frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Boom or Bust: Stark Partisan Divide on How Consumers View Economy - Your Opinion, boom or bust?

Debate Information

consumer sentiment has diverged in an unprecedented way, with Republicans convinced that a boom is at hand, and Democrats foreseeing an imminent recession.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/08/business/economy/the-picture-of-our-economy-looks-a-lot-like-a-rorschach-test.html

https://www.google.com/search?q=Partisan+Divide+on+How+Consumers+View+Economy&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us

1. Live Poll

Boom or Bust: Stark Partisan Divide on How Consumers View Economy - Is boom at hand or recession?

6 votes
    1. Results show economic boom
      66.67%
    2. Results show bust - recession is coming
      33.33%
WhyTrump - a good question

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• WhyTrumpWhyTrump 234 Pts   -  
    March data shows a sharp drop in job creation and is indicative of upcoming recession. Last month Trump took credit for a spike in job growth, given announcements and corporate decisions that were made prior to his election that was an unfair claim.  Now Trump supporters are pointing to unemployment numbers lookimg low, but ignoring the job growth drop which is far more important.  That is data cherry picking and is just convincing themselves.

Boom or Bust: Stark Partisan Divide on How Consumers View Economy? 

I say bust. The Winter is coming :wink: 
    WhyTrump - a good question
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    I'd say that focus should be on historic low unemployment growth, not a temporary slow down of job creation numbers. Tha said, it is fascinating how polarized the views are on this.  While democrats are claiming that "the Winter is coming", I will debate that more likely a combination of current results and planned Trump policies will make job creation numbers much stronger.  We are looking at lagging economic indicators with job creation numbers, and it's more important to predict impact on these numbers by planned policies.
    Live Long and Prosper
  • love2debatelove2debate 186 Pts   -  
    There are often mixed results in economic data, but I believe we should be more optimistic towards boom than recession with these numbers.  We will get an additional read when Fed makes their interest rate decision.  If they raise the rates that will show confidence in the economic prospects.
  • ale5ale5 263 Pts   -  
    The results are mixed, and I would put more emphasis on the slowdown of job creation as an area of concern
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible
    - Walt Disney
  • islander507islander507 194 Pts   -  
    It is interesting how so many things are polarized right now. I lean towards a positive outlook, but it is clearly mixed.