frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Should schools be giving homework?

Debate Information

There has been a huge debate whether schools should give homework. Many believe that homework is very  beneficial. Others believe it is a waste of time. What do you guys think?
  1. Live Poll

Homework

12 votes
    1. Of course!
      41.67%
    2. What? Homework? I'm moving?
      50.00%
    3. I'm an adult, I honestly don't care.
        8.33%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• NopeNope 397 Pts   -  
    I would rather have longer school days then homework. why assign out of class work if work is better done in class? The exception being things like asking parents questions or stuff like that.
    Pogue
  • MajoMILSdlGMGVMajoMILSdlGMGV 103 Pts   -  
    I think there should be homework but not 3 hour homework. Homework that takes 20 to 30 minutes that will only reinforce what was learned in class. Now a days teachers ask for too much homework. 
    Pogue
  • Khine_KhineKhine_Khine 3 Pts   -  
    yes,i think giving homework is good for students or children. Because doing homework spend our time benefitly and we can do ourselves.
    BaconToes
  • FascismFascism 344 Pts   -  
    I think the whole education system itself is flawed, and homework is one of the things that wastes a student's time. 
  • someone234someone234 647 Pts   -  
    @Fascism You also think Fascism helps humanity.
    Pogue
  • FascismFascism 344 Pts   -   edited March 2018
  • xMathFanxxMathFanx 140 Pts   -  
    Flipped learning is often superior to the traditional classroom
  • FascismFascism 344 Pts   -  
    @xMathFanx Flipped learning works for me. Some of my teachers do it. It allows me study the things I need to, and skip the things I already know. It also makes class more interactive. 

This works for me, but I don't know about others. 
    xMathFanx
  • ndokman20ndokman20 6 Pts   -  
    There should be homework, but not the significant amounts that teachers give out. I feel there should be homework, but just smaller portions of homework.
  • scharles18scharles18 3 Pts   -  
    Seeing as most homework is just busy work used to reinforce what was taught during a class I would argue that homework is not necessary and should only be given if a student requests it in order to study on their own time.
  • cuphuscuphus 8 Pts   -  
    Schools should be giving homework.  Most teachers know how to deal out homework and you can learn from it.  Some teachers though assign busy work and it takes away from the learning and it just turns into busy work meaning having homework every day.  
  • mstoks18mstoks18 14 Pts   -  
    Homework in schools can go both ways. One being helpful for the student to practice a skill on that specific subject. Two, not beneficial and working against the student causing them stress, and being overwhelmed. If there is time in class to work on it great, but if the student understands the concept and could ace the test there is no need. 
  • drodgersdrodgers 35 Pts   -  
    I think there should be homework but not 3 hour homework. Homework that takes 20 to 30 minutes that will only reinforce what was learned in class. Now a days teachers ask for too much homework. 
    You do realize that 20 - 30 minutes per class for seven classes is 2 1/2 hours to 3 1/2 hours of homework per day.

If you meant total, then that's 3-4 minutes per class which would be worthless.
  • BonitaVanhooserBonitaVanhooser 143 Pts   -  
    For school kids, there must be some homework to make them habitual with studies. If I share my personal experience, I am a student at the high school and right I am doing my Management's assignment. My instructor is just like Mr Perfectionist that's why I am writing my assignment after research and to avoid grammatical errors just install premium Grammarly account as last time he detected 5 marks for poor grammar. 

All in all, I think there must be some practical kind of homework should be assigned to high school students rather than writing assignments. 
  • BonitaVanhooserBonitaVanhooser 143 Pts   -  
    For school kids, there must be some homework to make them habitual with studies. If I share my personal experience, I am a student at the high school and right I am doing my Management's assignment. My instructor is just like Mr Perfectionist that's why I am writing my assignment after research and to avoid grammatical errors just install premium Grammarly account as last time he detected 5 marks for poor grammar. 

All in all, I think there must be some practical kind of homework should be assigned to high school students rather than writing assignments.