frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Should a group of humans have the right to own something in space?

Debate Information

I will be the first trillion air. I have the perfect plan on how to do it. Their is just one problem. Right now space belongs to no one and every one. No one person of group can claim something like a planet (sounds reasonable) or an asteroid (noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!). Should this rule be reconsiders as we get closer to being a space base society? (it would be weird to be colonizing other place but not being able to own that area.) What do you people think?

Also you might want to check out this story. http://www.xplorationstation.com/stories/Man-Sues-NASA-For-Landing-On-His-Asteroid
Should NASA have paid the 20$ or not?

1. Live Poll

Should a group of humans have the right to own something in space?

11 votes
    1. Down with the rule! Capitalism for the win
      18.18%
    2. No one can have it! (The aliens might get mad)
      27.27%
    3. I don't know or I just want to see the pulls.
      18.18%
    4. That rule should remain.
      18.18%
    5. The flying spaggety monster. ; )
      18.18%
  2. Live Poll

Should NASA have paid the 20$ or not?

11 votes
    1. Of course not
      45.45%
    2. Nasa should have. The parked on his astroid
      18.18%
    3. I don't know or I wan't to not not see the pulls
      27.27%
    4. Down with the flying spaggety monster!
        9.09%
    5. All of the above.
        0.00%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• PoguePogue 584 Pts   -  
    Space should not be owned by an individual person but by humans as a whole. We do not want space monopolies, now do we. As for the aliens part of the poll, how do we they have a sense of ownership? 
    TreeMan
    I could either have the future pass me or l could create it. 

“We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain .” - Benjamin Franklin  So flat Earthers, man-made climate change deniers, and just science deniers.

I friended myself! 
  • NopeNope 397 Pts   -  
    Pogue
    You may think space should not be owned by a person but what about a part of space. When people start colonizing space like a plot on the moon should they not own that plot? How would they make sure other people don't start building on the same plot of moon as they are building?
  • AmpersandAmpersand 858 Pts   -  
    No at least as far as the example in the OP goes, we're talking about the entire rest of the universe. We shouldn't allow someone to just say "All this is mine" and for that to carry any weight.

I'd like to see communal ownership of property in space with it being used for the overall public benefit, but for private ownership I think a bare minimum necessary is that someone needs to be able to interact with the claimed property in some way to claim it.

Nope said:
    Pogue
    You may think space should not be owned by a person but what about a part of space. When people start colonizing space like a plot on the moon should they not own that plot? How would they make sure other people don't start building on the same plot of moon as they are building?
    The people who are buying this land in space are not the same people who are actually going up there and doing anything. As per the story in the first link the people who were actually going up there and doing stuff in space (NASA) were being hampered by someone who did nothing more than sign a form and then start making claims about what he did and did not own. So in fact we see that private ownership - at least in the manner we have at the moment and that seems to be up for debate - potentially hampers space development.
  • FredsnephewFredsnephew 361 Pts   -  
    Some time in the future colonising the moon and nearby planets maybe a realistic possibility.

The right or wrong of ownership by an individual or group is merely a conceptual notion.

As ever, this issue will probably be decided by wealth and power and not by a collective altruistic agreement. 
  • GrenacheGrenache 65 Pts   -  
    You should only be able to send something you own into space, or if you manage to bring a sample back home to claim that sample.  Neither you nor any company or nation has a right to claim celestial bodies as property.
  • NopeNope 397 Pts   -  
    In order for me to be the first trillion air I wan't to start a company that mines asteroids. I wan't to pull a near by asteroid in to earths orbit where I can mine it resources. The average asteroid are often worth billions of dollars. The only problem is if I pull the asteroids in to orbit around earth other space company will likely start mining the same asteroid I would be mining because their is nothing stopping them. The first problem is if I pull the asteroid in to earths orbit I would be spending extra money while the other space organizations piggyback on my work. The second problem is that large conflicts are likely to occur as many companies try to get as much resource from the same asteroid. The third problem is I won't get as rich. : ( If the agreement remains I might instead have to get in the the asteroid tugging business where many companies pay me to tug an asteroid in to orbit. Not as profitable but that way I can avoid the messy all mining one asteroid business.
  • someone234someone234 647 Pts   -  
    @anonymousdebater Do you think they will be so merciful to us? Enemy is an enemy until it's an ally.

Either we are with the aliens or we must compete with them brutally, don't play middleman it will end very badly.
  • NopeNope 397 Pts   -  
    someone234 Alien life can appear in unexpected ways. Simple life or unintelligent life should be left on their planets alone as we may be a danger to them and they may be a danger to us. How more intelligent life thinks and acts is unknown. We know nothing of their behavior and should not assume their actions ore intentions. Competing with aliens brutally may not be a good idea. If their intelligent the may easy have the technology needed to wipe us out. Also I see know reason to believe me making a lot of money from mining asteroids is going to cause problems with aliens.
  • someone234someone234 647 Pts   -   edited March 2018
    @Nope If they are so advanced that their defences are superior to ours to such an extent that their brutality to us has no foreseeable comeback then we must ask ourselves why they haven't obliterated us.

It's 0.00001% chance that the reason they are not hurting us, if they are that superior in strategic war advancement, is because we are being neutral them. It's 99.99999% chance that they are therefore a good ally to us and we can work with that bunch of aliens to dominate the other more sinister ones.
  • joecavalryjoecavalry 430 Pts   -  
    Yes, but it should be regulated by the government.
    DebateIslander and a DebateIsland.com lover.