frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Should mankind's space agencies invest in the exploration of space?

Debate Information

The space programs of both the USA and the USSR became perhaps the most important prestige projects of the Cold War. From the launch of Sputnik - the first artificial satellite - in 1957, through to the first human spaceflight by Yuri Gagarin in 1961, the first moon landing in 1969, and beyond, both superpowers invested huge amounts of money in order to outdo each other in the so-called ‘space race’. At the time, this was a convenient project to choose: while it allowed the two nations to compete in a supposedly peaceful area, proving their scientific achievements, the work on rockets also fed directly into work on the inter-continental ballistic missiles which would allow them to strike at each other with nuclear weapons in the event of war. Since the end of the Cold War, however, the future of space exploration has become less clear. Russia no longer has the resources to invest in a substantial space program; without an enemy to compete with, the USA has also cut back on its exploration programmes. The emphasis is now on missions which are ‘faster, better, cheaper’ – grand projects such as the Voyager missions of the late 1970s seem unlikely to be repeated. In particular, the commitment to the manned exploration of space has almost disappeared; although potential missions to Mars are occasionally mentioned in the press, there are no solid plans to send human beings to another planet in the short to medium term. Now, with the launch of the Falcon Heavy and reusable rockets, should we invest more into space exploration?

Note: If any response is "space is fake" or something close to that, it will be deleted. 
  1. Live Poll

Should mankind invest in the exploration of space?

6 votes
    1. Yes
      83.33%
    2. No
      16.67%
I could either have the future pass me or l could create it. 

“We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain .” - Benjamin Franklin  So flat Earthers, man-made climate change deniers, and just science deniers.

I friended myself! 

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• NopeNope 397 Pts   -   edited March 2018
    Humans should invest more in space exploration. They should start by landing people on the moon again where they can set up a moon base similarly to bases that may be made on Mars. This way if something goes wrong they will no before they are not close to home. Many more experiments can also be performed on the moon. Mars is also a good destination. There are also nearby comets and asteroids that should be considered as exploration destinations (I still want to be the first trillion air).
    Pogue
  • someone234someone234 647 Pts   -   edited March 2018
    Most aliens are not like us, they are four five or even six dimensional and could wipe us out of they felt like it. We should not mess with them.
    Pogue
  • PoguePogue 584 Pts   -  
    @someone234
    And you know this because ...

“We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain .” - Benjamin Franklin  So flat Earthers, man-made climate change deniers, and just science deniers.

I friended myself! 
  • FredsnephewFredsnephew 361 Pts   -  
    Investment is a concept.

The reality is that at some point in the future, the continued existence of Life on Earth will be put under threat.

Therefore, to ensure the continued existence of organic life as we know it. 

Space exploration should be an imperative, not a financial consideration.

We will just have to take our chances with those multi-dimensional alien folk!
    @Pogue they Contact some of us. Sometimes under the guise of God, sometimes under the guise of the Devil.

With me, they came first as angels but I questioned and questioned their motives until it became clear:

There are some good aliens, some sinister aliens, some rational and thus neutral aliens and some hyper passionate ones that are just not interested in humans.

There's more to it, but so far I try hard to communicate with the first clan even though the sinister one genuinely likes me too.

The sinister one helped me convince you to give me the win for instance whereas the good aliens were telling me to simply leave the site as it was corrupt. The sinister taught me to master the corruption.
  • PoguePogue 584 Pts   -  
    @Pogue they Contact some of us. Sometimes under the guise of God, sometimes under the guise of the Devil.

With me, they came first as angels but I questioned and questioned their motives until it became clear:

There are some good aliens, some sinister aliens, some rational and thus neutral aliens and some hyper passionate ones that are just not interested in humans.

There's more to it, but so far I try hard to communicate with the first clan even though the sinister one genuinely likes me too.

