evil scary miserable place, and the only way to save it from impending doom is to turn to one of the authoritarian ideologies, throwing away all positive ideas and trying to bring everyone to the single order.

Some people resist. I believe that I have preserved my positive outlook on the world and stand by for the same ideas of freedom and mutual support as the ones that warmed my heard when I was a little child. However, life did not leave me completely unscarred. Just as everyone else, I have irrational fears based on painful experiences that left a mark on me and made me paranoid with regards to their possible repetition. I do not let those fears affect what I stand for at the core, but I would be extremely dishonest to say that my behavior is never hypocritical and I always act based on what I believe in and not what makes me accepted in the adult society.

---

What is interesting is that many older people often revert back to the ideas of democracy and liberty. As they retire, the constant economical and working pressure ends and they realize that everything they pursued all this time was not really that important, compared to the eventual end and the potential regrets of a wasted life this end can bring. They them reexamine their values and decide that the world of lurking dangers was merely an illusion they made up to easier deal with emotional pain, while the actual world is an awesome place with a lot of beauty. You see them often just sitting in a chair and looking at trees, as they return to what made them happy back when they were children: simply enjoying life, not worrying about insubstantial temporary things. 

Which is another factor that makes me believe that humans are fundamentally optimistic and free-loving. It is our poor ability to deal with negative experiences logically that makes us into servants of controlling ideologies and get us to sacrifice liberty for imaginary security.
  • CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -  
    MayCaesar said:
    Young people have a fresh, innocent outlook on the world; they believe in things humans naturally strive for: freedom, peace, love - and their mind tells them that these things are achievable on the societal scale, people just need to stop being governed by fears and, instead, take a step towards the good things.

As a person grows up, however, they experience a lot of unpleasant human interactions. On the news they see wars, terrorist attacks, crime, betrayal. In interactions with other children, they face bullying and fights. Among adults, they encounter grumpy people broken by hard life and bitter and hateful towards the word. 

As these negative experiences accumulate and shock the young mind again and again, the person starts giving up and slowly moves towards conformity with people beaten by life into submission. They stop believing in the happy end and start focusing on ways to minimize damage instead. They advocate for more authoritarian and dictatorial methods to prevent other people from hurting them again, they start looking for the government that will protect them from unpleasant experiences at the expense of others' freedoms. In the extreme cases, in the end you have bitter old guys such as Trump or Sanders, who believe that the world is an evil scary miserable place, and the only way to save it from impending doom is to turn to one of the authoritarian ideologies, throwing away all positive ideas and trying to bring everyone to the single order.

Some people resist. I believe that I have preserved my positive outlook on the world and stand by for the same ideas of freedom and mutual support as the ones that warmed my heard when I was a little child. However, life did not leave me completely unscarred. Just as everyone else, I have irrational fears based on painful experiences that left a mark on me and made me paranoid with regards to their possible repetition. I do not let those fears affect what I stand for at the core, but I would be extremely dishonest to say that my behavior is never hypocritical and I always act based on what I believe in and not what makes me accepted in the adult society.

---

What is interesting is that many older people often revert back to the ideas of democracy and liberty. As they retire, the constant economical and working pressure ends and they realize that everything they pursued all this time was not really that important, compared to the eventual end and the potential regrets of a wasted life this end can bring. They them reexamine their values and decide that the world of lurking dangers was merely an illusion they made up to easier deal with emotional pain, while the actual world is an awesome place with a lot of beauty. You see them often just sitting in a chair and looking at trees, as they return to what made them happy back when they were children: simply enjoying life, not worrying about insubstantial temporary things. 

Which is another factor that makes me believe that humans are fundamentally optimistic and free-loving. It is our poor ability to deal with negative experiences logically that makes us into servants of controlling ideologies and get us to sacrifice liberty for imaginary security.

Wow, what a REALLY poor analysis.  Young people strive for freedom?!?  California has just passed a law that authorizes jail time for a server who offers a plastic straw to a patron.  It certainly wasn't old people who led the initiative, it wasn't even old people who came up with the idea.  The idea was based on a 9 year old's grade-school class project.  The Association of Mature American Citizens isn't leading the charge against "trigger words" or for "safe spaces".  Young people are. The fact is, young people have no experience and no perspective, every problem is the worst ever.  They are gullible; easily led by those seeking to consolidate power into the government  to believe that the government must take action on every little problem and set-back.  As people mature, they want more freedom.  They realize they make better choices for themselves than unaccountable bureaucrats.  They turn away from the authoritarian nanny state.
  • George_HorseGeorge_Horse 499 Pts   -  
    I've seen kids be more conservative than being liberal for me. I would not agree. Anyways this was in 2017, so I guess that poll would be outdated by now. 
    Nathaniel_B
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? " ~Epicurus

"A communist is like a crocodile" ~Winston Churchill

We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.~Orson Welles