frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

No Child Left Behind

Debate Information

Resolved: The No Child Left Behind Act should be abolished.

This is an arguable resolution. State below whether you are affirmative, (for) the resolution, or negative, (against) the resolution. In doing so, provide your arguments to support your conclusion. And feel free to debate those who have commented below. 

Resolution Analysis

To view the Act information, you can go here: https://www2.ed.gov/nclb/landing.jhtml

1. Live Poll

Do you agree with the Act implementation?

6 votes
    1. Yes.
      66.67%
    2. No.
      33.33%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• SilverishGoldNovaSilverishGoldNova 1201 Pts   -  
    Unless I'm confused, I think it was abolished already? 
    I am no longer active on DebateIsland or any debate website. Many things I have posted here and on other sites (Such as believing in the flat Earth theory or other conspiracy theories such as those that are about the Las Vegas Shooting or 9/11) do not reflect on my current views. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1p6M-VgXHwwdpJarhyQYapBz-kRc6FrgdOLFAd3IfYz8/edit

https://debateisland.com/discussion/comment/18248/#Comment_18248 (Me officially stating that I am no longer a flat-Earther)
  • AlairesAlaires 38 Pts   -  
    It was by Obama. The resolution is focused on "should" (like it should be kept vs should be abolished based on its regulations and effects). @SilverishGoldNova
  • SilverishGoldNovaSilverishGoldNova 1201 Pts   -  
    Well, it was one of the few good decisions Obama made.
    I am no longer active on DebateIsland or any debate website. Many things I have posted here and on other sites (Such as believing in the flat Earth theory or other conspiracy theories such as those that are about the Las Vegas Shooting or 9/11) do not reflect on my current views. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1p6M-VgXHwwdpJarhyQYapBz-kRc6FrgdOLFAd3IfYz8/edit

https://debateisland.com/discussion/comment/18248/#Comment_18248 (Me officially stating that I am no longer a flat-Earther)
  • someone234someone234 647 Pts   -  
    I don't get it, how is this a good thing?
    How is it good that it was abolished?
  • NopeNope 397 Pts   -  
    someone234
    The no child left behind act put to much importance on test and had school have to get improving test scores or suffer the consicunces. It goals may not have been bad but it way of achieving the goals is often thought of as bad. Federal common core is no more. : )
    @Nope so what do they compete by now then?
  • VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -   edited March 2018
    The removal of the No Child Left Behind act was good because:

1. NCLB was a system that destroyed standards for education across the board by removing and replacing educators' ability to evaluate their own students for their learning potential and instead insisted that children be purely evaluated by their ability to take a test.

2. The tests that NCLB required were designed by Frederick J. Kelly and the Man himself stated "These tests are too crude to be used and should be abandoned".  Standardized tests and the required preparation for them cuts 44% of the curriculum out of schools so that kids can learn how to take these tests that are too crude to be used.

3. NCLB removed educators' ability to use customized education plans for Children who learn differently and instead requires public education establishments to standardize their methods of teaching and binds the hands of educators from adjusting their teaching for Children who have unique learning methods.  Each brain is different, all brains cannot learn the same way...NCLB did not recognize that.

4. NCLB was designed to make states look better in education, if everyone takes the same test...we can get the numbers up on paper and you can't argue with numbers.  The problems is that taking standardized tests does nothing to educate Children and does not adequately prepare anyone for anything other that...you guessed it...taking tests.

@someone234

Children in school are competing against the established percentage now.  Meaning if the School requires you to successfully complete your schoolwork, homework, study material AND testing withn 70%...then your grade must meet the 70% mark.  Schools are required to adhere to curriculum standards but each state varies on curriculum.

SilverishGoldNovaFascism
    "If there's no such thing as a question then what kind of questions do people ask"?

"There's going to be a special place in Hell for people who spread lies through the veil of logical fallacies disguised as rational argument".

"Oh, you don't like my sarcasm?  Well I don't much appreciate your stup!d".

@Vaulk what's the alternative?
  • VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -  
    @someone234

The alternative is the program as it stood before No Child Left Behind.  Keep in mind this program didn't undo the original education program, it merely suppressed it and forced a curb.
    "If there's no such thing as a question then what kind of questions do people ask"?

"There's going to be a special place in Hell for people who spread lies through the veil of logical fallacies disguised as rational argument".

"Oh, you don't like my sarcasm?  Well I don't much appreciate your stup!d".

• AmericanFurryBoyAmericanFurryBoy 531 Pts   -  
    I dont really like standardized testing, but I think it’s helpful. I know it seems but it really has helped me improve my grades in ELA(a type of english class, st ands for English Language Arts), and math.
    Not every quote you read on the internet is true- Abraham Lincoln
  • cdog1950cdog1950 27 Pts   -  
    Then act was replaced by the: 

The Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) is a US law passed in December 2015 that governs the United States K–12 public education policy.[1] The law replaced its predecessor, the No Child Left Behind Act (NCLB), and modified but did not eliminate provisions relating to the periodic standardized tests given to students.[2][3] Like the No Child Left Behind Act, ESSA is a reauthorization of the 1965 Elementary and Secondary Education Act, which established the federal government's expanded role in public education. (Wikipedia)

The simple fact is that everything in this country is now bought and paid for by corporate interests. The purpose of education at one time was to give a person the ability to think. A large part of that does involve supplying the student with the background knowledge (which requires a diverse curriculum) to make decisions. That is no longer the case. Much of primary and secondary education is now based on getting students past standardized tests. The entire purpose is to produce a worker with only the background skills necessary for their job. Thinking is now anathema to students and to much of our population.  Most students now enter college with the idea that college is a four year technical school. Sadly, colleges are now all about the money, and they tend to perpetuate that fallacy. There is nothing at all wrong with a technical degree, however, a country with a population which is largely illiterate in basic science, history, art, literature (etc.) is a recipe for social disaster.