The sinister one helped me convince you to give me the win for instance whereas the good aliens were telling me to simply leave the site as it was corrupt. The sinister taught me to master the corruption.
    Do you know why they are interested in you? Are you imagining things or dreaming? Do you have actual proof besides your words?

I friended myself! 
  • someone234someone234 647 Pts   -  
    @Pogue you have proof of nothing outside of your senses and memories. Same goes for me.

They have ways including repeating number patterns and song lyrics or movie quotes that will clearly address you. If you ignore it in fear of being deemed crazy, you'll stay as unassisted by them as before.
  • PoguePogue 584 Pts   -  
    That does not answer the question of why it is you? You get visions or something but do you have other evidence besides that? 

I friended myself! 
    @Pogue I wanted visions from day one. A sudden monster to appear before me and talk to me, a sudden alien image to open it's mouth and say hello but no, I am not hallucinating.

At worst, I have some mild schizophrenic paranoia. They do not contact through actual "contact" their style is much more low-key than that.

This is a debate about space exploration and I assure you, if you find anything that threatens their secrecy on a physical evidence level, they will either recruit you or obliterate you. I want to be recruited but for now I'm just their neutral.
  • PoguePogue 584 Pts   -  
    Most aliens are not like us, they are four five or even six dimensional and could wipe us out of they felt like it. We should not mess with them.
    The fourth dimension is time. Please tell me you do not believe in String theory, that has no evidence. "Experimental results from the Large Hadron Collider show no evidence of the extra dimensions or supersymmetry that string theorists had argued for as "predictions" of string theory." https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/cross-check/why-string-theory-is-still-not-even-wrong/

I friended myself! 
  • PoguePogue 584 Pts   -  
    @Pogue I wanted visions from day one. A sudden monster to appear before me and talk to me, a sudden alien image to open it's mouth and say hello but no, I am not hallucinating.

At worst, I have some mild schizophrenic paranoia. They do not contact through actual "contact" their style is much more low-key than that.

This is a debate about space exploration and I assure you, if you find anything that threatens their secrecy on a physical evidence level, they will either recruit you or obliterate you. I want to be recruited but for now I'm just their neutral.
    You have no evidence to support that though. Just saying it happened

I friended myself! 
    @Pogue string theory evolved into m theory which has an extra dimension. If you deny that there are eleven dimensions or at least ten, then your alternate theory is what?
  • PoguePogue 584 Pts   -  
    Now, can we actually debate with evidence? 

I friended myself! 
    @Pogue alright what three dimensional, physical evidence do you have that aliens are not contacting us and haven't already set foot?
    Do you think Jesus and Muhammad were talking to themselves?
    Pogue
  • PoguePogue 584 Pts   -  
    @Pogue string theory evolved into m theory which has an extra dimension. If you deny that there are eleven dimensions or at least ten, then your alternate theory is what?
    Can you back the theory with experiments? From my current understanding of physics, 4. Width, height, depth, and time. These are confirmed. 

I friended myself! 
    Pogue said:

The most complex crime-lords were taken down by witness testimony leading to further clues never by raw evidence because they barely ever left any.
  • PoguePogue 584 Pts   -  
    @Pogue alright what three dimensional, physical evidence do you have that aliens are not contacting us and haven't already set foot?
    Do you think Jesus and Muhammad were talking to themselves?
    So, they only want to communicate with primitive humans? We send radio waves that they do not want to intercept. Please. do not bring religion into this! Can we actually debate? Like people not wanting it because there are no uses

I friended myself! 
  • PoguePogue 584 Pts   -  
    Pogue said:

The most complex crime-lords were taken down by witness testimony leading to further clues never by raw evidence because they barely ever left any.
    You give no details on it. I know they are taken down by witness testimony but we could not observe it in a higher dimension

I friended myself! 
    @Pogue time yes, the four dimensional being travels in time but doesn't perceive time. The five dimensional being perceives time and begins to be able to be in two places at once. The six dimensional being can begin to play around with laws of physics including time and be conscious in applying their bodies at once.

