frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Lawmaker proposes unusual way to deal with school bullying

Debate Information

Article -
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/pennsylvania-lawmaker-frank-burns-proposes-fining-parents-500-for-childs-bullying/

The first time a child bullies someone, the school is required to inform his or her parents how the school handled the situation. Parents would have to take a class on bullying and attend a bullying resolution conference the second time. The third time, parents would receive a court citation and pay up to a $500 fine.

Is it an effective way to prevent bullying?
  1. Live Poll

is it a good idea?

5 votes
    1. Yes
        0.00%
    2. No
      100.00%
Live Long and Prosper

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
22%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• PoguePogue 584 Pts   -  
    No, it is not a good idea. It does not effectively deter the bully. It only gets the parents in trouble. It does not help the victim speak out either. 

To recap it. It punishes the parents and even fines them (which it might deter the bully but not definite) and it does not help the victim speak out or help the bully stop. 
    I could either have the future pass me or l could create it. 

“We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain .” - Benjamin Franklin  So flat Earthers, man-made climate change deniers, and just science deniers.

I friended myself! 
  • CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -  
    I thought his previous bill was more interesting;

Burns, who formed and became chairman of the Blue Lives Matter caucus nearly a year ago, is the prime sponsor of H.B. 158, which would make assaulting a police officer a hate crime, resulting in a  one-degree increase in the criminal penalty. He has also sponsored separate legislation, H.B. 1857, which would stiffen the penalty for fleeing or eluding police, especially in cases where an officer or member of the public is killed or seriously injured.

http://www.pahouse.com/Burns/InTheNews/NewsRelease/?id=96059

PogueBaconToes
  • someone234someone234 647 Pts   -  
    @agsr Abusive children tend to come from abusive households. This kid is going to get punished harsher and treated worse, the more his/her parents get in trouble and take the anger from their mistreatment of him/her on the others at their school. This is beyond belief.
  • MajoMILSdlGMGVMajoMILSdlGMGV 103 Pts   -  
    I agree that this is not an efficient solution to the problem. Bullies usually project their problems and insecurities onto others, so that gives you some insight as to what he/she is going through. The best way to deal with bullying is to educate teachers as to how to handle bullying the right way, as well as educate the children on how to handle bullying, as well as a direct intervention with the bully himself. 
    someone234
    @MajoMILSdlGMGV Also, even if it succeeds in stopping the bully from bullying, they are likely to self-harm and become extremely self-critical the harsher their parents are on them.
  • WilliamSchulzWilliamSchulz 255 Pts   -  
    But would the parents really care? I know I sound a bit cynical here, but if a child is bullying, it is sometimes because the family is negligent and abusive to the child. If anything, the good that might come out of this program is detecting whether the parents might be at fault for this. I don't like the bill at all, but because bullying can occur for many reasons, this could be one way to detect one of them.
    someone234
    A good debate is not judged by bias, but in the context of the debate, where objectivity is key and rationale prevalent. 

@WilliamSchulz Wrong, this will not help with the detection of bad parenting. It will, if anything, make them be more brutal and keep their child from expressing their frustration in any way whatsoever.
  • WilliamSchulzWilliamSchulz 255 Pts   -  
    His frustration would only be limited inside the home, outside the home, he is free to do whatever he pleases. I was simply referring to causes and how the process might stop the cause to save the effect.
    A good debate is not judged by bias, but in the context of the debate, where objectivity is key and rationale prevalent. 

• MajoMILSdlGMGVMajoMILSdlGMGV 103 Pts   -  
    @MajoMILSdlGMGV Also, even if it succeeds in stopping the bully from bullying, they are likely to self-harm and become extremely self-critical the harsher their parents are on them.
    @someone234 that's why, in my opinion every single school should have a psychologist to which they children can attend in order not to self-harm or become extremely self-critical. When I say psychologist I don't mean a counsellors or other teachers, I mean professionals in children psychology.

There are many other ways to channel frustration and to deal with an unhealthy family life. That might be through art, sports, social activities, having a support network around these children is essential for their mental health and stability and schools should be able to provide that.