frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Money can buy happiness

Debate Information

Is expression "money can't buy happiness" just a decoy for poor people?
sure, money can't fix lots of issues and there are examples where it doesn't help - but, in most cases it can actually buy "happiness"
  1. Live Poll

Money can buy happiness

5 votes
    1. Yes
      60.00%
    2. No
      40.00%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• PoguePogue 584 Pts   -  
    Yes, it can! "An international research team has demonstrated that you really can make yourself happier by paying other people to do your time-consuming chores.

It doesn't matter whether you're rich or poor, the new study suggests. If you feel pressed for time, your life satisfaction can be improved by trading money for minutes that you can use as you wish." and "What they lost in currency, they made up for in happiness. Whillans and her colleagues found that the people who traded money for a time were more satisfied with life than their counterparts who didn't. They also were less likely to say they felt "time stress," a condition that was linked with lower levels of life satisfaction." Where it says "rich or poor" it means that it works for both. http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-money-time-happiness-20170724-story.html

lexman
    I could either have the future pass me or l could create it. 

“We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain .” - Benjamin Franklin  So flat Earthers, man-made climate change deniers, and just science deniers.

I friended myself! 
  • someone234someone234 647 Pts   -  
    An unhappy person will not use their money to become happier.

A happy person copes a lot better when lacking it.

It's a catch-22.

Happy people are happier when richer. Unhappy people are just as miserable.

First become a psychologically happy person, then money brings joy.
  • FredsnephewFredsnephew 361 Pts   -  
    What is happiness?

Happiness is just a descriptive word. 

A word that is not exclusively applicable to one particular situation.

In fact, the harder I think about it the harder it becomes to pin down, which particular moments can rightly be described as happy moments.

I would suggest that most lives are far to routine, to enable an existence of perpetual happiness.

I would also suggest that rich lives can be just as routine as poor lives.

Contentment is a far better descriptive, of how we choose to positively respond to a given situation.

If we choose to, we can respond positively to most situations, regardless of how much money we have.

By choice, I am not only referring to conscious decision making. 

But also how we as individuals might react to a given situation at a subconscious level.
  • CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -  
    If rich people can't buy happiness, they can certainly afford a better class of misery.
    someone234Fascism
  • someone234someone234 647 Pts   -  
    CYDdharta said:
    If rich people can't buy happiness, they can certainly afford a better class of misery.
    @CYDdharta This is actually true.

You actually said a wise thing.
  • _PRoHacker00__PRoHacker00_ 12 Pts   -  
    Happiness is something that money cannot buy, because happiness is already free in our world. When we are born into this world , we are given a caring family, which we can chat and play with all day long. Friends, which we spend endless memories with, all are sources of happiness. Even if you are poor, the smiles and laughter are what gives birth to our happiness
  • PoguePogue 584 Pts   -   edited March 2018
    Happiness is something that money cannot buy, because happiness is already free in our world. When we are born into this world , we are given a caring family, which we can chat and play with all day long. Friends, which we spend endless memories with, all are sources of happiness. Even if you are poor, the smiles and laughter are what gives birth to our happiness
    Just because you can get something with no money does not mean you can not get it with money. Not everyone has a caring family or friends.
    I could either have the future pass me or l could create it. 

“We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain .” - Benjamin Franklin  So flat Earthers, man-made climate change deniers, and just science deniers.

I friended myself! 
  • NopeNope 397 Pts   -  
    Money can pay for vacations which can make you happier. Also if you don't feel secure you will probably be less happy. Most people do feel secure but if you had no money you would not. Money can be used to pay for activity which makes one happy like going to a amusement park. Depends on what the money is used for but if used well it can buy you happiness. That said many people use their money on things that don't improve their life or only improve their life a little and the money could have been spent better.
    PogueagsrFascism