The seven dimensional being does the same but senses others breaking the laws of physics. It can act to stop this.

The eight and nine dimensional beings are so complex that in words I can't even explain it.

The ten dimensional being can recode reality but only one dimension per being. The eleven dimensional being can code all at once. Fate is an eleventh dimensional being and God is ten.
  • PoguePogue 584 Pts   -  
    @Pogue time yes, the four dimensional being travels in time but doesn't perceive time. The five dimensional being perceives time and begins to be able to be in two places at once. The six dimensional being can begin to play around with laws of physics including time and be conscious in applying their bodies at once.

The seven dimensional being does the same but senses others breaking the laws of physics. It can act to stop this.

The eight and nine dimensional beings are so complex that in words I can't even explain it.

The ten dimensional being can recode reality but only one dimension per being. The eleven dimensional being can code all at once. Fate is an eleventh dimensional being and God is ten.
    What are you even talking about? Do you have actual evidence or experiments we can perform to confirm this? 

I friended myself! 
    @Pogue if you prove the aliens, they can go back in time and stop it.

Think what you're arguing here.
  • PoguePogue 584 Pts   -  
    @Pogue if you prove the aliens, they can go back in time and stop it.

Think what you're arguing here.
    So, they make themselves known to you, but proving them makes them go back in time. Can we actually argue using known facts on why space travel would be good are bad? 

I friended myself! 
    @Pogue investing in something is fine, just don't come crying when your mind gets replaced with what they prefer it to be because you looked too hard.
    The supernatural will not have mercy if we do not let them stay secret.
  • PoguePogue 584 Pts   -  
    @someone234 ok whatever?
    I will argue that space travel is good now and if you want an actual debate, let me know.
    A benefit is the advancement of technology. The technology developed for space exploration has and will continue to extend to myriad other things. Image processing moved from the moon to the medical field, and technological advancements in cancer treatment, solar panels, lightweight materials, digital data storage, water purification, and satellite communication systems have all come from space programs and exploration. Not to mention memory foam! Who knows what sort of incredible advancements (and creature comforts) are in store for the future.

I friended myself! 
    @Pogue so you justify it because the tech is better used in fields like medicine and IT???
    Pogue
  • PoguePogue 584 Pts   -  
    @someone234
    No. It was that space travel and exploration has always led to technological advancements and it could be used in medicine. 
    Here are 20 inventions we would not have without it.
    https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/infographics/infographic.view.php?id=11358

Another advantage is that it creates jobs and opportunities which can be taxed to fund the space agencies and other programs and more people can have more money which means (likely) that since they did not have that money before (poor/middle-class) they would spend it in the economy. 
    "Space exploration doesn’t just involve scientist and astronauts; it also requires the skills and labor of many engineers, research assistants, technicians, mechanics, and other professionals. If space exploration would be stopped today, these people would become jobless, and they won’t have the means to support themselves and their families.

The good thing about this is that space exploration programs show no signs of stopping, and they’re expected to get bigger in the coming years. This means that more jobs would be created, which can significantly help with the employment problems that many countries face." https://futureofworking.com/7-advantages-and-disadvantages-of-space-exploration/

I friended myself! 
    @Pogue The examples you gave of advanced tech all provided uses that were not space exploration to make them 'great'.
  • PoguePogue 584 Pts   -  
    @someone234
    You clearly do not understand my point. Space exploration and trying to advance space travel lead to these advances. 

I friended myself! 
    @Pogue So because space exploration uses of tech that proved to be semi-useless led to massive innovations of the same tech in fields that were not space exploration that proves that if we keep trying space exploration it will be good?

