frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Reddit Neutral Politics - r/NeutralPolitics - is extreme moderation the best answer?

Debate Information

Reddit Neutral Politics

is a higher-quality sub of Reddit Politics family, with over 150 thousands subscribers.   While Reddit Politics sub is arguably the highest volume site for discussing politics (  Reddit r/Politics site has over 8.3 million subscribers), Reddit Neutral Politics has the most civil content out there in Reddit.

Neutral Politics is a community dedicated to evenhanded, empirical discussion of political issues. It is a space to discuss policy and the tone of political debate.

Is Reddit Neutral Politics a subreddit for people who are politically neutral?
No - in fact we welcome and encourage any viewpoint to engage in discussion. The idea behind r/NeutralPolitics is to set up a neutral space where those of differing opinions can come together and rationally lay out their respective arguments. We are neutral in that no political opinion is favored here - only facts and logic. Your post or comment will be judged not by its perspective, but by its style, rationale, and informational content.

There are 2 questions I would like to Debate regarding Reddit NeutralPolitics
1)does Reddit Neutral Politics strict (and I argue extreme moderation) the most effective way to end up with a great user experience while having high quality content?
2) Is Reddit Neutral Politics the best option to debate politics?

Reddit Neutral Politics r/NeutralPolitics Extreme moderation
It is ironic that Reddit, designed for open community view is so highly moderated, with Reddit Neutral Politics being one of the most extreme examples.
Reddit censorship gave a boost to a competitor Voat, which vows for a much lower level of moderation.
If reddit Neutral politics users rely on moderators to triple check their work, like college professors, then you get a feeling of high-pressure college essay situation and rely on the moderators to make censorship decisions.  Moderators make a call if tone of the submission is biased or disrespectful in any way, the source is not strong enough, or if any of the other rules are not strictly followed.
I also argue that heavily moderated content doesn't result in neutral political content, but in many ways biased political content.
The one key benefit of heavy moderation is that published language is much more respectful than the rest of Reddit, but as we see at DebateIsland.com community self moderation by flagging inappropriate comments works just as well, without making it a Big Brother debate site.

Is Reddit Neutral Politics  r/NeutralPolitics the best option to debate?
I argue that it is not.  The same structural issues that plague the rest of Reddit Politics regarding debating apply to Neutral Politics, with an exception of vulgar language, but adding heavy censorship.

Reddit Politics - Is Reddit Politics good for online debating?
The structure of Reddit discussions is not meant for debating, as each comment takes you in a different direction, making it difficult to advocate specific positions.  It is a polar opposite of debate.org, which forces you in a very strict 1-1 multiple rounds format.  The similarity between debate.org and Reddit r/NeutralPolitics is that both have high censorship rules (although in very different ways).
The other key feature missing from Reddit Neutral Politics (r/NeutralPolitics) is polls.  To review results of a debate, one has to go through various comments, and often sub-comments.  While upvoting of comments is useful, since there are no stated pro and con positions, everything in r/NeutralPolitics just becomes branches and sub-branches.
DebateIsland solves both problems of censorship and polls, by having a community with essentially self-moderation by community (users flag inappropriate content for the moderator), and an elegant debate experience that is casual and just works.  Political discussions on DebateIsland are structured in forms of debates, but are normally not evolved into multiple sub-threads and stay focused on specific stated positions within each poll, providing further flavor/supporting arguments.

Coming back to the broader topic, of why people go to places like Reddit Neutral Politics To discuss and debate politics.
One set of users go there to read about political trends and opinions.  I think that passive listeners will find Reddit Neutral Politics r/NeutralPolitics a great resource.  It has lots of content, has latest news, and a deep dive really provides a diversity of perspectives.

Those who look to participate in the r/NeutralPolitics discussions, want to either gain acceptance and respect of the Reddit community, or want their voice to be heard.  I'd say that if one is willing to commit to doing some homework, that can be a gratifying experience. The mixed results will come in for the novice and more casual users, who will be frustrated with rejection of their content or if their discussion gets hijacked into multiple unstructured directions by other users replying to their thread.

Those who come to Reddit Neutral Politics specifically to debate (not discuss) political topics, will likely have a similar experience as posting a comment in a WashingtonPost article.
DebateIsland
  1. Live Poll

Is Reddit Neutral Politics strict moderation effective?

3 votes
    1. Yes - Reddit Neutral Politics strict moderation is effective
      33.33%
    2. No - Reddit Neutral Politics strict moderation is ineffective
      66.67%
  2. Live Poll

Is Reddit Neutral Politics the best option to debate politics?

3 votes
    1. Yes - Reddit Neutral Politics is the best option to debate politics
        0.00%
    2. No - Reddit Neutral Politics is not a good option to debate politics
      100.00%
Live Long and Prosper

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
22%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• love2debatelove2debate 186 Pts   -  
    I actually like reading Reddit Neutral Politics, and their content is high quality.  Reddit Neutral Politics is fairly balanced, and you don't normally see liberals attacking Trump supporters.  
    I tried to post in Neutral Politics a few times, and it was just way too much work.  The moderator kept rejecting my posting because they didn't like my sources.  
    DebateIsland is much better for debating.
  • joecavalryjoecavalry 430 Pts   -  
    No, extreme is deifinitely not the way to go.
    DebateIslander and a DebateIsland.com lover.