Hitler's concentration camps and the human-labrat-ethics he had when experimenting on the Jews have led to many advancements. The war itself forced UK to invent what we now know as computers and the Internet when trying to decode Hitler's messages. Does this mean we should repeat WW2 or repeat Nazi Germany? No, it does not.
    Pogue
  • PoguePogue 584 Pts   -  
    @Pogue So because space exploration uses of tech that proved to be semi-useless led to massive innovations of the same tech in fields that were not space exploration that proves that if we keep trying space exploration it will be good?

Hitler's concentration camps and the human-labrat-ethics he had when experimenting on the Jews have led to many advancements. The war itself forced UK to invent what we now know as computers and the Internet when trying to decode Hitler's messages. Does this mean we should repeat WW2 or repeat Nazi Germany? No, it does not.
    False comparison fallacy. Concentration camps are nothing like space exploration. You also have not challenged my economy point. Space exploration, which you have not provided anything to make it seem negative (besides your unproved string theory alien stuff). It also leads to a greater understanding of out universe. 

I friended myself! 
    @Pogue Somewhat greater understanding sure. The current amount we are investing in it is leading to more and more understanding, this is about putting in more than currently is put in.
    Pogue
  • PoguePogue 584 Pts   -  
    @Pogue Somewhat greater understanding sure. The current amount we are investing in it is leading to more and more understanding, this is about putting in more than currently is put in.
    "Undoubtedly, space exploration has answered the question of whether the Earth is round or not and proved that the Earth does revolve around the sun (and not the other way around). But it does much more than that: it gives people a deeper insight into the universe and provides them with more information about the world they live in. It helps them realize that their problems aren’t really that debilitating in the grand scheme of things while reminding them of how fortunate they are to be part of the vast and majestic universe."
    Here, watch this video.  It would be a lot quicker and so we will find out about the universe much quicker. 
    Also, since you have not responded to my other argument, I shall repost them. 

To your WW2 one. False comparison fallacy. Concentration camps are nothing like space exploration. You also have not challenged my economy point. Space exploration, which you have not provided anything to make it seem negative (besides your unproved string theory alien stuff). It also leads to a greater understanding of our universe. 

Here are the jobs and economy. No. It was that space travel and exploration has always led to technological advancements and it could be used in medicine. 

Another advantage is that it creates jobs and opportunities which can be taxed to fund the space agencies and other programs and more people can have more money which means (likely) that since they did not have that money before (poor/middle-class) they would spend it in the economy. 
    "Space exploration doesn’t just involve scientist and astronauts; it also requires the skills and labor of many engineers, research assistants, technicians, mechanics, and other professionals. If space exploration would be stopped today, these people would become jobless, and they won’t have the means to support themselves and their families.

The good thing about this is that space exploration programs show no signs of stopping, and they’re expected to get bigger in the coming years. This means that more jobs would be created, which can significantly help with the employment problems that many countries face." https://futureofworking.com/7-advantages-and-disadvantages-of-space-exploration/

Technological advancement. The technology developed for space exploration has and will continue to extend to myriad other things. Image processing moved from the moon to the medical field, and technological advancements in cancer treatment, solar panels, lightweight materials, digital data storage, water purification, and satellite communication systems have all come from space programs and exploration. Not to mention memory foam! Who knows what sort of incredible advancements (and creature comforts) are in store for the future.

I friended myself! 
    @Pogue that video doesn't explain what other fields can do MORE CERTAINLY and MORE PER DOLLAR for that 600B :)
  • PoguePogue 584 Pts   -  
    @Pogue that video doesn't explain what other fields can do MORE CERTAINLY and MORE PER DOLLAR for that 600B :)
    What you said does not make grammatical sense or sense at all. You also seem to not try and explain and debunk my argument except for a small part. :(
    To your WW2 one. False comparison fallacy. Concentration camps are nothing like space exploration. You also have not challenged my economy point. Space exploration, which you have not provided anything to make it seem negative (besides your unproved string theory alien stuff). It also leads to a greater understanding of our universe. 

"Undoubtedly, space exploration has answered the question of whether the Earth is round or not and proved that the Earth does revolve around the sun (and not the other way around). But it does much more than that: it gives people a deeper insight into the universe and provides them with more information about the world they live in. It helps them realize that their problems aren’t really that debilitating in the grand scheme of things while reminding them of how fortunate they are to be part of the vast and majestic universe."

Here are the jobs and economy. No. It was that space travel and exploration has always led to technological advancements and it could be used in medicine. 

Technological advancement. The technology developed for space exploration has and will continue to extend to myriad other things. Image processing moved from the moon to the medical field, and technological advancements in cancer treatment, solar panels, lightweight materials, digital data storage, water purification, and satellite communication systems have all come from space programs and exploration. Not to mention memory foam! Who knows what sort of incredible advancements (and creature comforts) are in store for the future.

Another reason is that and for our long-term survival. As it stands, all of humanity’s eggs are in one small basket called “Earth”. It is only a matter of time before something happens to our planet that is so devastating that it changes the course of life as we know it. Whether the disaster is natural, like a rogue comet, or self-inflicted, like nuclear war or man-made climate change, it is possible that our home will no longer be habitable. If our planet is not habitable, we could not live here and so, without a second planet, we will be extinct. What happens, then, to all of the accomplishments of the last thousand generations of humans? All of our art, our music, our literature, our science, even our very genes could be wiped out. Unless, of course, there are a few humans living elsewhere in the solar system. Space exploration and colonization of the Moon and Mars are an insurance policy for humanity and all of our achievements. 

A final point, for now, is that it could help relations with other countries. "Large space exploration projects are almost always the result of international cooperation. The International Space Station is the most obvious example, but the space shuttle regularly has astronauts from other nations, and many robotic missions include instruments built by teams in other countries. As NASA gears up to return to the moon, precursor missions from JapanIndiaChina, and Russia are already in orbit, are planned, or are under construction. Future human Mars missions will almost certainly involve multiple space agencies to spread the cost among several nations." https://martianchronicles.wordpress.com/2008/04/16/nine-good-reasons-for-space-exploration/

I friended myself! 
    @Pogue it requires good international relations, it doesnt mend them
    @Pogue if the aliens want to save us, they will.
  • PoguePogue 584 Pts   -  
    @Pogue if the aliens want to save us, they will.
    Can you confirm that aliens exist? 

I friended myself! 
    @Pogue I confirm it yes.
  • PoguePogue 584 Pts   -  
    @Pogue it requires good international relations, it doesnt mend them
    Never said it does mend it. It helps it. "One of the benefits of space exploration is international cooperation. Although the Age of Space began in a fiercely competitive mode, political and funding realities have now shifted the balance toward cooperation. This is particularly true in the case of the International Space Station, with its 16 partner nations. And it promises to be increasingly true with the Vision for Space Exploration.  

The reality of international cooperation was brought home to me at a recent "International Workshop on Exploration Science," sponsored by NASA and held at College Park Maryland, March 8-10, 2005. The fourth in a series of international meetings over the last year, this one was attended by the space agencies of 21 countries, 13 multinational organizations, and seven U. S. government organizations. It is not so widely known, but true, that international cooperation goes beyond the Space Station itself. Participants pointed out that, for example, fully half of the last 60 space science missions have had international participation. And in the last ten years, NASA has carried out more than 900 agreements with 68 countries." https://www.nasa.gov/exploration/whyweexplore/Why_We_10.html

So, to your WW2 one. False comparison fallacy. Concentration camps are nothing like space exploration. You also have not challenged my economy point. Space exploration, which you have not provided anything to make it seem negative (besides your unproved string theory alien stuff). It also leads to a greater understanding of our universe. 

Another reason is that and for our long-term survival. As it stands, all of humanity’s eggs are in one small basket called “Earth”. It is only a matter of time before something happens to our planet that is so devastating that it changes the course of life as we know it. Whether the disaster is natural, like a rogue comet, or self-inflicted, like nuclear war or man-made climate change, it is possible that our home will no longer be habitable. If our planet is not habitable, we could not live here and so, without a second planet, we will be extinct. What happens, then, to all of the accomplishments of the last thousand generations of humans? All of our art, our music, our literature, our science, even our very genes could be wiped out. Unless, of course, there are a few humans living elsewhere in the solar system. Space exploration and colonization of the Moon and Mars are an insurance policy for humanity and all of our achievements. 

A final point, for now, is that it could help relations with other countries. "Large space exploration projects are almost always the result of international cooperation. The International Space Station is the most obvious example, but the space shuttle regularly has astronauts from other nations, and many robotic missions include instruments built by teams in other countries. As NASA gears up to return to the moon, precursor missions from JapanIndiaChina, and Russia are already in orbit, are planned, or are under construction. Future human Mars missions will almost certainly involve multiple space agencies to spread the cost among several nations." https://martianchronicles.wordpress.com/2008/04/16/nine-good-reasons-for-space-exploration/

I friended myself! 
  • PoguePogue 584 Pts   -  
    @Pogue I confirm it yes.
    And besides, you say they are, do you have proof besides your "experiences". 

I friended myself! 
    @Pogue THAT ARTICLE SAYS IT HELPS IT BUT IT DOESN'T.

Requiring somethign to be good isn't making that thing good.
  • PoguePogue 584 Pts   -  
    @Pogue THAT ARTICLE SAYS IT HELPS IT BUT IT DOESN'T.

Requiring somethign to be good isn't making that thing good.
    1. Can you try and debunk the other benefits please (if you can)?
    2. You provide no evidence on how. 

I friended myself! 
    @Pogue When the aliens who want to hurt us show up, you will thank the people like me who made the aliens like us because our allies will be the ones who put them in the dirt.
  • PoguePogue 584 Pts   -  
    @Pogue When the aliens who want to hurt us show up, you will thank the people like me who made the aliens like us because our allies will be the ones who put them in the dirt.
    That is assuming aliens would have the same sense of ownership and conquer has us. Ok, but can you debunk my points. 

I friended myself! 
    @Pogue You honestly are extremely naive and arrogant to think we are advanced.

Do you honestly think when they went to the moon they came back the same people who went up? The footage? You think you can capture a six dimensional being on your 3-D camera?

The entire crew who came down had been mind-controlled by the aliens.
    Pogue
    You cannot out-research people who are physically double your capacity to do anything (6= 3*2)
  • PoguePogue 584 Pts   -  
    You cannot out-research people who are physically double your capacity to do anything (6= 3*2)
    There is no proof of what you are saying except your words. If they (the friendly ones) wanted to protect and help us, they would have communicated with world leaders or scientists. If they can do anything double my capacity, they would be able to communicate with us. A higher dimensional being could see us but we cannot see them according to string theory. 

I friended myself! 
  • PoguePogue 584 Pts   -  
    @Pogue You honestly are extremely naive and arrogant to think we are advanced.

Do you honestly think when they went to the moon they came back the same people who went up? The footage? You think you can capture a six dimensional being on your 3-D camera?

The entire crew who came down had been mind-controlled by the aliens.
    I do not think we are advanced. I never said anything od the sort. We are only a 0.72 civilization. 

I friended myself! 
  • PoguePogue 584 Pts   -  
    Nope said:
    Humans should invest more in space exploration. They should start by landing people on the moon again where they can set up a moon base similarly to bases that may be made on mars. This way if something goes wrong they will no before they are not close to home. Many more expiremnets can also be performed on the moon. Mars is also a good destination. Their are also near by comets and asteroids that should be considered as exploration destinations (I still wan't to be the first trillion air).
    What type of experiments and is there any other reason we should do it? Not to be rude, but you should fix your grammar. 

I friended myself!